Old 07-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default New Sound Design Tool Suggestions?

For a while I've been thinking I needed a new workhorse synth. Something I could really dig into, deeply learn, and do most of my sound design with.

But lately I realized that I'm actually more interested in processing sounds than synthesizing them. I kept looking for synths that could process live input or load samples and do granular stuff when it hit me that I can already get pretty good synth tones with my present collection. What's missing is a sampler/live-input mangler/multi-fx with a really fast and enjoyable workflow.

So I ask the forum: What's your favorite sound design plugin that can process samples as well as live input? I'm particularly looking for stuff with modular routing and other handy visual feedback (I want to "see" what all the modulation is doing in realtime). You know, next-level, forward-thinking, futuristic-type shit.

I've been liking Iris2 (but it can't do live input), as well as Ribs (but it can't do samples). I've tried Omnisphere and it's way overboard in terms of content and price. Is this something Reaktor can do? I do plan to get Komplete bundle at some point...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 07-14-2019 at 11:01 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Ended up getting Sektor and so far I'm LOVING IT! For 15 bucks, I haven't had so much fun in for-ever.

The interface is intuitive and attractive and nothing therein didn't make sense to me. It feels familiar but also clever and evolved in some ways. Powerful but not overwhelmingly so.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:06 AM   #3
zookthespook

UVI Falcon-
You have the IRcam mono and poly granular synthesizers.
It has the ability of processing 96khz samples.
With multiple synthesis engines and multi sample layering abilities you can create extremely complex sounds of hybrid nature.
Absynth - one of my oldest and favourite sounds design tool. Great for creating textures and esoteric sounds.
Reaktor 6-there are endless number of modules to play with and mangle sounds in this. The possibilities are endless.
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
foxAsteria

Thanks, I've demoed most of the big ones. I've heard a lot about Falcon, but frankly, I would just choose Serum, since it's half the price. Absynth has one of the worst UI designs I've ever seen from a plug in that range, but yea, sounds.

I'm finding I can do pretty much everything I want with $15 Sektor, so I think I'll just patiently await the next big thing...The CPU hit is also low enough that I could use this on every track. The UI is gorgeous and the workflow is basically at the height of functionality for this dated matrix style routing. Nothing much new here, just a very solid and efficient implementation that's fun and easy to work with.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
Vagelis

Crusher-x,Byome or anything else from Unfiltered Audio,Reaktor and VCV rack->Soon a vst version I think when VCV comes out as vst, it will be one of the most powerful modular enviroments for fx and instruments.

This seems cool but i haven't tried it yet.
https://tonsturm.com/software/traveler/
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
foxAsteria

I've got a Nord Modular but I don't use it much. At a certain point, there are just too many features and things become overwhelming. I'll gladly sacrifice a bit of power for workflow efficiency.

Traveler looks pretty cool, but man, where do they come up with these prices?
Old 07-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
cstooch

I haven't really gotten into the granular synthesis (at least at the point of designing sounds), myself, but I saw you mentioned Komplete earlier. They have 50% off sales on it every now and then. I bought it a while back at 50% off, then years later upgraded to I think version 10. Pricey, but a lot of value.. still use it a lot. I'm actually amazed just by the sounds you can make out of even just Massive. I use that a lot in tracks. Reaktor is crazy powerful, but I haven't fully wrapped my head around it, and just tend to load in preset sounds. I usually use that more for if I want to do some orchestral type music rather than using it for synthy / electronic music, but it's very versatile.. one day I'll sit down and learn that a bit more.

Expensive package, but there's a lot of useful tools in it, however.

Crusher-X seems to be pretty commonly recommended for granular synthesis.
cstooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I've got a Nord Modular but I don't use it much. At a certain point, there are just too many features and things become overwhelming. I'll gladly sacrifice a bit of power for workflow efficiency.

Traveler looks pretty cool, but man, where do they come up with these prices?

Nice!I have a nord modular G2 and love it.Yes traveler is expensive one.
Same for this beast https://www.unfilteredaudio.com/coll...products/byome
But it sounds great.CPU hungry though.
https://www.unfilteredaudio.com/collections/plug-ins - other plugins from Unfiltered Audio.

I think the best alternative to nord modular is the VCV, lots of modules,nice clean interface and free.Vult makes propably the best sounding modules.
And it can work as fx too,for example, audible instruments replicate the mutable instruments for eurorack,clouds also inside. (it's called texture in audible instruments)

Last edited by Vagelis; 07-16-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
prom

Couple of new modules licensed to VCV from Erica Synths

Black Wavetable VCO & Black Octasource LFO
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:14 AM   #10
zookthespook

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Thanks, I've demoed most of the big ones. I've heard a lot about Falcon, but frankly, I would just choose Serum, since it's half the price. Absynth has one of the worst UI designs I've ever seen from a plug in that range, but yea, sounds.

I'm finding I can do pretty much everything I want with $15 Sektor, so I think I'll just patiently await the next big thing...The CPU hit is also low enough that I could use this on every track. The UI is gorgeous and the workflow is basically at the height of functionality for this dated matrix style routing. Nothing much new here, just a very solid and efficient implementation that's fun and easy to work with.

serum is great when it comes to wavetables and the convinience of LFOs and ADSR deployment . But however the Filters are pretty average IMO, I saw a demo of sektor , seems like a nice synth and that price it is a no brainer. Happy sound designing.
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
foxAsteria

I was pretty excited about Massive X, but someone pointed out the almost total lack of visual feedback (e.g. the envelope diagrams take up a lot of the GUI, but don't change; they're just a static reminders of what ADSR means...).

I just couldn't look past something like that in a modern synth. I need to see what my modulations are doing with a glance. The routing looks delightful tho...
Old 07-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
Skorobagatko

Check "Phase Plant" by Kilohearts.
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #13
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
Check "Phase Plant" by Kilohearts.
Oooo...ahhhh...pretty sexy mod system. Kinda pricey tho with all the "snap-ins"