Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-31-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
m5blackmond
Human being with feelings

Default Addictive Drums sometimes lags

Hey guys. I've recently run into a nuisance issue, and I'm not really sure where to start to look for it. I use Addictive Drums plug in for my drums, and for the last year or so, it's been working without issue.

It seems like, within the last week or so, during playback, a random kick hit will be like an 8th note late or early. I want to say it's only kick hits, but that may be that those are the most obvious when they're off (it's probably any drum piece). If I playback the section again, it's fine. I think the rest of the instruments aren't delayed, but drums are my only MIDI instrument.

I had a few things happen recently that made me believe it was somehow related.

-Like a month ago, I went into options to add a VST path, and I accidentally cleared it. This was heartbreaking because I knew I had a bunch of random paths in there (most of my plug ins are in a central directory though). It took me an especially long time to find the Addictive Drums dll (it got put into some strange spot you wouldn't think to look). Ever since then, I've had some weird audio issues where sometimes when I open a second project tab, the sound will stop working. I'll have to restart Reaper to get it to work. Does reaper do anything at normal runtime with that list of VSTs? Or is it only processed when you are looking for a VST? If the list is *huge* or at a high directory (i.e., lots to parse), would that cause any playback issues? I figured all the VSTs are cache'd when you add them.

-I also did a slew of windows updates a couple days ago, but I doubt it's related.

Anyway - it seems like it's possibly soundcard related, but I don't even know where to start to debug this issue. I'm hoping someone has had something similar happen.

-Win7
-Guitar -> Axe FX -> Scarlett 2i4 -> Reaper -> Soundcard (asus xonar essence stx something or other) -> Monitors/headphones
-32bit reaper (is there a 64bit option?): I see that reaper is sometimes taking up to like 1GB of RAM, which isn't the limit for 32bit apps, but could it somehow be related?

Thanks in advanced for any help.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:17 AM   #2
ivansc

Have you tried running the XLN online installer to make sure IT picks up what is where and that you are up to date?
The XLN stuff in my experience is not the most robust, although the programs DO work well and provide decent quality emulations.

My addictive keys install went through a period of messing itself up a while back & then it suddenly cleared with what ever the latest update via the installer was.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
m5blackmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Have you tried running the XLN online installer to make sure IT picks up what is where and that you are up to date?
The XLN stuff in my experience is not the most robust, although the programs DO work well and provide decent quality emulations.

My addictive keys install went through a period of messing itself up a while back & then it suddenly cleared with what ever the latest update via the installer was.
Hey! Thanks so much for that tip. I haven't updated AD since I bought it in like 2014. I checked the online installer and it said "AD Needs Repair". I'm not sure if they always say that if there is an update or legit issue, but I of course updated.

I've listened through some tracks a few times, and I'm not noticing any lag so far! Thanks so much again for the tip!