Old 09-17-2022, 09:02 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Perfect Plate at a nice price

Not that you need another reverb, but this one is tremendously cool, unique and on sale: https://www.pluginboutique.com/produ...ntpage-nosto-3

I was happy to pay full price for my copy. Sounds awesome and a bunch of modulation and fx under the hood. Too bad lazy UI design has become so trendy... *sigh*
Old 09-18-2022, 05:15 AM   #2
maxdembo

I like this one, got it for £1

maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
foxAsteria

And for a moment I found myself thinking, that's a weird looking reverb...
Old 09-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #4
grinder

It certainly has been around!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #5
martifingers

It's OK but I think it needs a service (I'll get my coat...)
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:22 PM   #6
grinder

Sticky Fingers now that was a band
I don't know that they were from farming stock though?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:18 AM   #7
chacka

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
And for a moment I found myself thinking, that's a weird looking reverb...
:-D
chacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:33 AM   #8
Frank Lee Scarlett

This is a great Star Wars thread. Anyone know where I can go to talk about plate reverbs?
Frank Lee Scarlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:36 AM   #9
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
This is a great Star Wars thread. Anyone know where I can go to talk about plate reverbs?
Old 09-21-2022, 08:34 AM   #10
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
Gearspace. Although the conversation will be entirely about M1 compatibility and lack of clean output gain.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:51 PM   #11
Judders

Quote:
Not that you need another reverb, but this one is tremendously cool, unique and on sale: https://www.pluginboutique.com/produ...ntpage-nosto-3

I was happy to pay full price for my copy. Sounds awesome and a bunch of modulation and fx under the hood. Too bad lazy UI design has become so trendy... *sigh*
To be fair to Denise; that's not laziness, it's just the kind of GUI you have to have if you want your plugins to use vector graphics and be infinitely scalable and consistent across all desktop and mobile platforms.

There are no gradients or textures in the future!
Old 09-19-2022, 06:28 AM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Everyone will wear matching white uniforms and all rooms in all houses and buildings will be 100% stark white.

Outside the utopian structures, the world will be dark from a lack of both physical and spiritual light, but at least there will be high contrast!

Edit: BTW, the perfect plate for me is OverTone DSP's RVB500. It sounds like the plate reverbs I remember hearing soloed on my drums in 24 track recording studios, and unlike Win/Mac only plugins, it is also available for native Linux. It has gradients and textures though, so it might not work in the future.

Last edited by Glennbo; 09-19-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:42 AM   #13
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Everyone will wear matching white uniforms and all rooms in all houses and buildings will be 100% stark white.

Outside the utopian structures, the world will be dark from a lack of both physical and spiritual light, but at least there will be high contrast!
I lived that nightmare already!

Old 09-19-2022, 07:03 AM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
I lived that nightmare already!
THX1138 was found to be using using gradients, so they locked him up.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #15
foxAsteria

Quote:
To be fair to Denise; that's not laziness, it's just the kind of GUI you have to have if you want your plugins to use vector graphics and be infinitely scalable and consistent across all desktop and mobile platforms.

I've seen plenty of vector gfx interfaces that were both great to use and to look at. The problem here for me is it's just a bunch of cluttered text to look at. It's slow and intuitive to work with. I don't care about textures and gradients, but shadows are a very effective indicator of interactive elements. They even work better in vector, because they stand out more in a smooth interface, making controls very obvious.

The no-caps style adversely affects readability as much as ALL-CAPS would. Why choose that? It's nothing more than a trend extending from lazy text communication. It's a preference that leans toward "style," rather than utility.

Those are superficial nitpicks though. The laziness I refer to is mostly in the fact that the horizontal sliders can only be dragged up and down to change them. I'm calling it lazy because right above it we have parameters which don't even look like parameters, but they can be adjusted with left/right and up/down. Oh and they're also buttons. On the face of it though, they appear to be nothing more than labels.

When half the UI design can only be discovered by accident or by reading the manual, it fails to be intuitive (Yea I know that's a subjective word).

I call it lazy bc it's a design that is informed by the author's preference and convenience, rather than form following function. I don't know for a fact that a single, non-designer-coder built everything but I'd bet on it. The internal coding is obviously top notch. It's just as obvious someone with amateur-level design skills designed the interface. Or someone who thinks UI is merely a required afterthought.

If you want to see good vector design, look no further than Sai'ke's plugins. You can tell right away that artistic sensibilities have improved the experience. There are things I could criticize there (tiny tiny label-less buttons), but compared to denise UI...do I even need to say it?
Old 09-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #16
Softsynth

Image line, Cherry Audio , Surge XT, U-HE - off the top of my head, all examples where they aren't this ultra minimalist graphics.

Valhalla DSP choose the ultra minimalist look for vector but it's not mandatory.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #17
foxAsteria

Oof, Valhalla's the worst of the bunch. Putting the version number prominently on the interface in the same font size as any of the other info? Really? I'll ignore it because the sound is divine, but it honestly triggers me to see such bad design. Then they even try to romanticize the story of how they shot their designer in the foot. I'd sure hate to get credit for those eyesores...

Shimmer even has a gradient but...it's not helping a damned thing! All it's doing is drawing my eyes over and over again to the flipping name of the plugin! As if anyone can't tell it's made by valhalla! Arrgh!!

Not to mention, nothing else really says amateur/lazy designer than flipping gradients. Oi. Why not throw some star shaped lens flares on there while we're at it? Maybe some 3-D window edging would be nice... Oh but no, that sort of bling just won't do. valhalla draws the line at gradients.

Love U-he designs tho. Could do without the wood paneling, but clearly I'm never gonna be completely satisfied haha...

@maxdembo How is it I've never heard of this film?!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-19-2022 at 04:59 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:14 PM   #18
Judders

Quote:
Oof, Valhalla's the worst of the bunch. Putting the version number prominently on the interface in the same font size as any of the other info? Really? I'll ignore it because the sound is divine, but it honestly triggers me to see such bad design. Then they even try to romanticize the story of how they shot their designer in the foot. I'd sure hate to get credit for those eyesores...

Shimmer even has a gradient but...it's not helping a damned thing! All it's doing is drawing my eyes over and over again to the flipping name of the plugin! As if anyone can't tell it's made by valhalla! Arrgh!!

Not to mention, nothing else really says amateur/lazy designer than flipping gradients. Oi. Why not throw some star shaped lens flares on there while we're at it? Maybe some 3-D window edging would be nice... Oh but no, that sort of bling just won't do. valhalla draws the line at gradients.

Love U-he designs tho. Could do without the wood paneling, but clearly I'm never gonna be completely satisfied haha...

I can see you have strong feelings about this.

All I can say is that I like the Vintage Verb GUI. Sorry
Old 09-20-2022, 03:20 AM   #19
maxdembo

Quote:
Sheer cultural ignorance?

Its got one of the greatest soundtracks, and ambient noises in the film. Walter Murch was on fire while making that. Highly recommended for the sound, film is a bit of a bore, but still good. Lucas, because he cant help himself, went back and added extra CGI n stuff.

Reminds me, I must go back to that song I wrote in 1998 and add a slightly different bassline that sticks out like a sore thumb as completely out of place and unnecessary.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:07 AM   #20
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria
Dunno, and George Lucas has been raking it in from the THX standard for decades. It's no Star Wars though, a very very different kettle fish. More dystopian hell come fevered dream.
A few iconic designs here and there, and it's been sampled from the late eighties for all kinds of music.
Worth a look but it's no 1984.

Quote:
I can see you have strong feelings about this.

All I can say is that I like the Vintage Verb GUI. Sorry
+1.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #21
Time Waster

Quote:
Oof, Valhalla's the worst of the bunch...
I really like the Valhalla UI. I hate UI's that try to look like hardware. I want my software to look like software.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:04 PM   #22
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Image line, Cherry Audio , Surge XT, U-HE - off the top of my head, all examples where they aren't this ultra minimalist graphics.

Valhalla DSP choose the ultra minimalist look for vector but it's not mandatory.
U-he, Cherry Audio and Shimmer aren't pure vector graphics, they have raster elements too.

I guess gradients can be rasterized on the fly, but textured elements can't.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:32 PM   #23
Tubeguy

Quote:
oo bad lazy UI design has become so trendy... *sigh*
Yeah it's pretty ugly. Won't do much for inspiration that's for sure.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:13 AM   #24
Tubeguy

Crazy as it sounds but from all the plates and IR's that I've tried, I'm using Dead Duck reverb to get a nice plate sound. You just need to find the right setting otherwise it just sounds like an ordinary reverb.