Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
DJ Bedard
Human being with feelings

Default Persistent Crackling when Multitracking

So I'm currently trying to record and mix an EP for my solo project. For the guitars, I'm recording directly into a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2i2 and using the Archetype Nolly plugin. I've been getting some great tones out of it, but whenever I try to multitrack guitars, even the clean parts, I get a very annoying buzzing or crackling sound in my speakers. I've tried to EQ it out, I've tried noisegates, I've muted the strings I wasn't using, I've adjusted my buffer settings and I even went into my PC settings to disable power/CPU throttling to fix any latency issues. Nothing is working. That crackling and buzzing just isn't going away no matter what I try. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
DJ Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
domzy

can you narrow it down any further?
you say speakers, is it also happening on headphones?
have you tried looking in the performance meter (ctrl + alt + P) to see if anything is maxing out (it's worth right clicking in the meter and enabling all the display options)
are you able to ascertain whether or not it's consistent - ie occurring at the same place / originating from the same track etc?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Coachz

Run latencymon
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
DJ Bedard

Default Persistent Crackling when Multitracking

I can't hear the crackling on headphones, but the buzzing is still there. I don't think it's a speaker issue because I haven't gotten the crackling anywhere outside of Reaper and now that you mention it, I noticed that the instances of crackling and buzzing were consistent in playback.

And I just did a performance check. Total CPU is hovering between 12%-20%, mostly due to the Nolly plugin.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bedard View Post

And I just did a performance check. Total CPU is hovering between 12%-20%, mostly due to the Nolly plugin.
and the RT CPU?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #6
DJ Bedard

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
and the RT CPU?
1.5%

One of my master mixes clocked in at around 6%
Old 05-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
DJ Bedard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Run latencymon
I ran LatencyMon on one of my mixes yesterday.

"Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates."

I already changed my power settings for best performance and it showed in my Task Manager that none of my programs had throttling enabled, but I got the same result when I re-ran the test just now.

And what does it mean by "BIOS setup"? I haven't been able to find anything regarding that on my device.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
Coachz

Yeah it's worth learning more about your bios settings to get those tweaked correctly along with the operating system. You got to figure out which drivers are causing problems and disable them. For me I had to disable my CD burner while I'm in Reaper to get latency mon to be very happy.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-u...cles/210046193
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote