Old 03-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
R_MacFadyen
Human being with feelings

Default UR22 and Windows 10

Hey folks...wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem and if anyone has found a workaround. I have a Steinberg UR22 MK2, into an HP G62 laptop, running Reaper, on a Windows 10 OS. Hardware is 8 gigs of RAM and a 500GB SSD hard drive. The issue I'm experiencing seems to be a conflict between Win 10 and my UR22. I'm getting frequent audio "distortion/dropouts" - even when playing regular audio files through the stock media player in WIN 10 (not just in my DAW).

This distortion is occurring in an almost cyclical pattern - every few seconds or so. When I unplug the interface and use the laptop's onboard sound card the issue no longer exists so, like I said, it appears there's a conflict between WIN 10 and the UR22 itself. Again, is anyone else experiencing this, and has anyone found a fix?

(NOTE: I just recently upgraded from WIN 7 to 10, with more or less the same hardware...never ever experienced this problem on WIN 7)

Last edited by R_MacFadyen; 03-20-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: forgot to add this...
R_MacFadyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
Stella645

USB selective suspend disabled?
USB hub power saving disabled?
Windows power management set to high performance?
Does it do it on battery as well as plugged in?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
dug dog

UR44 and Win10 are fine here.
A quick thing to check is to turn off WIFI and Bluetooth and see if anything changes.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
nofish

You could check what LatencyMon reports.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
JamesPeters

I had the same symptoms with that interface when I used wireless internet on my computers (it did the same thing on 2 different machines). I searched and found others with the same issue. That was years ago with Windows 7 so I don't know if it's still an issue with current drivers and on Windows 10. You could temporarily disable your wireless ethernet device as a troubleshooting step.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:25 AM   #6
solger

In addition to the suggestions above, here are some links with general hints about DAW optimization:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
fiberglassfungus

I am using a UR22 mkii with no issues on Windows 10. There was recently (March 4th) a driver update. I think something changed in Windows which was causing some users problems.

I never had issues before or after the driver update, but I've done all the things recommended in here like the power management and USB settings

You may want to check if your motherboard has the most up to date BIOS and Chipset drivers. When I used UR22 on a Win7 system a few years ago, I had audio drop outs before I updated the motherboard
fiberglassfungus is offline   Reply With Quote