Old 11-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
shanabit
Human being with feelings

Default How to disable AU support?

I don't want the AU version of plugins or AU Instruments showing up. Any way to just have ONLY VST versions showing up in the list?
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
cfillion

Effects can be filtered by name in Preferences > Plug-ins. Enter NOT AUi: NOT AU: in the "Only show matching filter string" box to hide all audio units.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
Judders

My fx list is divided by type: AU, VST, VST3... isn't yours?

You can also create your own fx folders.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
klong

I came here to ask - is there any reason why using VST, VST3 or AU is "better" in Reaper for Mac ?

Are there tradeoffs?
klong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:49 AM   #5
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
is there any reason why using VST, VST3 or AU is "better" in Reaper for Mac ?
Sometimes VST has better performance, maybe because Reaper was first developed for Windows. I myself don't use AU, because it can't be routed ... no MIDI-out, which I need when I want to record the single notes of my keyboard's ARP.

That's the reason, why I would never use Logic, which is AU only.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
serr

Sometimes one or the other (vst vs. au) might have a bug for a particular plugin. Barring that I see no difference.

There simply ended up being a few different formats to write plugins in as things go. Both .vst and .component (au) are native to OSX much like both .vst and .dll are native to Windows (not to be confused with dylib files which use the same .dll extension in Windows).

There's also the Protools formats (.dpm and whatever the new format is). MOTU has their own (.mas). Logic has their own (which aren't native to OSX). Reaper has its own proprietary format too.

vst ended up being the most popular and most supported format at this point. Barring any buggy software and specific format features (like in vst vs. vst3), they're all pretty much the same. If one format has greater stability than another it's not made itself apparent to me in any way up to this point. I haven't seen any kind of issue mixing and matching formats in the same mix project either.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 02:26 PM   #7
John Allsup

Default Why I disable AU

I have nothing against AU in principle. But AU plugins only work on a Mac. I use both Apple, Windows (and Linux, though not for music). If I use e.g. the Zebra VSTi on the Mac, save my project, load it on a Windows PC with Zebra installed, it loads fine. If, however, I use the AU version on the Mac, it does not, since it can't find said AudioUnit on the PC. So no matter if there is any technological value, when it comes to project portability, AU simply doesn't work. (Behind the scenes, once it comes down to DSP, they are both just sending a few buffers to a function that looks at input buffers and computes the output buffers, and is likely the same code whether AU or VST.) I know of no compelling feature of AUs except that they work in Logic (and I haven't used Logic since Logic Pro 9).
Old 09-07-2022, 06:54 PM   #8
Broken Glass Audio

If you have no plans to use AU, and you're positive you won't in the future, you can delete them completely from your computer. Go into your plugin library and delete anything in the "Components" folder. I've done the same with anything that has VST and VST3 versions as well. The VST get deleted. I wish more plugin manufacturers would let you decide what to install.
Broken Glass Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:01 AM   #9
shanabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Glass Audio View Post
If you have no plans to use AU, and you're positive you won't in the future, you can delete them completely from your computer. Go into your plugin library and delete anything in the "Components" folder. I've done the same with anything that has VST and VST3 versions as well. The VST get deleted. I wish more plugin manufacturers would let you decide what to install.
That works UNTIL you try to open up a Logic Project.
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:06 PM   #10
Broken Glass Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
That works UNTIL you try to open up a Logic Project.
Absolutely. If you use logic they are needed. The filter string posted by cfillion will take care of hiding them in reaper but still making them available in logic.
Broken Glass Audio is offline   Reply With Quote