Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Susan G
Human being with feelings

Default Editing multiple MIDI clips in ME?

Hi-

I have 2 adjacent MIDI clips selected in a track, and the Time Selection spans those 2 items. I don't want to glue them at this point, but I do want them to appear together in the MIDI editor. So with just that track selected I selected "Open items in MIDI editor > Open all MIDI items in selected tracks in one editor".

The Time Selection I set actually starts around bar 60, but the highlighted clip is the first in the track, rather than the 2 I selected.

Then I thought maybe I have to select the Time range *after* the MIDI is loaded in the Editor, but that doesn't work either.

I also tried selecting the 2 clips and using "Open items with built-in MIDI editor", but I can't find a way to make the playback continue past the first clip unless I select it.

Please help me understand, since I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than it is!

[3.35, but I see the same behavior in 3.36pre2]

Thanks-

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
nofish

Not sure if I understood correctly.

If you're talking about editing multiple Midi clips at once, it's not possible (yet).

Here's a discussion thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=42277

And here the FR:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1157

(please vote if you find it useful)

If you're talking about displaying multiple Midi clips in one editor, that's currently possible. You can switch between them be clicking the darker (background) notes or using the filter. Only one clip can be activated for editing at a time though.

Last edited by nofish; 03-10-2010 at 11:28 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Not sure if I understood correctly.

If you're talking about editing multiple Midi clips at once, it's not possible (yet).

Here's a discussion thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=42277

And here the FR:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1157

(please vote if you find it useful)

If you're talking about displaying multiple Midi clips in one editor, that's currently possible. You can switch between them be clicking the darker (background) notes or using the filter. Only one clip can be activated for editing at a time though.
Yes, you understood correctly on both points! I just voted for the FR.

Re point #2: Yes, I can switch b/w them, but I can't get seamless playback through them (yet) -- correct?

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 03-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Susan, you can maybe find a workaround by checking MIDI Editor Menu: Options -> 'Sync editor transport to project transport', solo the track and use a loop or markers for navigation.

That said, things could be far better in that aspect. I eg don't like how the scrollbar is restricted to the active item and that grid lines are only shown in the active area. And some more of such stuff.

But I am in an extraordinary forgiving mood, because we're finally getting editable CC events in piano roll with the next release Woohoo!
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Susan, you can maybe find a workaround by checking MIDI Editor Menu: Options -> 'Sync editor transport to project transport', solo the track and use a loop or markers for navigation.

That said, things could be far better in that aspect. I eg don't like how the scrollbar is restricted to the active item and that grid lines are only shown in the active area. And some more of such stuff.

But I am in an extraordinary forgiving mood, because we're finally getting editable CC events in piano roll with the next release Woohoo!
Hi gofer-

Yes, I just kept trying to drag the scrollbar, thinking that somehow by force of will I'd get it to move!

It's just the apparent "absolute" demarcation of MIDI clips that's throwing me. I'm not used to that, so it'll take some getting used to (or not, depending on how quickly things change! ).

Thanks-

-Susan