Old 09-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #1
fatharock
Human being with feelings

Default Punchy Kicks

Hello,

I'm not even sure of how to describe in words what it is I hear in pro studio recordings, other than saying the kick (and sometimes the bass) sound very punchy.
Almost like I'm experiencing a shock wave when the beater hits the head, I guess is the closest I can come up with. I've used Realimit as a brickwall limiter and it did give me more omph....

I know I'm hearing limiting or compression, but is this punchy sound even possible with software? If so, how is it done?

Any clue is greatly appreciated,
My best to all,
fatharock
fatharock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:08 PM   #2
domzy

EQ, layering, compression, ducking other stuff out of the way (sidechaining), good mixing skills etc.

difficult to be precise without a specific example
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:29 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatharock View Post
Hello,

I'm not even sure of how to describe in words what it is I hear in pro studio recordings, other than saying the kick (and sometimes the bass) sound very punchy.
Almost like I'm experiencing a shock wave when the beater hits the head, I guess is the closest I can come up with. I've used Realimit as a brickwall limiter and it did give me more omph....

I know I'm hearing limiting or compression, but is this punchy sound even possible with software? If so, how is it done?

Any clue is greatly appreciated,
My best to all,
fatharock
Can you give some audio examples of what you're talking about fatharock?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:36 AM   #4
Winfield

Hard to say in general. Perhaps this technique could work in the context of your mix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGBYs10ZAU
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:56 AM   #5
Judders

A limiter will reduce punch. Longer attack times on a compressor will allow more transient through before reducing gain, getting EQ right; especially high bass and low mids, and high mid boosts. Transient designers to reduce sustain, and most importantly making sure that bass elements aren't stepping on each others' toes and masking each other.

Plenty of digital productions have punchy bass and drums, you could argue that it is easier in digital than an analogue recording.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #6
tonalstates

This could also help, focused more on the kick transients but very awesome technique, he also released a plugin just for this called "slap" by yum Audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt1VbWI6ylU
tonalstates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:53 AM   #7
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatharock View Post
in pro studio recordings
What genre(s) are we talking about? Acoustic drums, recorded in a room, or drums in the box?
Old 09-08-2022, 05:04 PM   #8
SmoothOperator

When I try to emulate a professional bass drum sound, I load it into Reaper and look at the waveform. Pick it apart play different pieces of it. Maybe load it on a DJ turn table program like Serrato maybe scratch it a little bit. You can do this with bass, because it is such a slow waveform. Having said that I think most pro sounds are drums in boxes. I still like to try to get that sound with my acoustic drums, but realistically no speaker is going to reproduce that kind of headroom.
SmoothOperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 02:00 PM   #9
Danje Golden

I honestly have to say that I test always the system that I'm working on with a song that has the desired overall sound/mix qualities that I like.
Afterwards I adjust my reaeq to test on the masterbus.

And if I think something isn't punchy enough I first raise my hardware output levels to taste.

If that doesn't work I eq, compress/multicompress, transientshape, tune, distort or saturate my kicks. Also Bass Professor Mark II and Bass Manager/Booster help big time.

I also cut around 20-50 hz or compress there to not let my low end swallow up all the rest.
Danje Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #10
Cosmic Pig

I run the kick and sometimes toms out to a full on distorted track with a waves overdrive pedal on it. Then slide it in underneath. It's amazing how much grind you can throw at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEJV...oC0Txh5QojFJk0