Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 05-25-2022, 08:22 PM   #41
Kristaoss
Human being with feelings

Thanks Daniel,

The MIDI file is not worth a share, it was simply a quick test file where I dropped a couple of random notes.

Yes I checked the box you are pointing out.

I had a guess it could be due to some channels being shared by several staves in Sibelius so I fixed that but problem persisted.

I will give a try to Lilypond and Musescore this week-end and let you know if problem still occurs or not.

Thank you.
Kristaoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:23 AM   #42
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristaoss View Post
Hi Daniel,

Sorry in advance for the stupid question.

What is the benefit of this script?
Is it "only" to solve the jitter caused by ReWire?
I haven't encountered any issues with Rewire but that's probably because I'm not an advanced user of this type of workflow, apparently it's common and that's what led you to write it.

But is there another reason that I don't see?
Apparently having MIDI in Reaper isn't really useful since it's not relevant to edit it there. This can be a quick way to import it and move/copy it to other tracks, it's already really cool. (I saw your Keep cuts function, interesting)

I'll give it a try anyway and since everyone in this thread seems to see how useful and cool it is, I really want to know why too! And I should work more with ReWire to understand how unstable it is ;-)

Thank you.

EDIT
Ok... I messed around with ReWire a bit and... now I get it >_<
Maybe there are tweaks to be made to improve synchronization but indeed, there's probably something to drive crazy in there.
I will try your workflow.

EDIT
I gave a try to your script, it works nicely.
Your explanatory video is super clear thank you.
What has to do ReaWire with this script?

From the Tutorial it's blatantly visible the benefit of this script. When the MIDI is exported from MuseScore or other similar editors (like Sibelius or Finale), they contains ALL the voices.
the main MIDI is automatically updated by reaper . not necessary ANY script (as clearly shown) but when the Main File is splitted on multiple tracks, there is not other way to update the splitted voices.
The script does this..
If you only could entirely watch the video I published, then you could appreciate this script instead of reeWire.
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #43
daniellumertz

Quote:
Thanks Daniel,

The MIDI file is not worth a share, it was simply a quick test file where I dropped a couple of random notes.

Yes I checked the box you are pointing out.

I had a guess it could be due to some channels being shared by several staves in Sibelius so I fixed that but problem persisted.

I will give a try to Lilypond and Musescore this week-end and let you know if problem still occurs or not.

Thank you.
I couldn't reproduce the error here I will try with same channels, but even if is a random midi test file maybe it will lead me in the right track to debug. I need first to reproduce to try to debug hahaha
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:50 AM   #44
Kristaoss

Thanks Daniel.
I will try first with a file made in Musescore to identify if the problem is me, doing something wrong in Sibelius and I'll let you know.
Thank you for your care.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:01 AM   #45
daniellumertz

I use it with sibelius a lot and never found that, so I really dont know what is happening hahah. Hopefully you can reproduce and send me the midi to that...
Old 05-28-2022, 07:32 AM   #46
Kristaoss

Hi Daniel,

I did a test with Musescore and the MIDI track function was indeed working. I didn't have the same crash, so it should be caused by a setting in Sibelius. I mean, just an empty partition crashes the script. I am attaching a blank midi doc (just has a note in the first bar of the first instrument and one in the last bar/instrument) for you if you want to test it out. On my computer, this crashes your script everytime.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with your script of course but these investigations made me think that this workflow is not for me. I prefer to work in a DAW, messing around with the MIDI and work with instruments in a way that doesn't make any sense on a score. I wish I could have a score editor as a visualization tool, but not the other way around I think. Reaper's build-it notation editor might not be that awful and I should know more about how to modify it to make it more readable.

Good continuation with MIDI transfer.
Attached Files
File Type: mid Test MIDI transfer.mid (361 Bytes, 93 views)
Old 05-28-2022, 07:34 AM   #47
Kristaoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
I use it with sibelius a lot and never found that, so I really dont know what is happening hahah. Hopefully you can reproduce and send me the midi to that...
Ok, so I definitely do something wrong.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #48
daniellumertz

I think you are configuring midi transfer wrong here it work 100%
Old 05-28-2022, 01:58 PM   #49
Kristaoss

It's good to know!
Yes, I might have missed something.
Thanks for testing it.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:21 AM   #50
BartR

Quote:
It's good to know!
Yes, I might have missed something.
Thanks for testing it.
Try to watch the video I posted; If you carefully follow it , you can spot where the settings are not correct
Old 08-08-2022, 02:28 PM   #51
rodolfovalente

Default MIDI Transfer.lua crashed

great script!

for me it works fine until importing MIDI file, assigning source, changing in MuseScore, change appears in REAPER.
The problem is when I try to expand the imported track into new tracks. I assign source, cmd+leftclick to display list of channels and tracks, but when I hit Start, so far I always get the warning message: MIDI Transfer.lua crashed... See full error message from ReaScript Console below.

I'm using REAPER 6.64 Universal on macOS Monterey 12.5.

Error: main.lua:278: attempt to call a nil value (field 'JS_File_Stat')

Stack traceback:
Core.lua:89: in field 'JS_File_Stat'
main.lua:278: in function 'main_tr'
GUI.lua:696: in method 'onmouseup'
Core.lua:889: in field 'Update'
Core.lua:441: in field 'Main_Update_Elms'
Core.lua:303: in function <...ER/Scripts/Daniel Lumertz Scripts/MIDI Transfer/Core.lua:299>
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
Core.lua:299: in function <...ER/Scripts/Daniel Lumertz Scripts/MIDI Transfer/Core.lua:298>

Lokasenna_GUI:
v1.34
Reaper:
6.64/macOS-arm64
Platform:
macOS-arm64
rodolfovalente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #52
daniellumertz

you need to install JS extension (install it via reapack!)
Old 08-09-2022, 01:22 AM   #53
BartR

Quote:
you need to install JS extension (install it via reapack!)
Just my 2 cents (I don't recall if there is already since I did it X time ago): perhaps you can add a small function that checks for the JS extension and in case there is not, just open a reaper.MB() to inform the user ...

Last edited by BartR; 08-09-2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:06 AM   #54
hotzmarino

Supergreat!!!
I will check it
hotzmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:37 PM   #55
daniellumertz

Just to let all know, currently there is no custom plugins in musescore 4 so can't make a plugin to export midi from it right now, they plan to get it back in the future!
Old 12-28-2022, 11:58 AM   #56
bdure

Hi -- I'm new to Reaper, and this looks amazing.

I'm stuck in the installation, though. I've installed ReaPack and the repositories, then installed MIDI Transfer, but I can't find it in the action list. Any advice?
bdure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #57
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdure View Post
Hi -- I'm new to Reaper, and this looks amazing.

I'm stuck in the installation, though. I've installed ReaPack and the repositories, then installed MIDI Transfer, but I can't find it in the action list. Any advice?
In Actions window there is a Section dropdown in the top right corner. If you can't find it in Main section, try MIDI Editor and vice versa.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 09:06 PM   #58
daniellumertz

First I would advise to check if you installed correctly at reapack it should look like these :

(obs: I just discover that someone else pushed another script with the same name, which is odd, I will try to clear the things up on that mater, as this is very very odd. EDIT: I checked the other MIDI Transfer is a unrelated JSFX, I will rename this script to daniellumertz_MIDI Transfer (as it should have been called from the start))

After you confirmed it is installed please go to actions list [at the main section] and search for MIDI Transfer.

Let me know if you need any more help!

I have written this manual for another script(MIDI Toolkit), and it have a section about installing that might intereset you:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1asB...5GuRepoyy/view

Last edited by daniellumertz; 12-28-2022 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:12 AM   #59
BartR

Quote:
Just to let all know, currently there is no custom plugins in musescore 4 so can't make a plugin to export midi from it right now, they plan to get it back in the future!
I installed the 4 some day ago but I didn't tried it yet with Reaper.
I will put the link of this your message on my video tutorial so ppl knows they shouldn't update Musescore.

meanwhile I found this message form Tantacrul

https://github.com/musescore/MuseSco...ent-1156819374 that gives some hope

Last edited by BartR; 12-29-2022 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:08 AM   #60
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartR View Post
I installed the 4 some day ago but I didn't tried it yet with Reaper.
I will put the link of this your message on my video tutorial so ppl knows they shouldn't update Musescore.

meanwhile I found this message form Tantacrul

https://github.com/musescore/MuseSco...ent-1156819374 that gives some hope
Just to clear things up. I am very happy with the decision they are doing to recreate the script/plugins, I thought it was a little confusing using Qt, as in musescore 3. Hopefully they will use some more standard scripting language now, like lua or python, that could enable a even better connection with REAPER.

For now users can use musescore 4, exporting midi manually, or musescore 3.6.2 with midi transfer and then open the musescore file at the newest version latter. There is no need to "not update". As musescore versions don't overwrite themselves.

Last edited by daniellumertz; 12-29-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 01:47 PM   #61
mschnell

Quote:
(obs: I just discover that someone else pushed another script with the same name,
There is no conflict at all, since one is a JSFX and one is a ReaScript.

For clarity, I will try to rename the JSFX to "MIDI route via GMEM" in the ReaTeam repository, nonetheless, as I don't believe anybody already uses it.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #62
BartR

Quote:
Just to clear things up. I am very happy with the decision they are doing to recreate the script/plugins, I thought it was a little confusing using Qt, as in musescore 3. Hopefully they will use some more standard scripting language now, like lua or python, that could enable a even better connection with REAPER.

For now users can use musescore 4, exporting midi manually, or musescore 3.6.2 with midi transfer and then open the musescore file at the newest version latter. There is no need to "not update". As musescore versions don't overwrite themselves.
Their decision indeed it is what I'm hoping for; ANd I hope they will implement it very soon.

If somebody wants to update it: it can.Everything will be manual instead of at the "distance of 1 click" which is paramount for the ergonomy of a software/feature ..; and often it's a concept forgot by programmers, unfortunately ... because they are used to "click here and there" and to "work around" 😊 ... but end users need s immediate stuff ... 1-click-and-go ... so ... I can't wait for the 4.1 ;-)
Old 12-30-2022, 07:05 PM   #63
bdure

Quote:
First I would advise to check if you installed correctly at reapack it should look like these :

(obs: I just discover that someone else pushed another script with the same name, which is odd, I will try to clear the things up on that mater, as this is very very odd. EDIT: I checked the other MIDI Transfer is a unrelated JSFX, I will rename this script to daniellumertz_MIDI Transfer (as it should have been called from the start))

After you confirmed it is installed please go to actions list [at the main section] and search for MIDI Transfer.

Let me know if you need any more help!

I have written this manual for another script(MIDI Toolkit), and it have a section about installing that might intereset you:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1asB...5GuRepoyy/view
Thanks!

I have the packages, and I believe I have the repositories (see attached).

I checked both Main and MIDI Editor as vitalker suggested.

Still can't find it.

Should I do anything with my SWS options?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg repositories (1).jpg (62.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-30-2022, 10:47 PM   #64
daniellumertz

Quote:
Thanks!

I have the packages, and I believe I have the repositories (see attached).

I checked both Main and MIDI Editor as vitalker suggested.

Still can't find it.

Should I do anything with my SWS options?
Can you share a screenshot at the reapack browser packages searching for MIDI Transfer?

I recommend you to read the installation chapter at this manual : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1asB...5GuRepoyy/view

It is for another script but the steps are the same .
Old 12-31-2022, 01:25 AM   #65
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
For clarity, I will try to rename the JSFX to "MIDI route via GMEM" in the ReaTeam repository,
This did work.

@daniellumertz
IMHO not does not make much sense to include ".lua" in the displayed name of a ReaPack contribution.

But it does make a lot of sense to include a decent documentation, as same is searchable in Reapack and hence makes the contribution findable.

-Michael
Old 12-31-2022, 01:53 AM   #66
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
This did work.

@daniellumertz
IMHO not does not make much sense to include ".lua" in the displayed name of a ReaPack contribution.

But it does make a lot of sense to include a decent documentation, as same is searchable in Reapack and hence makes the contribution findable.

-Michael
You know what it seems to miss? I kind of centralized "wiki" for who makes scripts.
It's true that into ReaPack by right clicking, one can have access to description of the package and minimal instructions.

But it's damn trivial. End '70s begin '80s way.
It's also cumbersome for who crates script, to make it (I also did it, but each time: pfffffffffffffffffff).
Instead to be able to have a centralized WIKI, with a link to the related doc directly to the first screen it appears on the ReaPack packages list, it will be way more immediate, nowadays.

Why centralized? Because otherwise, all the programmers should provide their own site with their own Wiki system, with their own way/graphics etc and it's disorienting and way heavier for all of them.
To get it centralized on ReaPack site, instead, the environment is standard for everybody, easier to be consulted by users etc etc etc ...
Old 12-31-2022, 02:56 AM   #67
mschnell

Agreed !
But on top of that the (more extensive) description of any contribution needs to be searchable in the ReaPack Window (like it is for the short description provided in the source code right now) to allow for even finding the item you are interested in. As in Studio many use Reaper without an internet connection this should also work offline.

On top of all that such documentation should also be accessible for installed items in their "natural" environment by e.g. F1 or ctrl-F1 on their name.

-Michael
Old 12-31-2022, 09:44 AM   #68
bdure

Quote:
Can you share a screenshot at the reapack browser packages searching for MIDI Transfer?

I recommend you to read the installation chapter at this manual : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1asB...5GuRepoyy/view

It is for another script but the steps are the same .
Sure -- screenshot attached here.

The installation chapter listed above mentions ReaImGui and links to a thread, but I couldn't figure out how to install it. The thread doesn't have the link to the repository as far as I can tell.

That thread is at https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=250419
Attached Images
File Type: jpg packages (1).jpg (31.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-31-2022, 11:00 AM   #69
daniellumertz

Quote:
Sure -- screenshot attached here.

The installation chapter listed above mentions ReaImGui and links to a thread, but I couldn't figure out how to install it. The thread doesn't have the link to the repository as far as I can tell.

That thread is at https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=250419
look, you installed other MIDI Transfer, from michael, which is a different thing, not related to my script. He was very nice and changed the name for this not happen again, thanks M .

Install the other midi transfer in the list and it should be working!

This script dont require ImGUI but I advise already leave it installed, just search it at reapack and install normally
Old 12-31-2022, 02:04 PM   #70
bdure

Quote:
look, you installed other MIDI Transfer, from michael, which is a different thing, not related to my script. He was very nice and changed the name for this not happen again, thanks M .

Install the other midi transfer in the list and it should be working!

This script dont require ImGUI but I advise already leave it installed, just search it at reapack and install normally
Got it! Thanks, and have a happy New Year.
Old 06-28-2023, 09:28 AM   #71
douscinco

Hello Daniel!
This is clearly what I need!
However, I'm having crashes while using it. I cannot make it work. Last one, while editing the track list.
Error: Class - TextEditor.lua:1195: attempt to index a nil value (local 'str')

Stack traceback:
Core.lua:89: in metamethod '__index'
Class - TextEditor.lua:1195: in field '?'
Class - TextEditor.lua:284: in method 'ontype'
Core.lua:1102: in field 'Update'
Core.lua:303: in function <...ER/Scripts/Daniel Lumertz Scripts/MIDI Transfer/Core.lua:299>
Core.lua:299: in function <...ER/Scripts/Daniel Lumertz Scripts/MIDI Transfer/Core.lua:298>

Lokasenna_GUI:
v1.34
Reaper:
6.80/macOS-arm64
Platform:
macOS-arm64

Another crash after selecting the source and clicking start:
Error: main.lua:125: bad argument #1 to 'GetTrackMediaItem' (MediaTrack expected)

Stack traceback:
Core.lua:89: in function <...ER/Scripts/Daniel Lumertz Scripts/MIDI Transfer/Core.lua:80>
[C]: in field 'GetTrackMediaItem'
main.lua:125: in function 'CopyMediaItem'
main.lua:291: in function 'main_tr'
GUI.lua:696: in method 'onmouseup'
Core.lua:889: in field 'Update'

Lokasenna_GUI:
v1.34
Reaper:
6.80/macOS-arm64
Platform:
macOS-arm64

I'll help gladly to debug this, since it looks a very promising tool!
douscinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:19 PM   #72
daniellumertz

hello douscinco!
Thanks for using MIDI Transfer!
I am still trying to understand what might happened on the first bug, if you have more information about what you did just before it crashed ( liked backspacing at text editor, adding some number ) I am asking because I couldnt reproduce here.

About the second bug, it happened because you were using "MIDI Track" option at MIDI Transfer, but didn't check this checkbox when it prompted :

As it is stated in the manual and in the video, this must be checked. I made an update right now to v1.37.1 now it will ensure you checked it. It wont crash anymore!!

Thanks for the bug reports! Please if you have more let me know!

v1.37.1 Release
Code:
--    + Check versions and extensions before running
--    + Add Clear function to erase MIDI Transfer options at focused project
--    + Bugfix: Prevent getting non midi items as source
--    + Bugfix: Enforce the Expand checkbox
--    + Bugfix: Enforce .font_PCM exists
--    + Bugfix:: Prevent copying channels if they arent in the midi file

Last edited by daniellumertz; 06-28-2023 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:52 AM   #73
sunkenlola

Hi Daniel! I installed all the required extensions, but when I try running MIDI Transfer I get the following error:

...s\Daniel Lumertz Scripts\MIDI Transfer\MIDI Transfer.lua:51: module 'midi_lua' not found:
no field package.preload['midi_lua']
no file 'C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\lua\midi_lua.lua'
no file 'C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\lua\midi_lua\init.lua'
no file 'C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\midi_lua.lua'
no file 'C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\midi_lua\init.lua'
no file 'C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\..\share\lua\5.3\midi_lua.lua'
no file 'C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\..\share\lua\5.3\midi_lua\init.lua'
no file '.\midi_lua.lua'
no file '.\midi_lua\init.lua'
no file 'C:\Users\Flaminia\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\ Daniel Lumertz Scripts\MIDI Transfer\\midi_lua.lua'
no file 'C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\midi_lua.dll'
no file 'C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\..\lib\lua\5.3\midi_lua.dll'
no file 'C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\loadall.dll'
no file '.\midi_lua.dll'

I'm using Reaper 6.81.
Thanks in advance for your help! Excited to try the script!
sunkenlola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 09:05 AM   #74
daniellumertz

Thanks for the report fixing it, it will available in a hour or so

Edit: FIXED

Last edited by daniellumertz; 07-06-2023 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:00 AM   #75
douscinco

Quote:
hello douscinco!
Thanks for using MIDI Transfer!
I am still trying to understand what might happened on the first bug, if you have more information about what you did just before it crashed ( liked backspacing at text editor, adding some number ) I am asking because I couldnt reproduce here.

About the second bug, it happened because you were using "MIDI Track" option at MIDI Transfer, but didn't check this checkbox when it prompted :

As it is stated in the manual and in the video, this must be checked. I made an update right now to v1.37.1 now it will ensure you checked it. It wont crash anymore!!

Thanks for the bug reports! Please if you have more let me know!

v1.37.1 Release
Code:
--    + Check versions and extensions before running
--    + Add Clear function to erase MIDI Transfer options at focused project
--    + Bugfix: Prevent getting non midi items as source
--    + Bugfix: Enforce the Expand checkbox
--    + Bugfix: Enforce .font_PCM exists
--    + Bugfix:: Prevent copying channels if they arent in the midi file
Thank you for your reply and sorry for not having replied sooner!

For the time being, I'll stick with the old workflow, but I'll try to incorporate this in the next project I make. Then, I'll try to debug all problems I encounter.
One of the things I've noticed is that it would be fantastic if there were improvements to the UI so it would be easier to identify tracks in the MIDI source for easier matching into the MIDI destination. For some reason, when I expand the MIDI tracks, it looks that their order is not the same order the plugin works, albeit I admit this could be user error. Will try again.

Another thing is that it would be nice for the plugin to handle changes in tracks after the fact. I have a huge session with every track ordered by timbre (mostly in orchestral score order), and if I insert a track, the whole thing becomes out of sync. I don't know if there is a way to reference tracks by an unique ID, so it stays the same even if I add tracks to the project.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2023, 05:43 AM   #76
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by douscinco View Post

Another thing is that it would be nice for the plugin to handle changes in tracks after the fact. I have a huge session with every track ordered by timbre (mostly in orchestral score order), and if I insert a track, the whole thing becomes out of sync. I don't know if there is a way to reference tracks by an unique ID, so it stays the same even if I add tracks to the project.

Thanks!
This wont happen. MIDI Transfer is already referring to the track specifically instead of the track numbers, so it won't go out of sync, it will automatically updates the numbers. So you can change whatever you want in your project ( it also dont matter if midi transfer is open or not)

Old 07-10-2023, 11:21 AM   #77
douscinco

Wow! that's awesome! I thought they were going to be out of sync, but I guess I assumed it, rather than actually checking it. I don't remember if I did. My bad!
Old 07-10-2023, 11:48 AM   #78
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by douscinco View Post
Wow! that's awesome! I thought they were going to be out of sync, but I guess I assumed it, rather than actually checking it. I don't remember if I did. My bad!
No problem, it happens
Old 09-19-2023, 10:53 AM   #79
douscinco

Hello again.
I'm giving this plugin a go again. However, I get this error:
...s/Daniel Lumertz Scripts/MIDI Transfer/MIDI Transfer.lua:47: module 'midi_lua' not found:
no field package.preload['midi_lua']
no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/midi_lua.lua'
no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/midi_lua/init.lua'
no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/midi_lua.lua'
no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/midi_lua/init.lua'
no file './midi_lua.lua'
no file './midi_lua/init.lua'
no file '/Users/Lucas/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Scripts/Daniel Lumertz Scripts/MIDI Transfer/\midi_lua.lua'
no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/midi_lua.so'
no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/loadall.so'
no file './midi_lua.so'

The interface actually shows up, but it quits after I click 'ok'. What might be causing this problem?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2023, 11:52 AM   #80
daniellumertz

which OS are you using, also which version of MIDI Transfer?

If you are under 1.37.3 ( the current version ) try updating it to the newest version first Extensions>Reapack>Synchronize Packages asking this because there were a fix in the latest version for a simillar bug.

Last edited by daniellumertz; 09-19-2023 at 11:58 AM.