Old 07-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
Noisy Chairs
Human being with feelings

Default Record Monitoring "How To" Query

I'm trying to monitor a vocal I'm recording through my desk, but have reverbs/delays for the singer on Aux channels in Reaper. The goal is to only hear the vocal through the board, having the verb/delay sent to its own fader on the board, and having just the backing track on a stereo fader on the board. Seems like it should be straightforward. Really getting frustrated here because, during recording, the only way to get signal to the reverb channel within Reaper is by enabling Record Monitoring. But the Record Monitoring is sending signal through to Reaper's main outs, which I don't want. What am I missing? Is there a way to send an input signal to an Aux during record without having to hear that input signal? If I take both the incoming recorded track and the verb out of the master send, the thing I'm wanting to happen works fine. But this has the unfortunate downside that I have to put them back into the master send after every take for playback and then take them back out for another take. Obviously way too clunky. No help on Reddit, please somebody take pity on meeeeeee!!!!
Noisy Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
Noisy Chairs

hopefully, I didn't explain myself too poorly. It's a really specific problem for which Google was no help. But monitoring vocals with plug-in reverb surely must be a thing lots of people do, and there just has to be a simple and straightforward way to do it.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
serr

Don't send that bus to your main output bus then. Only route it to the aux bus you want.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
Noisy Chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Don't send that bus to your main output bus then. Only route it to the aux bus you want.
Which bus to you mean by "that bus"? Are you suggesting that, during the tracking phase, I route playback of the recorded vocal to its own fader? That actually would probably work well, but I'm also not sure if that's what you're saying.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy Chairs View Post
Which bus to you mean by "that bus"? Are you suggesting that, during the tracking phase, I route playback of the recorded vocal to its own fader? That actually would probably work well, but I'm also not sure if that's what you're saying.
Exactly. Maybe do something like make a track and label it "monitor". Route that monitor track to the main output (checking the master send box to do that). We're calling this a 'bus' now. You can mute this during recording. Route anything there that you would only want to hear on playback.

Just an example. And it might not even be a perfect one for your needs. Point is that you can route how you wish and use tracks for subgroups or buses or whatever term you want to call that.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:53 AM   #6
Philbo King

This might help:
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#ia2EvBGsGZM

Jump ahead to 5:14 or so.