Old 09-07-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
lerian
Human being with feelings

Default Theme development extension idea

Hi guys,

I have an idea that i hope will make theme development easier for designers that find walter hard to grasp, as i found myself and others spending a lot of time and getting frustrated figuring out what does what and where it goes.

I'm not a programmer, but maybe one of you know how to make an extension that will work somehow like theme element finder but to put reaper in walter code finder. So when hovering one element, the extension will display the walter code used to position it, along with line number in rtconfig. Maybe even explaining the line with width height, padding and all the parameters used.

I think this will help more designers make better themes faster, what do you think? Someone up for it?
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
cubic13
Human being with feelings

A good idea. Ideally, a kind of designing frame with an object inspector (something that programming environments have, capable of generating code for objects created on a screen) would be useful. But this would work optimaly if Walter was structured as an Oriented Object Language with methods, etc., and it isn't the case. But maybe it's more easy to do for an enhanced element finder that would show the code used for a given control : the problem is how to manage the layouts that have different instructions for it.

Guess that would be a lot of work, though, and honestly, I don't have the skills to do so, as it would probably require a development in a compiled language (C++, Lazarus...).

Actually, what I would like first is a true debugger showing all the values used in a given rtconfig.txt, including the scalar ones : h, w, folderstate, folderdepth, trans_flags, etc., this, in real time. We have the SWS 'theme helper' but honestly it's not up to the job : I never use it...

Last edited by cubic13; 09-08-2018 at 11:36 PM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote