Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 10-06-2022, 09:17 AM   #1
earhax
Human being with feelings

Default Script Naming: Actions Search Optimization (keywords/thesaurus/category/etc)

Is there any way to include a thesaurus or keywords to make a more-searchable description of a given script file (or all script files), or are they only searchable by the script filename?
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
earhax

Basically, for any script I write these days, I've developed a tendency to cram the filename full of every feasible synonym for every keyword relating to the function/purpose of the script to ensure that, no matter what lexicon I use to search for it, I'll be damn sure it'll be found in the Actions list.

This habit comes as a result of way too often failing to find whatever script I'm searching for because I entered a keyword incorrectly.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
earhax

I've also noticed that, even in the names of some of the native REAPER actions, various synonymous terms are used interchangeably, thus making it difficult to be remember which term to use for a given case.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
earhax

Lastly, sometimes I see actions show up in the filtered results even though the description, shortcut, and/or command ID aren't a match for the query I've entered yet, somehow, some/all of them seem to be related to what I'm searching for, or possibly even exactly what I was trying to find.

This leads me to believe that maybe there is actually some way to associate keywords/synonyms with scripts that will result in them being found even when the filter query isn't a literal match.

Anyway, hopefully someone can enlighten me on these things and help save me a lot of time and headaches when naming/searching for scripts in the future.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
bFooz

There are synonyms internally for internal actions. But don't know how this can be done with scripts. I put stuff into filenames as well.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:05 AM   #6
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
There are synonyms internally for internal actions. But don't know how this can be done with scripts. I put stuff into filenames as well.
Thanks for confirming. Hopefully someone
might know of a way to access this feature. Or, if it's not possible currently, i hope it will be made accessible in the future for 3rd party scripts.

Until then, I'll guess I'll just have to stick with my current methods:
  • filenames that often end up being over 100 characters long
  • "camelCaseCapitalization" to eliminate spaces
  • avoid repeating keywords
  • cleverly-worded descriptions using longer/more-searchable tense/form of terms wherever possible/appropriate (e.g. selected/selection/selecting vs select, items/takes/tracks etc instead of the singular forms)
  • avoid use of unnecessary/non-descriptive words (the/of/from/for/with/to/by etc)
  • use logical operator characters ∧/∨/¬ in place of words like and/or/not or &/|/! (since, depending on OS, some of the more commonly-used symbols are illegal characters for filenames, ∧∨ tend to get broken by REAPER's packaging for import/export of preference files - especially when moving the files cross-platform between mac/win)
Old 10-07-2022, 03:13 AM   #7
X-Raym

If you planned to share the scripts, better follow existing conventions

• prefix with author_
  • word that as a phrase (spaces + common words to/from/width etc)
  • dont do keyword stuffing
As you can see actions in actions list, names are not camelcase and do have spaces. this is way more readable this way 🙏
synonyms are defined in langpacks.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote