Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
UrKungFuNoGood
Human being with feelings

Default Apply Volume Swells to MIDI items?

So you know how in a score you have the notation < for crescendo and > for decrescendo?
How can I apply this to say, 10 different tracks mixed up with MIDI and wav takes? I'd like to have four bars of volume swell across multiple tracks with hundreds of notes.
I don't really want to start rendering the MIDI tracks to audio since I'm still tweaking levels and dynamics but I just want to get better immersion into the piece as I work.
UrKungFuNoGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:33 AM   #2
Tagirijus

Hey there,

first up: I am not sure, if I understand you 100% correct and also I am quite new to Reaper as well.

If you'd really like to just have some simple volume automation accross multiple tracks, I would either:

1. Create a group and automate the groups volume:

2. ... or create a volume automation for every track by hand, create an envelope item with Alt+Left-Click (I think it's the default shortcut), make the envelope and copy it with Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Left-Drag (I think this is the default setting for pooled copy):

Is this what you wanted to do? Hope this helps!
Old 03-29-2020, 04:48 AM   #3
Phazma

Am I right that you want the dynamics (=velocity) of your midi instruments to increase aswell as the Audio (before any Fx on the track)? I usually don’t need this so I am not sure, but iirc automating the Volume (pre-fx) instead of the normal Volume should do just that. Just draw the desired envelope for one track, copy it and paste it to all other tracks.
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
Tagirijus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
but iirc automating the Volume (pre-fx) instead of the normal Volume should do just that.
I just tested it and yes: Pre-Volume affects the MIDI velocity, wow. Cool information, thank you!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
UrKungFuNoGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagirijus View Post
Hey there,

first up: I am not sure, if I understand you 100% correct and also I am quite new to Reaper as well.

If you'd really like to just have some simple volume automation accross multiple tracks, I would either:

Is this what you wanted to do? Hope this helps!
YES! Thank you! :cheers:
UrKungFuNoGood is offline   Reply With Quote