Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
SpecialRich
Human being with feelings

Default Midi note colour follows track colour and velocity gradient

Hi,

With the (hopefully) near release of more multi-track midi editing capabilities i thought it might be cool to request a tweak to the way Midi notes are coloured in the editor.

Currently I'm torn between using:
1) colour gradient changes in relation to velocity.
2) colour of midi notes matches track colour.

Could we not have a hybrid / mash-up of this where by the midi note follows the colour of the track AND has a gradient or contrast change for the selected colour.

I propose it would aid with editing single tracks velocity like default and also aid with visibly identifying track sources in the editor when jumping between them with the "double click on note to make active" action.

Rich
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
EvilDragon

I would love that. In fact, "media item" and "track" coloring modes should be doing this by default.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
gofer
-blänk-

Which velocity would be the actual track color, then? And how do you make a difference between a note with higher velocity and one that is selected (as of now, selected = brighter)?
I'd rather have all this done on event's borders. Eg, if an active item's note had two pixels worth of border, the outer border pixel could be the velocity color.

But I'd be happy if there was at least a single mode which displays the actual track (or item) color somewhere on an event. That means the color chosen for the track or item, not something darker, brighter or somehow mixed together with what happens to be the background the event is drawn over (ruler color in CC lanes, and the several colors for the note area - the latter causing events in secondary items have a different color depending on whether they are on a white or a black key - ridiculous, if you ask me).
We don't have that now. not even remotely. Selected notes in track/item color modes are brighter than the actual color, notes in secondary items mix with the background color, then there is a bug preventing events on tracks or items with brightness higher than 60 to be accurate and so on. So, only unselected notes in an active item of a track with a color darker than 60 are ok and can be identified as belonging to a track with the same color (assumed you use the tcp_namebg.png trick to have an accurate color shown at that place).

I find the situation pretty depressing on Reaper's color front on the whole, be it tcp/mcp name fields, items, MIDI events... the only places where colors are accurate by default are the color swatches . Makes me go crazy each time I start thinking about it.

EDIT: Sorry, that must read as if I refuse your request . I don't. Actually I am longing for a mixed mode just as you do, not only for track/item+velocity, but also channel+velocity. I just hope there can be an area in an event that is accurate. Hence the thought to maybe do it in event borders and keep event bodies clean.
I just always get carried away when thinking about how Reaper messes with my track colors on the different areas of the program . Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by gofer; 02-14-2013 at 10:43 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
KenC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Selected notes in track/item color modes are brighter than the actual color, notes in secondary items mix with the background color, then there is a bug preventing events on tracks or items with brightness higher than 60 to be accurate and so on
This is annoying me to, when I pick a color I want that color, not some pastel version of the color I picked.

I often edit multiple tracks overlapped in the midi editor and color say 1st and second violins red and brighter red, but I don't get the chosen color when I ok the color dialog. The way the colors work now it's almost impossible to get everything to stand out when you edit a lot of tracks at the same time.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
MikComposer

I would like the midi tracks to be in color I choose for the track. Also I would like to colors to retain their saturation and not be a mixture of selected color and background grey. It just looks depressing.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #6
_jon

+1 on the darker colors being kind of drab.
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote