Old 07-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Subz
Human being with feelings

Default Hidp tiny plugin windows

hi,

is there a work around to stop some vst plugins loading with such small GUI's with hidp enabled?

(not to mods) i post this here as hidp is not in the main release afaik

sorry if i am mistaken! please feel free to move or deleate as you see fit,

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
analogexplosions

Plugin developers have to write in support for HiDPI as well.

Very few of my plugins have this yet. Its pretty frustrating. At least Reaper gives me the entire GUI of plugins in HiDPI mode. Nuendo doesn't handle it nearly as elegantly. Some of my plugins only give me a small corner of the GUI in HiDPI mode.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogexplosions View Post
Plugin developers have to write in support for HiDPI as well.

Very few of my plugins have this yet. Its pretty frustrating. At least Reaper gives me the entire GUI of plugins in HiDPI mode. Nuendo doesn't handle it nearly as elegantly. Some of my plugins only give me a small corner of the GUI in HiDPI mode.
If you are on Windows, running plugin which doesn't support HiDPI in bridged mode, allows operating system to scale it up. In such case scaling factor set in Windows display settings are applied.

Note1: using "Embed GUI" option disables scaling.
Note2: mentioned scaling performed by Windows makes GUI bigger and a bit blurred at the same time
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

FYI, the hidpi awareness mode is in the general release, however it's not as useful (as you must use the default-hidpi theme to make it usable)...

but no, the answer is plug-ins are at the mercy of the developers (due to the way that Windows implements hidpi -- side note: macOS does this better, though it has its own set of flaws).

Bridging does help (when not embedded), as discussed, but then you pay the performance penalty...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:14 AM   #5
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
FYI, the hidpi awareness mode is in the general release, however it's not as useful (as you must use the default-hidpi theme to make it usable)...
In fact there are more possibilities. You can get any theme and scale it with dpi scale. There are a lot of themes with double resolution assets (ie 200%). depending you are using retina (doubled resolution) or big monitor (doubled worksize) you may find more or less feasible themes.
the trick is, that if a theme has global_scale set, it overrides dpi scale from preferences. you can comment out global_scale command in rtconfig, then use dpi scale in preferences. In current version of Reaper in both cases you it's enough to reload theme to make it working.
Of course there are themes which cannot scale well do different ratios than original one. Usually it's caused by pink lines tricks used to position items (pink/yellow lines are not scaled which breaks the layout)

Here is an example of a theme prepared to be used in various scales: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219391 There are also interesting facts described in this thread.

Last edited by MaXyM; 07-06-2019 at 04:37 AM.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #6
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
If you are on Windows, running plugin which doesn't support HiDPI in bridged mode, allows operating system to scale it up. In such case scaling factor set in Windows display settings are applied.

Note1: using "Embed GUI" option disables scaling.
Note2: mentioned scaling performed by Windows makes GUI bigger and a bit blurred at the same time

thanks!! i will do this to the ones that are just too small!

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote