Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
AkeW
Human being with feelings

Default Monitor through FX but record input with output latency compensation?

Hope this makes sense...

I want to record a DI-signal from a guitar, while record-monitoring through some VST FX.

With latency, this will mean I have to play _before the beat_ to make the monitored sound play in sync with the other tracks - while recording.

So, when recording - everything sounds 'in time'. But when playing this back, Reaper will (I think...?) compensate for latency, and move my DI-track so it is actually 'before the beat' as it was really played.

But, I want the recorded track to be delayed by the latency so what was _heard when recording_ is what is heard when playing back the project.

This is almost like 'record output without latency compensation' - but I want to record the DI sound, not post-fx sound.

Is this possible in a simple way without using a time-correction plugin on playback (not during recording)?
AkeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Right-click the track meter or rec arm button and check "Preserve PDC delayed monitoring in recorded items".
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
mschnell

If you want to monitor through Reaper and use the FX chain, this would be a "live" situation for the software. Here of course low latency action is necessary. (I do this all the time, as I mainly use Reaper as a live tool (playing keyboards and multiple VST instruments. )

To do so, you need
- an AD / DA interface specified for low latency, the driver set for low buffer count
- a decently fast processor
- Windows tweaked for "realtime" use (don't know about other OSes)
- if us use convolution reverb, ReaVerb set to "no latency" (LL and ZL check boxes)

- Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
AkeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Right-click the track meter or rec arm button and check "Preserve PDC delayed monitoring in recorded items".
Wow! Thanks!
AkeW is offline   Reply With Quote