Old 03-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
blunderbust
Human being with feelings

Default How to change toolbar menu button size

I am trying to use the Cubic toolbar icons in another theme, say for ex: Commala but it looks like this in Commala:
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1552504451

which is clearly not like it is Cubic for which is how I want it to display in other themes:
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1552504451

The button size is too large on the Commala(or any other theme which I tried) for the Cubic icon size and I need to make the button size the same size that it is on the Cubic for it to display properly. I have looked in the config but see nothing there and googled to find this out but nothing. So, where do I change the parameters to change the button size for the specific theme in order for it to properly display with these icons?
Attached Images
File Type: png Com w Cubic.png (3.5 KB, 433 views)
File Type: png Cubic.png (3.4 KB, 415 views)
blunderbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
emwhy

Use Paint.net it's free and you can import Cubic's buttons and see what their pixel size is, then resize your buttons accordingly.
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
blunderbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwhy View Post
Use Paint.net it's free and you can import Cubic's buttons and see what their pixel size is, then resize your buttons accordingly.
I'm looking for where to tell Reaper what size buttons to create for a given icon. In Cubic the buttons are the right size for the icons but in the other themes like the Commala example you can see the buttons are slightly bigger than the icon. Where does one edit or create this info for Reaper as it's not in the config file that I could see.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
ReaperMadness

In REAPER resource path, find "Data\toolbar_icons"

Icons are in there as png files. Look at the properties of those to discover dimensions in pixels.

Also have a look at this great, free button maker from axel_ef:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=120529

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
blunderbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
In REAPER resource path, find "Data\toolbar_icons"

Icons are in there as png files. Look at the properties of those to discover dimensions in pixels.

Also have a look at this great, free button maker from axel_ef:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=120529
Thanks for the replies so far, however I think I'm not quite getting my query across so I'll try to distill it down some more.

Looking at the 2 screen clips I've shown, you can see that in Cubic the rectangle that defines each button, which contains an icon, is smaller than the rectangle that defines the button in Comalla (or most other themes). The actual icon and it's size is irrelevant to my specific question. I am trying to figure out how to get/instruct Reaper to create the smaller button size that Cubic uses. Maybe a better, similar question is where/how does reaper know what size button rectangle to make? As I said I couldn't find any reference in the config file and don't know where I need to look to instruct reaper to create a smaller button rectangle.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
cubic13

Hi, blunderbust

The issue comes probably from the fact that in the Commala theme, as well as in several other ones, there is a toolbar_blank.png file which sets a kind of size frame for the toolbar icons used in the theme.

My suggestion is to try to rename it differently in the theme you want to use (i.e. _toolbar_blank.png) and see how things go from there.

HTWH...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
blunderbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
Hi, blunderbust

The issue comes probably from the fact that in the Commala theme, as well as in several other ones, there is a toolbar_blank.png file which sets a kind of size frame for the toolbar icons used in the theme.

My suggestion is to try to rename it differently in the theme you want to use (i.e. _toolbar_blank.png) and see how things go from there.

HTWH...
You are absolutely correct cubic13! Thank you so much for that. It works perfectly now.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:13 AM   #8
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
Hi, blunderbust

HTWH...
I tried the same with Jane's theme and:
- it doesn't affect main toolbar
- it works only for some icons in the midi event toolbar

Have you an idea why it doesn't affect all icons?
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
I tried the same with Jane's theme and:
- it doesn't affect main toolbar
- it works only for some icons in the midi event toolbar

Have you an idea why it doesn't affect all icons?
Concerning both the main and midi toolbars, they work as expected here, with each icon displayed with the same width as the one defined in its graphic file, this, for all my themes.

So, beside icons with different sizes, I have no explanation, sorry...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #10
MaXyM

It's how it looks like in Jane's theme, after resizing toolbar_blank.png (see below).
All images are 92x32. Except of black one which has been doubled, with taking care about proper pink lines width (BTW useless for this purpose). Removing pink lines doesn't seem work though.

What is even more strange, Some icons are not being hidden in theme element finder mode. Those ones are not present in the Jane's theme. Anyway, I would expect them being hidden, regardless those are default ones or not.

Thanks in advance for a help.

Last edited by MaXyM; 03-18-2019 at 02:52 PM.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote