Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #41
Jeffsounds
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmb View Post
I´ve just installed the last sws extension and can even find the contextual toolbar menu, not even on the action list.
As a matter of fact, i cant find any of the added actions on the last sws update.
Same here. I just figured contextual toolbars wasn't included yet and is still in the beta stage?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #42
el-duderino

Quote:
As a matter of fact, i cant find any of the added actions on the last sws update.
Did you download the prerelease?
(Download here (scroll down a bit for pre-release))

(just making sure because your wording can be interpreted as latest 'regular' sws update)
el-duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #43
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
contextual toolbar don't work in floating midi editor, but here in docker - all fine
Please specify your OS, REAPER version, supply example project (together with repro steps), your REAPER.ini and BR.ini.
Also, I need to know if you're using localization - if so, I will also need your langpack.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazai View Post
Sorry but I can't do it. I can not Contextual toolbars dialog. Where can I paste this sws dylib file ? Double click doesn't work.

Quote:
am i doing something wrong? I never had an issue like this on the past after installing an extension
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Same here. I just figured contextual toolbars wasn't included yet and is still in the beta stage?

Yes, you're doing something wrong - you're not reading
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Contextual toolbars have finally been released in the latest SWS pre-release (v2.5.1 #0)
Download here (scroll down a bit for pre-release)
Documentation can be found here

Last edited by Breeder; 12-12-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #44
Olegnik

Hi! After changed ReaMenus-4.62 I can not to find menu "Extensions" .In reaper nativ configuration this menu was between "help" and "action" .Where it now ?
Olegnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #45
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olegnik View Post
Hi! After changed ReaMenus-4.62 I can not to find menu "Extensions" .In reaper nativ configuration this menu was between "help" and "action" .Where it now ?
So "Extensions" was in its normal spot until you installed ReaMenus and then it disappeared? Weird. Try installing SWS again.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:12 AM   #46
Sumalc

Thanks you, contextual toolbars are really fantastic.
Sumalc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:45 AM   #47
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazai View Post
Sorry but I can't do it. I can not Contextual toolbars dialog. Where can I paste this sws dylib file ? Double click doesn't work.

^ that's the correct way to install the SWS extension on OSX BUT if you're running OSX >= 10.9 (i.e. Mavericks, Yosemite) you will get an "unidentified developer" error message (actually this message should be "this developer refuses Apple's racket") when double-clicking.
Instead, you have ctrl+click > and choose "Open" in the context menu, and then "Open" again in the "unidentified developer" message. We'll improve this in the future (normal drag-drop DMG style).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olegnik View Post
This either means SWS isn't correctly installed, or that you are confused by ReaMenu which renames the "Extension" menu into "Memory" (and also replaces all its content, so you won't find any new features in there either).

hahaha

____

PM @ Breeder: ouch yeah, I see :/ Feel to reorganize the website to make pre-releases more visible!
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #48
Commala

Hello, just tried out the new SWS release and I'm experiencing a problem with the contextual toolbars.

I have an automation toolbar set to pop up over the envelope lanes, and an editing toolbar over the track lanes. But the automation toolbar only ever appears over the track lane, and then only intermittently. The majority of the time it only pops the editing toolbar.

Reaper 4.76 64-bit
Windows 7

Edit: some more details

I removed all assignments, and just made an assignment to the envelope lane. The toolbar will not pop-up when the cursor is over the envelope lane, but it will when centered in the track lane that the envelope belongs to.
Note I do have separate lanes for my envelopes enabled as a preference. They are not superimposed on the track.

Last edited by Commala; 01-07-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #49
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
Hello, just tried out the new SWS release and I'm experiencing a problem with the contextual toolbars.

I have an automation toolbar set to pop up over the envelope lanes, and an editing toolbar over the track lanes. But the automation toolbar only ever appears over the track lane, and then only intermittently. The majority of the time it only pops the editing toolbar.

Reaper 4.76 64-bit
Windows 7

Edit: some more details

I removed all assignments, and just made an assignment to the envelope lane. The toolbar will not pop-up when the cursor is over the envelope lane, but it will when centered in the track lane that the envelope belongs to.
Note I do have separate lanes for my envelopes enabled as a preference. They are not superimposed on the track.
Can you please supply example project, your BR.ini and REAPER.ini and gif of the problem. Also if you're using localization or custom theme, I will need those too. Thanks!

Last edited by Breeder; 01-07-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #50
Commala

Wait, a restart of my computer seems to have cleared it up. Sorry for the trouble, I actually had tried the pre's as well and they were behaving the same as I described above.

But now all seems to be well!

Last edited by Commala; 01-07-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:26 PM   #51
Breeder

Quote:

Here's the gif to begin with.

Notice how the one track with two envelopes has two locations where the toolbar will appear.
Just to make sure, this happens always? Because I had a similar bug during development where the bug appeared only after you've scrolled in one direction.
I will still need other files though since I still can't replicate.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #52
Breeder

Quote:
Wait, a restart of my computer seems to have cleared it up. Sorry for the trouble, I actually had tried the pre's as well and they were behaving the same as I described above.

But now all seems to be well!
Ah good, but it's a shame since now we don't know what caused it and I would love to find out!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #53
Commala

Quote:
Ah good, but it's a shame since now we don't know what caused it and I would love to find out!
I can send you those ini's and my project file if you think they will still be useful.

The problem was happening with other themes as well, but I can also send you the one I was using.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:46 PM   #54
Breeder

Quote:
I can send you those ini's and my project file if you think they will still be useful.

The problem was happening with other themes as well, but I can also send you the one I was using.
I'm not surprised that it's not connected to the theme, but so much factors are taken into account with mouse detection that it's always good to have all the files that could somehow influence it.

I guess you could send those, but without repro steps I would be in the dark :/ But let's do it...I'll put on your settings for some time and see if the problems appears here too. If you don't want to share all of those files publicly, just PM them.

If it happens again, it would be terrific if you remembered exacts steps that led to the behavior.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 PM   #55
Commala

As far as repro steps, I always found this bug even when I was trying the pre's. So there were no steps in particular. Everything else worked, but the envelope lane was being unresponsive.

PM'd you

Last edited by Commala; 01-08-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:52 AM   #56
Breeder

Ah, with big help of Commala we determined the cause of the bug over PM. It was about having the first track in TCP hidden.
In case anyone has the same problem, try showing first track in TCP, load the toolbar and hide the TCP track again - it should work afterwards until REAPER is restarted.

I'll commit a fix soon so it should be solved in next build!
Old 04-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #57
Nick Efremov

Hello!
I have auto close issue. I set auto-close chekmark and there is no auto-close of toolbars! I want to close toolbar after pressing on button with action.
Maybe on Mac it works wrong? (mac, Mavericks)
Thanks.
Nick Efremov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #58
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Efremov View Post
Hello!
I have auto close issue. I set auto-close chekmark and there is no auto-close of toolbars! I want to close toolbar after pressing on button with action.
Maybe on Mac it works wrong? (mac, Mavericks)
Thanks.
This helps ?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=158528
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #59
Reno.thestraws

I played with contextual toolbars and it's a must!

Just one thing. I set the actions "press active toolbar button 01 -> 10" to keyboard shortcut 1 to 10

so i can open the toolbar and activate the tool I want just by pressing the number i want

BUT i found 2 problems

1) the toolbar doesn't focus so i need to click on it and then press my num shortcut... I found a work around by making a custom action

exlusive toggle contextual toolbar under mouse preset 1
left click at mouse cursor

2) the auto close fonction doesn't work at all

by activating the press Button -> nope (would be so handy!)
by clicking the toolbar icon -> nope

here's a licecap
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...to%20close.gif

REAPER 5.0 pre24 x64
SWS 2.6.0 built 0 x64
windows 7 pro 64 bit

any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #60
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
BUT i found 2 problems

1) the toolbar doesn't focus so i need to click on it and then press my num shortcut... I found a work around by making a custom action
Yes, that's because REAPER doesn't set focus to it (I show the toolbar using the action)...I can add an option for that.

Quote:
2) the auto close fonction doesn't work at all

by activating the press Button -> nope (would be so handy!)
by clicking the toolbar icon -> nope

here's a licecap
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...to%20close.gif

REAPER 5.0 pre24 x64
SWS 2.6.0 built 0 x64
windows 7 pro 64 bit

any suggestions?
Actions that press toolbar button should also auto close the toolbar, but for some reason it seems Contextual toolbars aren't able to hook into toolbar procedure on your configuration.

Can you do me a favor and check if options that change toolbar position are working (both auto close and toolbar position options need to find toolbar's HWND - if toolbar position is also not working, it's quite possible that SWS just can't find your toolbar HWND. I did harden some of that HWND search stuff for next pre-release (and have one more idea to make it even more reliable...will add it too)) Your toolbar names look normal, so I would guess there could be a problem due to localization if you use it. After you test position options, maybe you could also try and deactivate your langpack and see if that fixes it.

Thanks!

In any case, please wait for new SWS pre-release - it may as well fix it - if not, please report it here or on our GitHub tracker together with your REAPER.ini, reaper-menu.ini, BR.ini and lagpack if you use it.

Last edited by Breeder; 04-14-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #61
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
Can you do me a favor and check if options that change toolbar position are working (both auto close and toolbar position options need to find toolbar's HWND - if toolbar position is also not working, it's quite possible that SWS just can't find your toolbar HWND. I did harden some of that HWND search stuff for next pre-release (and have one more idea to make it even more reliable...will add it too)) Your toolbar names look normal, so I would guess there could be a problem due to localization if you use it. After you test position options, maybe you could also try and deactivate your langpack and see if that fixes it.
I just made the test
position offset works as expected and believe it or not, it make the auto close function working as expected (by click or press toolbar action)

and... just check this out

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...n%20offset.gif

I Dont' use any langpack, it's a fresh portable install of reaper with almost nothing change from default configuration (just some cycle action and one or two custom action)

Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #62
Breeder

Quote:
I just made the test
position offset works as expected and believe it or not, it make the auto close function working as expected (by click or press toolbar action)
This is really interesting - that means Contextual toolbars don't have a problem finding toolbar HWND (that's good news, cause that's like the touchiest part of the code (together with making CC lane last clicked)). So the bug must be somewhere in procedure hook code and it's probably something silly (and probably not fixed by next SWS pre)

Can you please send me your (PM if you don't want to share publicly):
REAPER.ini
BR.ini
reaper-menu.ini

edit:
I just noticed you're not using SWS pre-relase. Can you please check if bug reappears with it:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=153702
I did some changes to procedure hook code between official and latest pre-release so it may be already fixed
Btw, if you're using REAPER 5, you should definitely use SWS pre-releases as a lot of stuff in REAPER 5 required certain updates to SWS which are now incorporated in latest pre-release
Old 04-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #63
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
Btw, if you're using REAPER 5, you should definitely use SWS pre-releases as a lot of stuff in REAPER 5 required certain updates to SWS which are now incorporated in latest pre-release
Oh god! Sorry! I didn't check the pres...

Work as expected with the latest pre-release!

Sorry!
Old 04-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #64
Breeder

Quote:
Oh god! Sorry! I didn't check the pres...

Work as expected with the latest pre-release!

Sorry!
No problem...I'm developing this and I'm also having trouble following all the changes
So we just have to add the option to focus the toolbar for the next pre-release
Old 04-15-2015, 05:30 AM   #65
Nick Efremov

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I push "always on top" and now it works. Thanks.
Nick Efremov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #66
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Efremov View Post
I push "always on top" and now it works. Thanks.
I guess you're also not using pre-release version of SWS?
If you ever have time to test pre-release versions it would be really handy since it would allow me to know if this needs fixing or not
Old 05-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #67
plamuk

i'm still having a little bit of problems getting that nice small borderless toolbar that i see breeder using.

it works great with items, but in empty track spaces i still get a left border and a thumbtack. i want neither.

here's both the desired behavior and the part i don't like. note the difference between the item contextual toolbar and the empty space on the track's contextual toolbar.

edit, i think i figured it out. looks like toolbars prefer to be horizontal as opposed to vertical.

Last edited by plamuk; 05-01-2015 at 08:56 AM.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #68
plamuk

what have you guys done with this feature?

i think it's extraordinary but i'm having a hard time plotting out what would be useful where.

here's what i've done so far. i'm only using 1 preset so far. i have a shortcut key on my keyboard and also on one of my midi controllers so i can quickly access the toolbar regardless of where my hands are.

over TCP, my contextual toolbar drops an fx chain onto the selected tracks. there are some familiar names there probably

arrange view: sets different grid divisions, also FiPM and automation options

audio item:

"blur" copies the item, pulls the cursor back to the fade in of the previous item, and pastes it. this essentially sustains the item.
fade left/right fades in the item from the edge to the cursor position
pitch envelope
"normal" take stereo mode
inverse take stereo mode
L channel mode
R channel mode

---------------

what else is there to do? any ideas for midi contextual toolbars? i think that this feature is a game changer and that it will play a big part of my future REAPER use.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #69
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
what else is there to do? any ideas for midi contextual toolbars? i think that this feature is a game changer and that it will play a big part of my future REAPER use.
I've also been getting into these contextual toolbars just recently, great feature indeed.

So far I haven't done much with it though.
Over arrange view I also have set grid buttons pop up, and in MIDI editor over CC lanes this:

(four CC 'visibilty slots' there amongst other things)

I'm also interested what others do with this feature...
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #70
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
I'm also interested what others do with this feature...
a lot!
and, personnaly, it's super amazing with the actions :

press active toolbar button XX of the action list

I'v got my shortcut 1 to 0 assigned to the "press active toolbars... actions

so i can make a combo of key to load different tools in a contextual context

imagine you choose ENTER as the key opener of the contexutal toolbar

so yo can hit ENTER + 1 over an item to load your number one tool

but if you hit ENTER + 1 over the grid, you set your grid à whole note

Enter + 1 over envelope , you...

Old 05-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #71
heda

Yes. I am also thinking Enter is a good key, or Backspace. Big keys for easy access.
I still think also that it would be great to be able to Right click only to launch the toolbar. But this would override the default right click menus of REAPER, that are everywhere. So maybethe first button of the toolbar could be a button to display the original menu. I don't know if it makes any sense.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #72
Breeder

I love using "set CC lane as last clicked" with CC selector toolbar

Here's the toolbar itself:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/23995/cc%20...bar.ReaperMenu

I've been planing to add the actions which move last clicked CC lane up/down...I think it would work great with rest of the toolbar.

Last edited by Breeder; 05-03-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #73
plamuk

thanks for your responses, guys! reno straws, that method is very cool. i was thinking of doing the same with my launchpad, whereupon hitting a button flashes 16 or so of the launchpad lights to represent the 16 onscreen button options.

Breeder, is there any chance of a FX toolbar popup option while mousing over the FX chain window for tracks? currently i have my FX popup occur over MCP and TCP, but if the FX window is already up my mind wants to have a contextual toob pop up right there over the FX chain window. or does this get stymied by the "specialness" of the fx chain window?

excited to see where i am next year at the same time with this contextual toob function. it already allowed me to put together a song yesterday after configuration with amazing ease and speed.

thanks for your work. this is one of my favorite features in REAPER, ever. it makes working with the mouse so much more enjoyable.

any tips for a contextual toolbar over "midi items" -?? so far i just have the main arrange page's "quantize" option but that's pretty weak.

i would LOVE to be able to trigger quantize presets from within the MIDI editor. i'd just have a whole toolbar full of specific quantize settings/strength settings and grab them from there rather than configuring them each time.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #74
Breeder

Quote:
Breeder, is there any chance of a FX toolbar popup option while mousing over the FX chain window for tracks? currently i have my FX popup occur over MCP and TCP, but if the FX window is already up my mind wants to have a contextual toob pop up right there over the FX chain window. or does this get stymied by the "specialness" of the fx chain window?
We can only reliably tell if the window is a floating FX window, but detecting chain is a bit risky since it could only get detected by name (as far as I know), and that is not such a reliable method and could potentially not always work :/

Quote:
thanks for your work. this is one of my favorite features in REAPER, ever. it makes working with the mouse so much more enjoyable.
Thanks man, and thank you for your work. Lesser Known Good and Seven Hills are one of the best songs I've ever heard
Old 05-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #75
stereolost

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Yes. I am also thinking Enter is a good key, or Backspace. Big keys for easy access.
I still think also that it would be great to be able to Right click only to launch the toolbar. But this would override the default right click menus of REAPER, that are everywhere. So maybethe first button of the toolbar could be a button to display the original menu. I don't know if it makes any sense.
In OSX i use "Better Touch Tool" app, for which there are probably good Win alternatives. In lets you program any mouse or key combinations to anything you want. Very cool thing is that there are Modifier+Mouse combinations.. So i have Ctrl+Right.Click triggering "Enter" on Keyboard, which means contextual toolbar. Really loving it.
stereolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:04 AM   #76
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
contextual toolbar don't work in floating midi editor, but here in docker - all fine
It's possible these problems with contextual toolbars in MIDI editors have been detected.
It seems that in certain cases, REAPER will save the name of midi take without surrounding quotes (NAME test as opposed to NAME "test").

When this happens, a lot of things break in SWS, not just contextual toolbars. We'll fix it for the next build.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #77
TheWhistler

I´m sorry. I can´t get that to work. Maybe I got it wrong somehow.
I thought contextual means right-click ???
I made a button for my main toolbar to toggle the preset 1.
I just asigned my color-toolbar to the tcp for testing the funtionality.
In my case this is floating TB 2.
I right clicked -> nothing happened

I guess this is not the right way to run the action.

I´ve gone through the documentation on the Reaper-Wiki.
I simply can´t see what I am doing wrong.

Thank´s for help in advance.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #78
Breeder

It's all in the wiki.

You just need to assign shortcut to action that toggles contextual toolbar. If you edited preset 1 of contextual toolbars, simply search the actions list for:

Code:
sws br contextual toolbar preset 1
and then keybind the action to whatever keys you want.

Btw, I see that wiki is lacking information about what different actions do (exclusive toggle vs open/close) so I updated it.
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph..._load_toolbars
Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #79
TheWhistler

Quote:
and then keybind the action to whatever keys you want.
That means I have to hover my mouse (cursor) over something (e.g. tcp) and then do my keystroke?
Is there a way to do it with mouse modifiers (e.g. right click) for context menu?
Old 05-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #80
Breeder

As has been stated before in this thread, it's not possible to call contextual toolbar with right-click.
However, some mouse modifier contexts support setting action to them, so you could assign contextual toolbar action to whichever mouse modifier feels good for you.

I personally use Logitech G602 mouse to which I've assigned various actions, amongst which are contextual toolbars actions.

I have programed these 6 buttons on the side as follows:
2 for contextual toolbars (one primary, one secondary)
2 for SWS/BR play actions ("perform until shortcut released" versions) to preview things while editing (whole project and active track only)
2 for undo/redo