Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
talustalus
Human being with feelings

Default Need some help running Delay Pedal into audio interface

Hi,

I'd like for my delay pedal to sit as a parallel FX through my audio interface, so I can have the ability to send any piece of audio through it.

The pedal only has 1x input / 1x output, suited for guitar (instrument) level.

I understand there may be impedance issues by running it through line ins/outs on my audio interface, but I also have a Reamp box to play with (Torpedo Reload).

What is the correct connection chain that I need to make this work?

Grateful for anyone's help.

Thankyou
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
karbomusic

You don't need anything special to route it that way assuming the levels are correct - I don't see impedance being an issue here. You'd have to send out on one output channel and receive on another input. You could also explore ReaInsert which tries to calculate/compenstate the latency for you.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
Fergler

Only thing to keep in mind is the delay pedal expects instrument level patch in, and sends instrument level out. You will want to use an impedance transformer (a passive DI box used in reverse) on the way out of the interfaces line-out to come down to instrument level impedance, and go back into the interface through an instrument input. You could overload caps/resistors in the delay pedal by feeding it such a strong signal and your noise floor is likely to suffer, particularly if you travel back through a line-in on the interface.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
karbomusic

No transformers needed, only level matching and probably not much of that unless it clips the device - the input of the pedal is high impedance and all matching means is that the the pedal input is sufficiently *higher* (10 times minimum) than what is plugged into it which it certainly is if a guitar pedal. IOW they don't need to be equal, the input only needs to be sufficiently higher. The pedal output to the interface connection is also not an issue since the it's output will likely be a handful of ohms and the input of the interface will be already matched to handle this.

Generally Reamp boxes only serve one real purpose and that is providing ground isolation for ground loops when/if they exist. I have a high end reamp box, and that's the only reason I ever need it, isolation - otherwise, it never gets used. The only other item is balanced to unbalanced when that is needed but that's a different thing.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-16-2019 at 09:55 AM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote