Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-09-2022, 07:07 AM   #1
cruisejuicin
Human being with feelings

Default Touch Mode Issues on Release of Fader (SSL UF8)

Hi all,

I recently added an SSL UF8 control surface to my setup, and it's working surprisingly well right out of the box, using Reaper's inbuilt OSC/MCU connection.

One big issue I'm encountering, that I cannot determine whether it is the control surface or my Reaper settings, is when I attempt to write automation in 'Touch' mode. When I hit play and then first touch a fader, it sets a point and allows me to draw the automation. When I let go, the envelope snaps back to it's prior position... so far so good! However, then if I attempt to touch the fader again and draw a second envelope (while the track is still playing), just the act of touching the fader snaps the envelope immediately to the position at which I let go of the fader previously.

So for example, if I ride a vocal track down for a few words by 10db, then let go, then go to ride it down again, as soon as I touch the fader it jumps back down by 10db.

When I then actually move the fader, it snaps back to where it should be, and functions as normal. But it is leaving these sudden jumps up and down in the volume envelope.

I'm hoping that minds more thoughtful and competent than mine when it comes to Reaper might be able to suggest what is causing the 'touch' message that my UF8 is sending to Reaper to snap it back like this. My assumption is that there is some sort of 'off' message that ought to be sent when letting go of a fader ride in Touch mode, that is not getting sent, resulting in Reaper remembering the old position when I touch it again. Can anyone make sense of this, or suggest a potential solution?

EDIT: I should also add that I have tested the control surface in Pro Tools, and the issue does not occur. Which leads me to believe this is related to how Reaper is interpreting the messages being sent. I also tried connecting to the UF8 using Moss4Reaper instead of using Reaper’s OSC connection directly, and the same issue occurred.

Thanks in advance!
cruisejuicin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:18 AM   #2
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisejuicin View Post
Hi all,

I recently added an SSL UF8 control surface to my setup, and it's working surprisingly well right out of the box, using Reaper's inbuilt OSC/MCU connection.

One big issue I'm encountering, that I cannot determine whether it is the control surface or my Reaper settings, is when I attempt to write automation in 'Touch' mode. When I hit play and then first touch a fader, it sets a point and allows me to draw the automation. When I let go, the envelope snaps back to it's prior position... so far so good! However, then if I attempt to touch the fader again and draw a second envelope (while the track is still playing), just the act of touching the fader snaps the envelope immediately to the position at which I let go of the fader previously.

So for example, if I ride a vocal track down for a few words by 10db, then let go, then go to ride it down again, as soon as I touch the fader it jumps back down by 10db.

When I then actually move the fader, it snaps back to where it should be, and functions as normal. But it is leaving these sudden jumps up and down in the volume envelope.

I'm hoping that minds more thoughtful and competent than mine when it comes to Reaper might be able to suggest what is causing the 'touch' message that my UF8 is sending to Reaper to snap it back like this. My assumption is that there is some sort of 'off' message that ought to be sent when letting go of a fader ride in Touch mode, that is not getting sent, resulting in Reaper remembering the old position when I touch it again. Can anyone make sense of this, or suggest a potential solution?

EDIT: I should also add that I have tested the control surface in Pro Tools, and the issue does not occur. Which leads me to believe this is related to how Reaper is interpreting the messages being sent. I also tried connecting to the UF8 using Moss4Reaper instead of using Reaper’s OSC connection directly, and the same issue occurred.

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, you have to code the Touch behaviour carefully.

I'm the developer of the CSI project and I can tell you that from experience.

I don't recall if the UF8 has a Mackie/MCU mode, but if it does, you can try the stock MCU extension that comes with Reaper.

Beyond that, you can use the UF8 in either MIDI or OSC mode with CSI, CSI has a proper Touch mode implementation, but it takes quite a bit of work to set up, particularly for a Surface CSI currently doesn't support, like the UF8.

If you want to do this, let me know, we have a great community here to help you get set up.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
cruisejuicin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Yeah, you have to code the Touch behaviour carefully.

I'm the developer of the CSI project and I can tell you that from experience.

I don't recall if the UF8 has a Mackie/MCU mode, but if it does, you can try the stock MCU extension that comes with Reaper.

Beyond that, you can use the UF8 in either MIDI or OSC mode with CSI, CSI has a proper Touch mode implementation, but it takes quite a bit of work to set up, particularly for a Surface CSI currently doesn't support, like the UF8.

If you want to do this, let me know, we have a great community here to help you get set up.
Really appreciate the reply, Geoff.

SSL’s 360 app that sits inbetween the controller and Reaper allows you to select your DAW (I use Logic Pro as the closest match for Reaper), and then I have the OSC setup in Reaper as an MCU. This gets 90% of the functionality spot on. The controller itself has dedicated buttons for each automation mode, and it seems as though Touch is the only one where any weirdness occurs (understandably, seeing as it’s the only mode that requires the fader to snap back on release).

I’d love to know more about CSI if you’d be willing to point me in the right direction to get started.

Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
EpicSounds

check reaper preferences for automation return speed
Old 09-09-2022, 08:09 AM   #5
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Really appreciate the reply, Geoff.

SSL’s 360 app that sits inbetween the controller and Reaper allows you to select your DAW (I use Logic Pro as the closest match for Reaper), and then I have the OSC setup in Reaper as an MCU. This gets 90% of the functionality spot on. The controller itself has dedicated buttons for each automation mode, and it seems as though Touch is the only one where any weirdness occurs (understandably, seeing as it’s the only mode that requires the fader to snap back on release).

I’d love to know more about CSI if you’d be willing to point me in the right direction to get started.

Thanks again.
Just click on the red Wiki link in my sig below.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
cruisejuicin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Just click on the red Wiki link in my sig below.
Geoff, just wanted to come back and say how appreciative I am. I installed CSI, and configured it using the included MCU profile, and this immediately fixed the touch issue.

Thanks so much!
Old 09-09-2022, 01:43 PM   #7
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Geoff, just wanted to come back and say how appreciative I am. I installed CSI, and configured it using the included MCU profile, and this immediately fixed the touch issue.

Thanks so much!
Excellent, glad it's working for you !

The Wiki is your friend, there is quite a lot there about what CSI is capable of.