Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-05-2022, 04:18 AM   #1
ebates
Human being with feelings

Default ReaSurroundPan - panning inside the loudspeakers

Hi, I'm really liking the new ReaSurroundPan and it seems to have solved quite a few issues I had with ReaSurround. There is one piece of odd-behaviour though which seems to conflict with how most surround panners work, and doesnt seem to be solvable currently.

At the moment, for the Quadrophonic layout, moving the icon to the centre of the panner causes the input signal to be spread equally to ALL four loudspeakers, which is exactly as I would expect things to work in a surround panner.

However, when any other layout is used moving the icon to the center does not result in the signal being sent equally to All of the loudspeakers. For 5.1 it just goes to the surrounds and the centre, for 7.1 it just goes to the side loudspeakers, etc. I know you can change this slightly by turning down the center or side faders, but then these are also missing if you pan back out to the edges of the array.

I would love a feature whereby the behaviour for the quad array is always replicated for every layout and I believe this is far more typical for most surround panners. I.e. when in the exact center the signal is routed equally to ALL of the loudspeakers, and when moving around the edge of the panning area, simple pairwise panning or single loudspeakers are used.

If this could be implemented I think ReaSurroundPan would be as good as, if not better than most surround panners in other DAWS and would really be a significant improvement that I think shouldn't be too hard to implement. I hope so anyway. I'd love to hear what other users think?
Many thanks,
Enda
ebates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:27 AM   #2
ebates
Human being with feelings

Default Some illustrative screenshots

Hi, here's a few screenshots demonstrating the behaviour I mentioned
Attached Images
File Type: png Quad.png (58.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png 5-1.png (68.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png 7-1.png (66.2 KB, 35 views)
ebates is offline   Reply With Quote