Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Do you like Reaper's logo and splash-screen?
Yes 74 42.29%
No 101 57.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
medea
Human being with feelings

Default Do you like Reaper's logo and splash-screen design?=)

New design would be cool improvement, i personally don't like current one. (probably the only thing i don't like in Reaper=).

I think logo and design stuff are important parts of the software, for this few seconds of emotions, when you start the program and are looking at the splash-screen, can affect your mind and creativity=))

Would be also nice to make a new logo and design contest, with license as a prize)).

Any ideas?
medea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
politcat

at first i thought this is a waste of time. but you have a point. that logo is not going to help marketing, the opposite.

sorry to whoever created it.

btw, the grim reaper metaphor is lost on me. i always thought reaper meant something better.

Last edited by politcat; 12-12-2006 at 05:34 PM.
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Rednroll

Grimmy is cool, but he does leave something to be desired as a splash screen as far as first impressions are concerned. Grimmy would be cool in a use for where some apps have a Tool Tip option where it gives you a tip everytime you open the program. Then he could pop up and say,

"Grimmy Says: Did you know that if you press the "M" key while in the timeline view window, it will place a "M"arker where the currently is located".

FYI, Reaper stands for: Rapid Environment for Audio Prototyping and Efficient Recording.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
zendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Grimmy is cool, but he does leave something to be desired as a splash screen as far as first impressions are concerned. Grimmy would be cool in a use for where some apps have a Tool Tip option where it gives you a tip everytime you open the program. Then he could pop up and say,

"Grimmy Says: Did you know that if you press the "M" key while in the timeline view window, it will place a "M"arker where the currently is located".
that's a bit 'Clippy' (MS Office) for me i'm afraid..
zendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
TerryW

Buy the copyrights of Grim Fandango, Mannie was a great reaper.
TerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
kenn

"Reaper" ain't so bad. it will take a real pro to market something called "Jesusonic" , especially south of the Mason-Dixon line.

kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
circuit23

i like our little buddy, and i think he does the job well! the REAPER name is part of what drew me to the software in the first place. i think the Reaper suggests the death of recording music the old, crappy way. he slices through all the bullshit with his handy-dandy scythe and gives your tunes the edge you need.

The Reaper will take your other hosts to meet their makers (and then chew out said makers for making crappy software).

i would be VERY sad to see our little buddy go. if it's a huge deal to people, maybe custom splash screens/logos/icon sets would be in order.
circuit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Brad

I agree with Circuit23, "Reaper" is part of what drew me too.

As far as marketing goes......I don't know what classes some took in marketing but you might consider getting a refund! Reaper would be easy to market. Teens would love the concept.

Cubase.....Now there's a word that conjures up......hmmm....cube?

Think outside the box! (That's where the fun is!)

The Dixie Chicks Rule.

Brad
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
malcolmj

The Reaper logo doesn't scare me, but this:

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/imag...-pro-tools.jpg

sure as hell does!
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
Stringer

What got me into Reaper was that I would go onto KVR and time after time, the Reaper topic was at the top of the que. I didn't think I was interested in anything called "Reaper," but the darned topic kept going to the top, for weeks and weeks. Finally, I thought, maybe I should check this out. Then I came over here and found this great community, and downloaded the software and it was exactly what I was looking for, and more. I don't think that "Reaper" is a good name, and I don't think "Jesusonic" is a good idea either, but the software is so good that it doesn't matter. I have a feeling that was what Justin was thinking too.

John
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
EnzymeX

When I first saw the small icon, I thought the reaper was in profile (i.e. the ear looked like a hook nose).

It was not until the splash screen made him bigger that I saw he was a cute little dude!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #12
Jae.Thomas

i love it.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #13
Art Evans
Mortal

I guess if someone comes up with an alternative that really strikes a significant number of us as better than the present image, then Justin might think about it. (Or not!) So... any offers?

Last edited by Art Evans; 12-12-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
I guess if someone comes up with an alternative that really strikes a significant number of us as better than the present image, then Justin might think about it. (Or not!) So... any offers?
absolutely..

actually something, as a play on an old Winamp splash screen we had, I was thinking about, would be an image with a pack of cigarettes and with a llama on it.. ha ha.. somehow appropriate..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
jaydottcomm

Default From a new buyers perspective

i just purchased reaper a week ago. I must admit you guys have not carved a hole in the Logo department. Terrible logo! If you were to judge quality by the logo i would pass on this application. I wouldn't submit this to a committee. Ableton Live, now theres a splash screen. You guys would be better off just using fonts. I would toughen the Reaper up. He would look as if he were about to decapitate you. And his back drop would be mixer sliders or something of that nature. Right now the reaper looks like a pansy.
jaydottcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #16
Jae.Thomas

bunch of morons if ya ask me
Old 12-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #17
politcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
FYI, Reaper stands for: Rapid Environment for Audio Prototyping and Efficient Recording.
thx, i remember reading that now. like most acronyms, it's obviously contrived. but no matter.

how about a grimmy that depicts the rapid aspect, like a flying reaper that's sleeker and less cartoonish.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #18
Justin
Administrator

I need to get Steve to make us one like we used for ONE version of Winamp back in the day...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #19
dirmass

You know, some of you guys want "corporate software feel", I say screw that, Justin is right, what's with all the comparison with other logos. I agree that it must be a good logo, but good doesn't necessarily mean uber-professional. The current one is Ok.. we just need some fresh ideas
find something like the llama-winamp combination for reaper i'd say we have a winner:P
dirmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #20
mr. moon

This is what the current REAPER logo reminds me of:

BUDMAN!!

First impressions are one of the most important aspects of marketing any product, because first impressions are so powerful that you remember them for as long as you use the item associated with that impression ...and you never get a chance to "redo" them. I think that if you want "outsiders" to take REAPER seriously, the logo should be a bit more sophisticated and "robust" (for lack of a better term), not look like a previously used cartoonish marketing tool.

Maybe something like this:

DOH! Sorry, wrong image.

Seriously, I think for REAPER to break into the "big leagues" (so to speak), that a more sophisticated logo would be required. What it should be exactly, I have no clue... But I would think that associating the image of a cartoonish grim reaper caricature to anything is not a real "winner" in marketing to the more "professional studio owner who is concerned about image and what the client will see when they look over their shoulder" kind of demographic, I would guess, so maybe something that is based more on shapes, or the R.E.A.P.E.R. name, or the letter "R" itself would be more suitable...

However, if REAPER is meant to stay in the current marketing niche that it has found (seasoned hobbyists and professionals who aren't concerned about image as much as substance), there probably would be no need to change it.

...Just my 2 centavos.

-mr moon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #21
Brad

Hmmm......Isn't Bud the largest seller of beer in the universe? And isn't the largest retailer in the world's logo a smiley face? (I think they market walls) And Cakewalks packaging has a Soviet look. N-track has a pleasing logo.....and I see some n-track faces here! OMG!

In marketing, bad (or anti-mainstream) works as well (often better) than good.

Pretty is as pretty does.

Brad
Old 12-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #22
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Hmmm......Isn't Bud the largest seller of beer in the universe?
I don't know. However, I do know that the REAPER logo dude looks like Budman to me. Drinking beer is marketed as being all about having fun (via various dangerous, rugged, and exciting adventures), being beautiful, and getting the "special" attention of the lady (or man) you desire. Is the REAPER "mascot" trying to sell to the beer-drinking demographic or a more serious audio recordist demographic, THAT is the question, IMO.

Quote:
And isn't the largest retailer in the world's logo a smiley face? (I think they market walls)
Again, I don't know. However, take a look at the demographic that they are trying to reach, THAT is the key here, IMHO...

Quote:
And Cakewalks packaging has a Soviet look.
Funny, I was going to point that one out as an example of a logo scheme that seems to work...

Quote:
N-track has a pleasing logo.....and I see some n-track faces here!
I don't know what the N-Track logo looks like, sorry, but I'll assume that it is "pleasing" ...I never said that a pleasing logo was not something to go after, I just said that the current REAPER logo/mascot seems a bit cartoonish and not sophisticated enough for the more image-conscious demographic that REAPER may want to break into. Do you personally find the REAPER logo/mascot "pleasing" to look at?

Quote:
In marketing, bad (or anti-mainstream) works as well (often better) than good.
I would suggest that this all depends on the demographic you're aiming for.

Quote:
Pretty is as pretty does.
Life is a box of chocolates....

Thanks for the debate! Fun stuff.

-mr moon
Old 12-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #23
mr. moon

Default For example.....

I just wanted to add that I think that the COCKOS logo (found on the upper right-hand side of the site here) is pretty cool. A logo like that has more of the vibe that I think works well for this type of product and the demographic it would be directed at ...not to say that it's something that a REAPER logo should imitate or anything, but just as an example of what I personally find more marketable and tasteful.

Peace.

-mr moon
Old 12-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #24
Brad

Moon....

Bud is the largest seller of beer. (Bud does have a very classy logo and BudMan was created for....well who knows) but we remember it because it sucked!

WalMart is the largest retailer. They have a star in their main logo and a smiley face as mascot.

I think the reaper guy could be more extreme myself.

What cracks me up is that somehow.....and this applies to every site I've ever been on.........somehow the feature wishlist extends all the way down to marketing and packaging!

Brad
Old 12-12-2006, 11:36 PM   #25
jamester

I like the logo, though I will admit he's a bit "cute". But I wouldn't want him all "corporate cool" either, as was mentioned above. I can see making it a touch more "pro" for serious studios, but there's a fine line there imho.

Personally, I'd like a t-shirt! ;-)
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #26
mr. moon

Quote:

What cracks me up is that somehow.....and this applies to every site I've ever been on.........somehow the feature wishlist extends all the way down to marketing and packaging!

Brad
Yup, on THAT I would have to agree!!

...I guess we can blame that on capitalism, eh?

Peace.

-mr moon
Old 12-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #27
mr. moon

Quote:
I think the reaper guy could be more extreme myself.
Brad
Something like this, perhaps?

-mr moon
Old 12-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #28
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamester View Post
Personally, I'd like a t-shirt! ;-)
http://www.cafepress.com/reaperdaw

malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #29
Brad

Oh ya Moon........looks like an electrocuted reaper!

It just dawned on me who the reaper guy looks like....Cousin It.

Brad
Old 12-13-2006, 01:39 AM   #30
Art Evans
Mortal

Maybe something where the scythe is in use, chopping through notes or the like? Trouble is it has to work big and tiny too. Maybe just a scythe?
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:27 AM   #31
Alistair S

I have to admit to being mystified by this thread.

The logo is fine to me. Logos gain meaning over time, surely? Brands need to build over time.

However, there seems to be an implication that something is wrong with calling something "Reaper". Can someone explain that to me, because I have no clue as to why....

If it is enough to put off a significant number of potential users I suspect that it should change (after all every developer wants people to use their stuff).

I think it would be a shame, though. As a fledgling brand I think it already has wings.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:37 AM   #32
Leumas

I pressed no on the poll machine at the top, but that was because there wasn't an option saying "I would like to see something different but I do like grimmy" too.

I dunno if I can explain this right but I will have a go.
Personally, I think that logos which are a symbol (or style-ised name) are more effective characters or objects.

Sure have a mascot but have something else for logo.

I hope I make sence, am not awake enough to read it through to see

Dave.
Leumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:01 AM   #33
politcat

grimmy looks like he's about to keel over himself.

nuff said.

forgot to apologize to the creator, sorry.

Last edited by politcat; 12-13-2006 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:06 AM   #34
politcat

wth, we're calling it "grimmy"
Old 12-13-2006, 04:08 AM   #35
Amether

Grimmy is fun. Music is fun. We do this for fun. Reaper is fun. If we don't do it for fun, we're doing it for the wrong reason IMO.

Funfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunhardcore.

So what if no other audio products are as light hearted... Reaper's reputation will spread more solidly than its logo. The entire point of Reaper IMO is the fact that it's totally unpretentious, but does everything in a great way. It's available for all and not just the guys (and gals - but then ... we are nearly all guys, no? Maybe Grimmy should get a girlfriend to appeal to the feminine demographic...?!) who love to think about how expensive and flashy their gear is.

And we've done the Jesusonic thing before elsewhere... (also light-hearted - and hardly disrespectful or blasphemous)...
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 AM   #36
politcat

music is fun, recording is work. i do both cuz i have to. if you can't understand that, nevermind.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:17 AM   #37
inspectastef

Yes they need a new logo and splash screeen!!!! keep the name but not the logos!!!!
inspectastef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:21 AM   #38
Rednroll

Grimmy says....You people have way too much time on your hands.

Grimmy rocks!!! If you want the app to look tougher due to the splash screen, I say we just have Grimmy holding his sickle in one hand while staring at you with his middle finger raised in the other and have one of those Winamp ciggarettes hanging out of his mouth.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #39
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
Something like this, perhaps?

-mr moon

ugggh, welcome to the 80s

megadeth anyone?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:31 AM   #40