# OSX: fade editor initial focus change
# OSX: fixed weird behaviors potentially occuring when splash screen is open
rob.manderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
planetnine
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetnine
Can I assume that at this stage, the project file structure for these fades will not take any retrograde steps, before release now please?

I'd like to use the pre, but don't want my RPP files to end up with unrecognised fades in future releases.

Many thanks...
Didn't see the new pre

>
Old 10-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
hopi

um, something wrong with the dl from lol...

have tried dl 3 times for the 32 b it windows installer and when run it fails the integrity check... anyone else have a problem?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
bradleyfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
um, something wrong with the dl from lol...

have tried dl 3 times for the 32 b it windows installer and when run it fails the integrity check... anyone else have a problem?
Try it again hopi, after reading your post I dl'd it, and it's working fine, both versions.
Steve
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
hopi

Steve... damn I just it again and still something strange for me... the dl runs way too fast and the installer won't run..

I'll try it a diff way and see... very, very odd... never had that happen before

EDIT... OK got it... don't have a clue why there was ever a prob. but had to use a diff browser and it came down just fine...

ever on
Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
musicbynumbers

Default Project bay: fixed loading of bays in certain instances

Cool!

Does this fix media items in the source bay not staying inside their folders on re-loading a song?
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Kundalinguist

I just re-posted this prerelease - am I too late?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.manderson View Post
+ Project bay: fixed loading of bays in certain instances
so far so good! still testing......
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Can we have pan/width input fields in the dialog that appears when we right-click on the pan/width knob(s)? It's a necessary addition, in my opinion (it doesn't make sense that this feature is going to be implemented and it's not there where most people would expect it).
This is the right time to add it, please.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
hopi

agree with MN... same for another tiny niggle about input fields... on the FX UI's... the Wet knob... a rt clk to get a type in field would be nice...

then I could enter Wet: 56.389525569% and keep that value the same for several FX's... [that part is a joke, but the rest is not]
Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
can we have pan/width input fields in the dialog that appears when we right-click on the pan/width knob(s)? It's a necessary addition, in my opinion (it doesn't make sense that this feature is going to be implemented and it's not there where most people would expect it).
This is the right time to add it, please.
I disagree. Those values can already be entered manually when you click I/O, so it is not "necessary" at all. And for the sake of consistency, it should work the same as when right-clicking the track volume slider/knob: open the Routing window with focus on the value that has been right-clicked. I'd much rather see pan law and mode controls added to the I/O window (since pan / balance is about how much of a signal should go to which outputs), and get rid of the Pan Law window.

I also don't think users would "expect" to have to right-click the *control* instead of its value display, simply because users would not expect REAPER's UI to behave like a point-and-click puzzle. That only goes for users like us, who have become accustomed to REAPER and its many quirks. New users would rather try to right-click the value, get annoyed when it does not work, and confused when they don't see how to do it. Note that the Pan Law window can *only* be opened by right-clicking while the pointer is hovering over the knob/slider, NOT when hovering over the value display itself. (Same for 'mouse-wheel scrolling': it does not work when the pointer is over the value display). Moreover, this behaviour is inconsistent: e.g. clicking to select or double-clicking (to reset the value) works when hovering the pointer over both the control and the display.

Btw, I don't see why it would be a better time right now to fix this particular issue than any other. As I have mentioned before, I'd much rather see an entire pre cycle dedicated to cleaning up the mess and making the UX more consistent, instead of adding new features. There is enough to keep us busy for quite a while.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
As I have mentioned before, I'd much rather see an entire pre cycle dedicated to cleaning up the mess and making the UX more consistent, instead of adding new features. There is enough to keep us busy for quite a while.
BIG BIG +1 here...Ableton Live 9 just been announced and althrough no really cool features added (for me), i once again took a deep breath and remember how i miss its UX feel...

Last edited by Viente; 10-25-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
I disagree. Those values can already be entered manually when you click I/O, so it is not "necessary" at all. And for the sake of consistency, it should work the same as when right-clicking the track volume slider/knob: open the Routing window with focus on the value that has been right-clicked. I'd much rather see pan law and mode controls added to the I/O window (since pan / balance is about how much of a signal should go to which outputs), and get rid of the Pan Law window.

I also don't think users would "expect" to have to right-click the *control* instead of its value display, simply because users would not expect REAPER's UI to behave like a point-and-click puzzle. That only goes for users like us, who have become accustomed to REAPER and its many quirks. New users would rather try to right-click the value, get annoyed when it does not work, and confused when they don't see how to do it. Note that the Pan Law window can *only* be opened by right-clicking while the pointer is hovering over the knob/slider, NOT when hovering over the value display itself. (Same for 'mouse-wheel scrolling': it does not work when the pointer is over the value display). Moreover, this behaviour is inconsistent: e.g. clicking to select or double-clicking (to reset the value) works when hovering the pointer over both the control and the display.

Btw, I don't see why it would be a better time right now to fix this particular issue than any other. As I have mentioned before, I'd much rather see an entire pre cycle dedicated to cleaning up the mess and making the UX more consistent, instead of adding new features. There is enough to keep us busy for quite a while.
Right-click on knobs, sliders or values..... display the pan law window, the routing window, my house window, it doesn't really matter, banned. The thing is most people would expect to enter a desired value by "touching" that parameter they want to change (right now you have to right-click on the volume slider which is very weird). It is the right time to work on this because it was implemented in this pre-cycle so I wouldn't like to end up with an unpolished feature.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Right-click on knobs, sliders or values..... display the pan law window, the routing window, my house window, it doesn't really matter, banned.
I don't understand what you're trying to say there. If it doesn't matter, you should not complain - it can already be done. If it does matter, and I think it does, it should be fixed. But not in the manner you propose.
Quote:
The thing is most people would expect to enter a desired value by "touching" that parameter they want to change (right now you have to right-click on the volume slider which is very weird). It is the right time to work on this because it was implemented in this pre-cycle so I wouldn't like to end up with an unpolished feature.
I think most users would expect to be able to click-drag a value field, and use keys for decrement/increment, much rather than right-clicking - and if so, they'd try to click the value field itself first. I agree completely that right-clicking the volume slider to set a pan value is too weird. But you don't "have to" - you can also click the I/O button. And as I explained before, it would be much more consistent and logical to use the I/O window instead of a separate window for Pan Law, for the same reasons we got rid of the redundant Track Controls window during this pre. Imho we end up with a very unpolished feature just the same if the devs would do exactly what you ask.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
gofer
-blänk-

Crossfade editor: Is it of any benefit to be able to mute both sides of the fade when auditioning? If not, I'd prefer to have "Mute left side" and "Mute right side" to be exclusive. Right now, to switch from one to the other side two clicks are necessary, because we have to unmute first. Enabling "Mute left" could disable "Mute right" and vice versa, no?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
Sexan

Quote:
I don't understand what you're trying to say there. If it doesn't matter, you should not complain - it can already be done. If it does matter, and I think it does, it should be fixed. But not in the manner you propose.

I think most users would expect to be able to click-drag a value field, and use keys for decrement/increment, much rather than right-clicking - and if so, they'd try to click the value field itself first. I agree completely that right-clicking the volume slider to set a pan value is too weird. But you don't "have to" - you can also click the I/O button. And as I explained before, it would be much more consistent and logical to use the I/O window instead of a separate window for Pan Law, for the same reasons we got rid of the redundant Track Controls window during this pre. Imho we end up with a very unpolished feature just the same if the devs would do exactly what you ask.
I disagree, double clicking or right clicking on a value is always expected to manual edit it even if it opens IO dialog,it does't need its own window.I've never seen a program that changes value when draging it please can you post some examples of programs that does that?If they didnt add the behaviour for text input no one would ask for this.IMO it belongs to this pre
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Crossfade editor: Is it of any benefit to be able to mute both sides of the fade when auditioning? If not, I'd prefer to have "Mute left side" and "Mute right side" to be exclusive. Right now, to switch from one to the other side two clicks are necessary, because we have to unmute first. Enabling "Mute left" could disable "Mute right" and vice versa, no?
A small amendment; maybe that would make more sense if it were solo and it were exclusive.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
I disagree, double clicking or right clicking on a value is always expected to manual edit it even if it opens IO dialog,it does't need its own window.I've never seen a program that changes value when draging it please can you post some examples of programs that does that?If they didnt add the behaviour for text input no one would ask for this.IMO it belongs to this pre
I think you misunderstand my point there. I wasn't implying that isn't the expected result (I agree, it is); I was merely pointing out that right-clicking the *knob* is probably not the *first* thing most *new* users would try.

But I'm glad you agree that it does not need its own window. And it seems quite obvious to me that right-clicking the value field itself should do the same, before we can speak of anything 'polished'.

As for click-dragging, I suggest you check out Ableton Live or Logic Pro, and probably some others.