Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-14-2018, 04:34 AM   #1
acebone
Human being with feelings

Default Stretch a sample to match beat at any pitch

I have a wav-sound with some rhythmic pulses in ...

I'd like to use that sound at different pitches - but tempomatched.

I tried Reasamplomatic5000 - but as far as I can see, that option does not exist. I also tried to download Grace - but since I'm on Linux/Wine - I can't make it work at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:51 AM   #2
mpl

So stretch item to tempo once, then just change its pitch.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:33 AM   #3
acebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
So stretch item to tempo once, then just change its pitch.
Nope - that way I can't play it from my keyboard
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
mpl

hmm I don`t know is there easier solution but i would ask in JSFX forum for modding superpitch JSFX to make its pitch transpose value controlled by incoming MIDi pitch into same effect. And trigger you loop through RS5k in "Sample (Ignore MIDI note)" mode.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #5
farjedi

As there is no way to map samples in Reasamp you will need a 3rd party sampler.

Then you'll have to take your sample and by pitching and time stretching render a bank of samples(or by using Reapitch and shifting the pitch up a semitone at at time. I haven't compared the quality to the other method). Bare in mind the further away you get from the original sample the more artefacts will be audible.

Once you have the required number of notes set up a region around each note and render to a folder.

You then will have to map these samples into your sampler placing each sample onto the corresponding piano key.

Maybe there are samplers that can do this automatically but I'm pretty basic, I use NewSonicArts Nuance. It might be possible without the hoops with Kontakt 5 but it's a lot of coin.
farjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 AM   #6
acebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post
Then you'll have to take your sample and by pitching and time stretching render a bank of samples(or by using Reapitch and shifting the pitch up a semitone at at time. I haven't compared the quality to the other method). Bare in mind the further away you get from the original sample the more artefacts will be audible.

Once you have the required number of notes set up a region around each note and render to a folder.

You then will have to map these samples into your sampler placing each sample onto the corresponding piano key.

Maybe there are samplers that can do this automatically but I'm pretty basic, I use NewSonicArts Nuance. It might be possible without the hoops with Kontakt 5 but it's a lot of coin.
I might try that out, thanks a lot. As I told MPL above, I'm new to Reaper and I thought that my question was trivial and that the answer would be straightforward
Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post
As there is no way to map samples in Reasamp you will need a 3rd party sampler.

You can't map samples in reaSamplomatic5000? Sure you can. Just load a sample and adjust the key range. If you mean multi sample mapping, you easy can manage it with several instances of reaSamplomatic5000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxEGphq0Gck
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #8
acebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
hmm I don`t know is there easier solution but i would ask in JSFX forum for modding superpitch JSFX to make its pitch transpose value controlled by incoming MIDi pitch into same effect. And trigger you loop through RS5k in "Sample (Ignore MIDI note)" mode.
I'm quite new to Reaper, and I thought that what I was asking was much easier to achieve. I'll check out superpitch (I don't know it) and then maybe follow you advise - after all, it could be a nice feature to have.

On another topic: Yesterday I tried to download your Midi-quantize-everything-tool - but the dl link to github is dead? Where can I get it?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebone View Post
I have a wav-sound with some rhythmic pulses in ...

I'd like to use that sound at different pitches - but tempomatched.

I tried Reasamplomatic5000 - but as far as I can see, that option does not exist. I also tried to download Grace - but since I'm on Linux/Wine - I can't make it work at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
No need for another sampler. Just import your loop tempo matched and resample the loop several times at the needed pitch levels. Load those samples into different Reasamplomatic5000 and adjust the keys to every pitch. Thats 5- 10 minutes of work. Just saying! IF you need further help ... ask!

Is this for a live performance or why don't you just automate the loop pitch in your project?
Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #10
acebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
No need for another sampler. Just import your loop tempo matched and resample the loop several times at the needed pitch levels. Load those samples into different Reasamplomatic5000 and adjust the keys to every pitch. Thats 5- 10 minutes of work. Just saying! IF you need further help ... ask!

Actually - this would be very easy to do using the media-explorer:

Insert sound - change pitch - insert sound again - change pitch ... etc.

After that: Assign each sound to it's own RS5K and do the keymapping.

Right?

I'm going to try out your suggestion ASAP - thnx alot!

Quote:
Is this for a live performance or why don't you just automate the loop pitch in your project?

Thing is that this particular sound creates a great "mysterious" kind of ambience if you layer it at different pitches, different starting times, random pan-sweeps etc. I found out because I used RS5K to trigger it and was fiddling with the settings. I fell in love with the effect - but the different tempos made it "not right" for the tune I'm doing.

So I tried just duplicating the sound-item and fiddle with each duplicate, and of course this works. However the process of fiddling with the items took out the flow and spontaneity out of it.

So you could say that the aim is to record a live-performance of all these variations triggered at the players will - rather than having them meticulously plotted out with mouse and keyboard ("live" as in: In my little room ). In short: I can do a better job if I play them rather than "program" them. Hope it makes sense?

Last edited by acebone; 05-17-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: got so excited I forgot to add a thank-you :)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
Eliseat

Of course it makes sense. That's why i asked.

Hope it works like expected.

But i think it would be a nice request to let ReaSamplomatic5000 change pitch while keeping the sample length. This way it would be just an sample import and then playing it pitched on the keyboard. Don't be afraid to join the request forum. I would appreciate it.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
acebone

Quote:
Of course it makes sense. That's why i asked.

Hope it works like expected.

But i think it would be a nice request to let ReaSamplomatic5000 change pitch while keeping the sample length. This way it would be just an sample import and then playing it pitched on the keyboard. Don't be afraid to join the request forum. I would appreciate it.
I'll do that later tonight (or maybe tomorrow, depending ...). I'll let you know in a PM and then maybe you can second my request
Old 05-18-2018, 04:27 AM   #13
acebone

Eliseat: It works like a charm - thank you!
Old 05-18-2018, 04:29 AM   #14
acebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebone View Post
Actually - this would be very easy to do using the media-explorer:

Insert sound - change pitch - insert sound again - change pitch ... etc.

After that: Assign each sound to it's own RS5K and do the keymapping.

Right?

I'm going to try out your suggestion ASAP - thnx alot!
For future readers: This does not work. Reasampleomatic5000 only imports the underlying wav-file, not the transformations applied by the item. So any effects or envelopes on the item seems to be ignored, including the pitch-modification.

I ended up having to glue each pitched item.

Also: Changing the pitch in the mediaexplorer before insertion is a lame idea. It's much quicker to just import the sound unmodified once, then duplicate it and then use "item-properties" (F2) to change the pitch on them
Old 05-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #15
Eliseat

That's what I've thought and posted. You need to render every pitched item separately. This way you have at least the possibility to choose the best fitting algorithm. If it helps to achieve your goal? I don't know.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #16
acebone

Yes I know - I was just summing up so that other newbies won't get confused when they read my nonsense O:-)

And yes - it was exactly what I was looking for.

Now I have another problem: I'd like the samples to fade out when I release the keys, rather than ending abruptly. I've of course tried fiddling with the "sustain" knob ... but that wasn't it.

Can it be done at all?