Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #1
lahayim
Human being with feelings

Default Passthrough midi notes only when track is selected

Hey all,

I was wondering if it is possible to set up midi control such that midi notes from an external controller only go through to a VST instrument if that track is selected?

MIDI learn has a really nice "Enable only when track or item is selected" option that only passes through controller signals to a VST if its track is selected. I would like to have something similar for midi notes. Does this exist?

My use case is that I'm trying to set up unique control mappings for each track with its own VSTi (combination of midi keyboard + CC knobs), and I would like to easily be able to switch from one "active" instrument to another by selecting the track. I don't want to use mute/solo because I still want unselected instruments to play any midi items on the track.

thanks a lot
jchaime
lahayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #2
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Search actions list for auto arm selected track.

This is also a good use-case for ReaLearn, as it you only have to map the controller once and you can have it change those mappings on the fly, or based on selected track. That is, if you wanted to also control the parameters of the instruments in addition to notes.

The controller mappings are decoupled from the actual mappings so that you can easily swap out the controller being used or the mappings controlled by it.