Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
afaik
Human being with feelings

Default Possible incompatibility or too slow?

I am getting pops when playing a 10 track project in Reaper 3.74. The pops move around so they aren't in the tracks themselves; the tracks aren't clipping.

Hardware:
Dell GX280 P4 2.8GHz
3gb DDR2 PC2-5300 ram
500gb eSATA 7200rpm drive for projects (via eSATA PCI-Express card; only device connected to card)
256gb SATA 7200rpm drive for Wiondows 7 pro

What I'm using for sound is a Behringer 1204 USB
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/1204USB.aspx

... running via control room out to some monitors. It is the only device plugged into a USB 2.0 pci card.

I am using ASIO drivers.

Nothing is running in the background to eat up cpu cycles. CPU usage when playing the track averages about 60% and never goes above 75%. I have the ASIO driver set to "Highest" priority within Reaper's prefs.

Is it possible that my computer's processor just isn't fast enough to handle a multi-track project?

I have a Tascam US-1641 coming in this afternoon and am wondering if I should even bother setting it up on this machine if the machine can't handle multitracking.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by afaik; 01-13-2011 at 12:23 PM.
afaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
afaik

Just a little additional info: I don't really believe that I need low-latency for anything. For example, if I have 10 tracks playing and want to add a new track I can just monitor it from the interface and not through Reaper.

SO, if I understand it correctly, I don't need to crank down the latency for any particular reason.

Is there just one "buffer" setting or one in the driver and one in Reaper and/or another one elsewhere? I set it, in the ASIO driver, to the max, 2048 I think, to no avail.

This machine is exclusively for Reaper, so setting all settings for Reaper to use 100% of resources would cause no problem at all.

Last edited by afaik; 01-13-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
afaik

It looks like for ~$55 I can upgrade the CPU to a P4 3.8Ghz . If, in fact, the 2.8Ghz IS the issue, would that upgrade put me into the "should work fine" wheelhouse?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Fabian

I have a GX270 standing beside me. Took it home from work. I equipped it with extra memory, and an audio optimized XP, but I never got it to be very useful for Reaper.

Upgrading the CPU could maybe give you some extra power, but I don't think you can change the bus frequency, and the memory is still what it is, so I wouldn't do it. But then, I don't know...

There is only one buffer setting, and that's in the ASIO driver. Reaper communicates with the driver so it knows what buffer size to use.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
afaik

I've found an interesting phenomenon, perhaps this will help with the diagnosis.

I only get the pops/crackles when Reaper is the active window. I can hit play and leave Reaper the active window and get the pops. I can also hit play and select another full-screen window and the project plays perfectly. Additionally, I can hit play and bring up a small non-full-screen window and the project plays perfectly.

So, this apparently isn't a CPU issue. Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Steve36

Hey afaik...you could try updating/changing your video card drivers...your cpu/ram should be fine...I was running 40 odd tracks of audio on a pentium 1.8 ghz laptop with 500mb of ram (about 30 plugs) with no issues...have you tried running dpclat http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ghlight=dpclat to check for other process/conflict issues...?

Steve
Steve36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
afaik

After running through four video drivers (possibly all there are compatible with Windows 7) I have come to the conclusion that my video driver is not the issue.

I have found, however, that in Reaper's settings, changing the audio device from ASIO to Waveout alleviates my issue.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
jazzdude

Default Just worked through pops and clicks issue

I have a thread posted "pops and Clicks" and have been working on the issue for a couple of days with the help of folks on the forum. Inspiron 1520, Vista optimized for audio, 4g of ram, record at 96k ,and a tascam 1641. I have also had this issue in the past.

Until know I have not done any special to my computer for audio other than to optimize. Recently, I was playing a track that has 15 tracks, 10 plugins, and usually runs about 50% of CPU usage. suddenly it was running at 105%, individual pulgins were running at 2x. unplayable with pops and clicks throughout the track.

With the help of dpclat latency checker and others on the forum, started to shut down everything on the computer. Everything in start up, all unused USB ports, webcam, dvd/player, wireless, still not much progress.....Threw a set of headphones across the room, still no progress...out $100...

got rid of the wireless mouse....can't get rid of much more. Shut down the system and pulled the Battery...booted back up.

Then got a message that my interface could run faster, then started to bring up the USB ports and played my track...CPU usage drastically downaround 15% Plugin down from 60% to 24%...started bring it all back up with the latency checker on.....the onlytime I red lined latency checker is when I hot plugged in the outboard backup drive....self induced spike but then down to good levels...

Hope this helps
jazzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
afaik

Are you saying that your problem was your laptop's battery? That doesn't sound right to me.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
jazzdude

Default Pulling the Battery

Afaik,

I did all of the standard things like reload the drivers. A fresh reload of reaper helped a bit early on...but the final fix was to pull the battery and put it back in....nothing I did had as immediate an impact....

Many of my colleagues at work have solved a great many problems on Dell Laptops by pulling the battery and putting it back in....I have no explanation. I am just pissed it took me so long to think of it...

This may not be applicable to your situation However, it is a slow process to work through...Also pull the interface and watch the latency meter....
jazzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
afaik

I found that in Reaper's settings, changing the audio device from ASIO to Waveout alleviates my issue.

That fixed my issue while using the Behringer 1204USB.

I now have a TASCAM US-1641 and can use the ASIO device (in Reaper settings) with no issues.