Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-15-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
playtimer
Human being with feelings

Default UA Apollo Twin Duo USB and Reaper?

Hi all,

I'm about to upgrade my audio interface to Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo USB (windows version with USB 3 connection).

http://www.uaudio.com/interfaces/apollo-twin-usb.html

So far there's great user reviews, and being UAD user for years with 2 PCIe cards I don't have doubts UA did great job. Another plus is Unison technology which emulates high-end preamps on mic inputs.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Reaper x64. My current PC meets all requirements for this interface.

One thing that concerns me is how does it play with Reaper? I mean UAD Software Console, session recall, latency, overall performance etc...

If there's any Reaper user who has this device, please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance and cheers!
Play
playtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:32 AM   #2
ivansc

If your pci-e cards are UAD2, throw them in my direction when you throw them out!

My 2 UAD1 pcie cards are not being recognised on my system any more, even using 6.1 software as instructed..
And of course UAD dont want to know.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:15 AM   #3
playtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
If your pci-e cards are UAD2, throw them in my direction when you throw them out!
Yes they are UAD-2, but they're staying. Can't say goodbye to precious DSP power
Old 03-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
billybk1

I've been using my Apollo Twin USB daily for the past 3 weeks with REAPER 5 x64 (even latest beta's) with no issues whatsoever. I absolutely love this thing! Coincidentally, I also have two UAD-2 PCIe cards (Quad & Solo)that I have used since 2008. I was further delighted after I updated to v8.5.2 (Apollo Twin USB version)that my two UAD-2 cards and Apollo Twin showed up in the UAD Control Panel and have become one combined DSP ecosystem (total of 7 DSP's). To complete my DAW bliss, I am successfully using it all on Win 10 Pro x64 (1511) as well.

When it comes to the Apollo Twin USB..........Don't fear the REAPER!

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
snatchman

SOT....I've wondered about using multible UAD cards. Which one does the PC recognize that's being used if you use the same plug at the same time..?
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
playtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybk1 View Post
I've been using my Apollo Twin USB daily for the past 3 weeks with REAPER 5 x64 (even latest beta's) with no issues whatsoever. I absolutely love this thing! Coincidentally, I also have two UAD-2 PCIe cards (Quad & Solo)that I have used since 2008. I was further delighted after I updated to v8.5.2 (Apollo Twin USB version)that my two UAD-2 cards and Apollo Twin showed up in the UAD Control Panel and have become one combined DSP ecosystem (total of 7 DSP's). To complete my DAW bliss, I am successfully using it all on Win 10 Pro x64 (1511) as well.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Thanks for the reply, Billy! I'm happy to hear that and now I'm safe my purchase is on.

BTW, if you are the same Billy Buck from unofficial UA forums I wish to tell you that I have been following your posts past few weeks. And thanks for great help to other UA PC users!

Cheers,
Play
Old 03-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
kero

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtimer View Post
Thanks for the reply, Billy! I'm happy to hear that and now I'm safe my purchase is on.

BTW, if you are the same Billy Buck from unofficial UA forums I wish to tell you that I have been following your posts past few weeks. And thanks for great help to other UA PC users!

Cheers,
Play
Hi, I bought an Apollo twin Duo a few weeks back, lovely machine, well made. Most of the plug ins are not free, 99% of them are just 14 day demos, and all the ones you buy are very expensive.
and nearly all the plug ins are the same old, compressors, eqs and reverbs, no drum software at all.

Having said that its easy to install, very well made, I have to say though, I tried it with Reaper and it crashed!
No reason to either, all my equipment is hi spec.
Just wanna let you know, I had no problems like this with Pro Tools and M Box.

Theres something else callled a RME Babyface, this is meant to be really reliable.
Let us know how you get on.
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
playtimer

Thanks for your reply, Kero and so sorry to hear that it didn't work for you

Yes I know UAD plugins inside out - been using them for years, but it's the Unison preamps and great converters that caught my attention.

Also, I have RME Fireface UCX (rock solid & fantastic device) and TC Electronic Impact Twin (working lovely from day one).

UA Apollo was planned to replace TC interface so I guess I must check how it behaves on my system:
CPU: Intel I7 4790k
MB: Asus Z97-A (I believe USB 3 is Intel powered, right?)
SSD: Samsusng 850 Pro 256GB
RAM: DDR3 Kingston HyperX Beast @ 2400 mHz, 32 GB
GPU: Asus Radeon R9 280 Strix Edition
HDD storage: Sata III Western Digital Black 2TB x 2

Will report back!

Cheers,
Play

Last edited by playtimer; 03-17-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:16 AM   #9
kero

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtimer View Post
Thanks for your reply, Kero and so sorry to hear that it didn't work for you

Yes I know UAD plugins inside out - been using them for years, but it's the Unison preamps and great converters that caught my attention.

Also, I have RME Fireface UCX (rock solid & fantastic device) and TC Electronic Impact Twin (working lovely from day one).

UA Apollo was planned to replace TC interface so I guess I must check how it behaves on my system:
CPU: Intel I7 4790k
MB: Asus Z97-A (I believe USB 3 is Intel powered, right?)
SSD: Samsusng 850 Pro 256GB
RAM: DDR3 Kingston HyperX Beast @ 2400 mHz, 32 GB
GPU: Asus Radeon R9 280 Strix Edition
HDD storage: Sata III Western Digital Black 2TB x 2

Will report back!

Cheers,
Play
Yes please let us know how you get on, Apollo Twin seems nice, I am just dissapointed and dont understand why it crashed? I was only using EZ drummer and with one track only!

Its only happened the once, but now I am paranoid as Mbox and Pro Tools didnt crash. I dont use pre amps or convertors, so I cant comment! I dont know what they are!

Anyway, enjoy the Apollo.
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post

My 2 UAD1 pcie cards are not being recognised on my system any more, even using 6.1 software as instructed..
And of course UAD dont want to know.

Well today I decided I was either going to dump the 2 UAD-1s or get the buggers working!

Happy to report that once I had followed UAs own uninstall procedure, Windows finally agreed that I had nothing UAD installed.... reinstalled version 6.0 and it found my cards!!!!!

Also informed me that there was an update to 6.1 available, but I have decided to quit while I am ahead.

Happy bunny.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kero View Post
Hi, I bought an Apollo twin Duo a few weeks back, lovely machine, well made. Most of the plug ins are not free, 99% of them are just 14 day demos, and all the ones you buy are very expensive.
and nearly all the plug ins are the same old, compressors, eqs and reverbs, no drum software at all.

Having said that its easy to install, very well made, I have to say though, I tried it with Reaper and it crashed!
No reason to either, all my equipment is hi spec.
Just wanna let you know, I had no problems like this with Pro Tools and M Box.

Theres something else callled a RME Babyface, this is meant to be really reliable.
Let us know how you get on.
Heh - you have arrived at the same conclusion that I did!
Babyface solved all my USB audio MIDI interface issues with reaper, sonar pro AND Studio One.

But I jut got my 2 UAD-1 pci-e cards working again" YAAAY!
Old 05-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
ivansc

Did I mention that my TWO UAD1 pci-e CARDS are now working wonderfully in Win10 pro 64bit with Reaper 5.18 64bit?

Old 02-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
mb945

Considering getting an Apollo Twin Duo USB for Reaper with Win 8.1.
Anyone have any issues with this? Not planning on using any UA plugins (at least at this time), mainly just looking for clean preamps and good converters. Are there any issues with Reaper's anticipative FX or anything like that? What's the lowest stable latency you've been able to get with this interface in Reaper?
mb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #14
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb945 View Post
Considering getting an Apollo Twin Duo USB for Reaper with Win 8.1.
Anyone have any issues with this? Not planning on using any UA plugins (at least at this time), mainly just looking for clean preamps and good converters. Are there any issues with Reaper's anticipative FX or anything like that? What's the lowest stable latency you've been able to get with this interface in Reaper?
I've been using my Apollo Twin Duo USB with REAPER for the past year without any issues. As an audio device it interacts and performs as you would expect an audio interface to work. No issues using REAPER's Anticipative FX. I keep REAPER pretty much set at it's stock default audio settings (Anticipative FX enabled at all times). The lowest ASIO buffer size available on the Apollo Twin USB is 64 samples, which on my DAW computer (i7 4770k/16GB RAM) works fine for most tasks. Of course, if you have a heavy mix (lot's of tracks/plug-ins) you may have to bump it up a notch (128) to avoid any crackling in the audio playback.

The Apollo TWIN USB does come with a bunch of included UAD plug-ins (about a dozen or so) to get you started. The notable point of the Apollo is the ability to monitor/record through UAD plug-ins via the Apollo Console mixer app without any discernible latency no matter what your actual ASIO buffer size is.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
Lala

Default Apollo twin MKll DSP load max

Hi Billy, hope you can help. I bought a the Apollo MKll and I use reaper, I have run into a problem with the error saying some of my plugins have been disabled due to my DSP reaching maximum? Can you help me with this error please? I only use Reaper and my Apollo twin for voice recording. One sometimes 2 mics. Thanks in advance , Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybk1 View Post

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:31 PM   #16
Slotunes

Default UAD twin

Hello, Even though Billy is the resident expert on all things Apollo/Reaper..maybe I can help a little.First check the number of plug-ins running. My Apollo can get maxed if using many high DSP plugs, even on vocal tracks.[the chart can help..https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...ile_site=true]

Another thing to check is some plugs have other facets you dont need to run and can add dsp drain.By disconnecting Loadlock you can increase some processing power. Heres another article that may help/..

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...able-UAD-2-DSP

Im still a newbie to my UAD/ApolloTwin, but so far its worked flawless with Reaper..still learning, but its a great combo! Good luck!
Slotunes is offline   Reply With Quote