Old 07-18-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
nfpotter
Human being with feelings

Default Ozone 5 causes "static"

I've been using Ozone 5 for years, no problems. I'm on a 2011 MacBook Pro quad core i7, 16 GB ram.

When I open Ozone, any screen that uses a lot of monitoring graphs/graphics causes Reaper to lag and sound like static.

In my current project I have a lot of plugins, but I'm only hitting about 40-45% cpu. Isn't that weird? Any ideas to solve it?

Oh, I'm on Windows 7.

-Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by nfpotter; 07-18-2019 at 07:25 AM.
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Philbo King

Try looking in Win Task Manager. Reaper only reports what Reaper uses. There might be something else (another process or program) sucking up system resources.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Try looking in Win Task Manager. Reaper only reports what Reaper uses. There might be something else (another process or program) sucking up system resources.
Yeah, nothing else that's resource heavy. I keep a clean ship

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpotter View Post
In my current project I have a lot of plugins, but I'm only hitting about 40-45% cpu. Isn't that weird?
depends what you mean by this - are you talking about 40% of the total cpu capacity of a multi-core machine? in which case you could be maxing out one of the cores. Have you tried moving any master FX to a sub-master bus to see if that improves things?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
depends what you mean by this - are you talking about 40% of the total cpu capacity of a multi-core machine? in which case you could be maxing out one of the cores. Have you tried moving any master FX to a sub-master bus to see if that improves things?
Only Ozone on the master. It's graphics based. When I turn the graphs off, or close the FX window, it goes away. But I like the meters. Meter Bridge (ozone) does it even worse. But I have never had a plugin GUI cause this, and I'd like to solve it.

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Dr Bob

Do try setting up Track 1 as your "sub master" and stick ozone on that. Have no fx at all on the Reaper Master track.

Either route everything to track 1, or better still set it as a folder to enclose all the tracks if possible.

Should allow reaper to allocate ozone to different cpu which is not handling audio output.

Worth a try!

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
Do try setting up Track 1 as your "sub master" and stick ozone on that. Have no fx at all on the Reaper Master track.

Either route everything to track 1, or better still set it as a folder to enclose all the tracks if possible.

Should allow reaper to allocate ozone to different cpu which is not handling audio output.

Worth a try!

dB
Thanks much! That seems to have done the trick. Didn't know having effects on the master could be a problem, never happened to me before.

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpotter View Post
Thanks much! That seems to have done the trick. Didn't know having effects on the master could be a problem, never happened to me before.
Ooops, spoke too soon. Didn't fix it.

I should say, it "helped", as in it does seem to happen as much, but it still happens.

AAAARRRRGGGGG

Why is a plugin's GUI causing my shit to do this!!!!!????????

-Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by nfpotter; 07-19-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
nfpotter

Wow.

Threw the Maximizer in Ozone into IRC3 mode. MASSIVE LAG AND DISTORTION. If I go back to IRC2 it's ok, with only occasional glitches.

Appears it's not the GUI.

My CPU (monitored from Windows) is never hitting more than about 40%.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I'm lost.

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
nfpotter

Wow, no one? Anyone? Used to get lots of answers fast on here....

-Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-20-2019, 11:01 PM   #11
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Long time iZotope user here (since around V4 of Ozone).
I've found O5 to use significantly more resources than O7 and it is a lot more noticeable with the GUI open. I haven't upgraded to O8 at this point.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #12
poetnprophet

I've been using Ozone since v5 also (the BEST ozone btw)

I have experienced what you're describing on the current Ozone 8, especially if I enable higher tier IRC's and/or TruPeak detection. To be honest, it does actually seem to have gotten worse for me recently.

I posted another thread about very slow rendering (which also seems to be a new issue for me), in fact the two are related. In fact!...I also had this strange behavior in which increasing the Asio buffer does NOT help and made things worse...didn't know that was possible.

ALL of it related to Ozone Maximizer. I remove that, i remove all the issues.

Either something changed in an Ozone update, or something in a Reaper update, but I know it hasn't always been this way, as recently as a few months ago.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #13
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I've been using Ozone since v5 also (the BEST ozone btw)

I have experienced what you're describing on the current Ozone 8, especially if I enable higher tier IRC's and/or TruPeak detection. To be honest, it does actually seem to have gotten worse for me recently.

I posted another thread about very slow rendering (which also seems to be a new issue for me), in fact the two are related. In fact!...I also had this strange behavior in which increasing the Asio buffer does NOT help and made things worse...didn't know that was possible.

ALL of it related to Ozone Maximizer. I remove that, i remove all the issues.

Either something changed in an Ozone update, or something in a Reaper update, but I know it hasn't always been this way, as recently as a few months ago.
Thanks much, I'll reply in the other thread, but leave this here in case it helps someone down the road:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=223243

-Mitch Hedberg