COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 05-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 5.978 loads VST3 presets but always shows "Default" preset name

Strange problem in Reaper with VST3 plugin I am building/testing. Reaper loads the plugin's factory preset control settings OK but always shows "Default" program name. Please see video screenshot here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cn...PCjvCI3P1Ucl1s

VST2 version of the plugin works as expected (programs load and show correct names).

Any idea what is causing this? This plugin works OK in other DAWs so I'm assuming it's a problem in Reaper? Reaper is usually pretty solid so this has me concerned.

BTW - I have tried previous builds of Reaper going back to 5.975 and they do the same thing
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
schwa
Administrator

For VST3s, when the user chooses a factory program, REAPER calls setParamNormalized on the parameter that the plugin exports marked as kIsProgramChange, then immediately calls getParamNormalized on that parameter. Maybe your plugin is not returning the same value that REAPER is setting?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
For VST3s, when the user chooses a factory program, REAPER calls setParamNormalized on the parameter that the plugin exports marked as kIsProgramChange, then immediately calls getParamNormalized on that parameter. Maybe your plugin is not returning the same value that REAPER is setting?
All the parameters are loading properly - what is not loading properly is the preset name. It appears briefly then switches back to "Default" (please see the video I linked to above). All the settings load and stay as they should but the loaded preset name changes back. Weird. It doesn't do this in Cubase or Cakewalk.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

This is your plugin, right? I would guess the problem is that the parameter your plugin specifies as kIsProgramChange does not return the value that it is set to, immediately after REAPER sets it. In other words, the user changes the program, then REAPER asks the plugin what program it thinks it is set to, and the plugin doesn't respond with the same program number that the user set. If you are using some wrapper code and therefore don't know what I'm talking about, then there's maybe not much we can do on our side to help.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This is your plugin, right? I would guess the problem is that the parameter your plugin specifies as kIsProgramChange does not return the value that it is set to, immediately after REAPER sets it. In other words, the user changes the program, then REAPER asks the plugin what program it thinks it is set to, and the plugin doesn't respond with the same program number that the user set. If you are using some wrapper code and therefore don't know what I'm talking about, then there's maybe not much we can do on our side to help.
I am using the Cockos WDL-OL "iPlug" framework. Will search through it and see if I can dig down to what you suggest.

Now, how do you explain that this works properly in other VST3 DAWs?
Old 06-01-2019, 05:48 AM   #6
nofish

FWIW the VST3 version of my plugin (also made with iPlug) behaves the same in REAPER, always snaps back to first (default) preset entry though the parameters do change. (the VST2 version behaves correctly in this regard)
I always thought it's a bug in iPlug so I stopped bothering at some point, also I don't have another VST3 host currently to test / compare with.

It's here:
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2483

Last edited by nofish; 06-01-2019 at 05:55 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote