Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
xdudex
Human being with feelings

Default ALSA: error opening input device

Hey all,

First off... Linux noob. I installed the latest native version of Reaper.

I'm using a Scarlett 2i2 interface (will also be setting up my Presonus 1818VSL in the near future). My monitors are working, my headphones are working. In JACK I have ALSA chosen as my driver and my input and output devices both show the same "hw:USB Scarlett 2i2 USB (hw:2).

Every time I go to launch Reaper I get the attached error that ALSA can't open the device.

I attempted searching the web as well as this forum for the error, but couldn't find much on this specifically.

I never thought getting Linux up and running would be so tedious, but I'm more than happy to work through all the issues I'm dealing with (still attempting to get plugins installed). Will be reading up further on Ubuntu basics, but really wanting to get back to mixing and tracking ASAP if possible.

Happy to provide any other info you need, just let me know! I appreciate any assistance in advance!

EDIT: It may also help, but I noticed in JACK when I click on Connect, under the ALSA tab it shows only "14:Midi Through", under that,"0:Midi Through Port-0". Also, I also installed QjackCtl so I think I'm using that? I have two JACK icons in my system tray.

EDIT2: In my preferences in Reaper, I have Audio System as ALSA and it does show my input and output devices as: hw:USB ; USB-Audio - Scarlett 2i2 USB

Trying to upload more screenshots, but they don't appear to be uploading?
Attached Images
File Type: png ALSA Error Reaper.png (12.9 KB, 930 views)
File Type: png JACK ALSA Conn.png (25.5 KB, 770 views)
File Type: png Jack Audio Conn.png (38.2 KB, 781 views)

Last edited by xdudex; 08-07-2018 at 01:38 PM.
xdudex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
xdudex

I'm guessing JACK is the culprit. If I remove it entirely, will ALSA still handle everything else? I was under the impression that both were needed.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Garrick

Hi xdudex

You can have jack installed and it's handy to have but as far as I know alsa will only be available if the jack server is not running.

To set up jack on the latest ubuntu, you probably dont need to set up all those connections manually

First make sure your user is in the audio group
Code:
sudo usermod -aG audio <your username>
reboot
open qjackctl and enter setup
choose usb under interface
exit setup
press start
exit qjackctl

that hopefully is all you need to do to have jack available when you need it.
If you don't start the jack server or use it in an app, Alsa should be available (make sure you click the arrow to the right in reaper prefs to show devices)
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
xdudex

Hey Garrick,

Thank you for the reply. Tried your instruction to the T and still get the same error after launching Reaper. Is there something I need to do to specify to use the specific hardware I have plugged in? Wondering if through all my troubles getting everything setup (between gaming, audio production, and work stuff) I installed some packages that are causing this?
Old 08-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
xdudex

EDIT! Okay I Quit JACK.... then launched reaper and now it is loading. Holy shit why didn't I think to try that. I completely misinterpreted your instructions. Apologies! THANK YOU!
Old 08-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
xdudex

Now to figure out plugins
Old 08-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdudex View Post
I'm guessing JACK is the culprit. If I remove it entirely, will ALSA still handle everything else? I was under the impression that both were needed.
When using jack, reaper will be happy using jack midi,
install a2jmidid from your repository, or a linux package site,

and run a command to create a jack midi connection:

a2jmidid -j default

In qjackctl patchbay gui, on the'Connect' there are three tabs,
the middle one is the jack midi tab, reaper should autoconnect if
the above command has been run before starting reaper. A general guide
for jack uses, and much of linux audio is at

http://libremusicproduction.com/arti...g-started-jack

Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:27 AM   #8
xdudex

Thank you for the info. I will definitely check that link out and read up more on JACK. There's so much info on Ubuntu that it's hard to determine where to start learning not to mention not knowing what is and isn't outdated.

So as it is now, I have to Quit JACK entirely for Reaper to even recognize my audio device. To your instructions above it sounds like I would be leaving JACK running, which would prohibit Reaper from seeing my audio device?
Old 08-08-2018, 04:33 AM   #9
khz

qjackctl - Alsa2jack (MIDI)
install:
Code:
a2jmidid
Setup >> Options >> [X] Run script after startup
Code:
sleep 5 && a2jmidid -e &
Setup >> Settings >> Parameters >> MIDI Drivers [none]
Setup >> Miscellaneous >> [ ] ([none]) Provide support for ALSA sequencer

##

ALSA == driver
Jack == route between programs
Jack is not responsible for realtime.
ALSA is realtime as well, but is also not responsible for realtime.

The various audio optimizations are responsible for realtime.

With ALSA you have assigned your sound card driver, you can only assign 1 program ALSA.
Jack's here to route between audio programs.

https://www.learndigitalaudio.com/ho...ows-audio-2017

####
# Further optimizations see signature.
####

Last edited by khz; 08-08-2018 at 04:39 AM.
khz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
xdudex

Thanks, KHZ. I read up more on how audio works in Linux and even watched a couple Youtube videos on it.

I'm still having issues with this though. If I Stop JACK, then open Reaper, it will recognize my audio device. If I attempt to start JACK back up once Reaper is loaded, it fails (as shown in the pasted log below). If Reaper is not open, JACK will start fine. But, then when I go to open Reaper, I'll still get the error - ALSA: error opening input device.

I ensured a2jmidid is installed, added the "sleep 5 && a2jmidid -e &" script to JACK

Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: Starting jack server...
Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: Acquired audio card Audio1
Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: creating alsa driver ... hw:USB|hw:USB|128|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: Using ALSA driver USB-Audio running on card 1 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB at usb-0000:00:14.0-11, high speed
Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: ERROR:
ATTENTION: The playback device "hw:USB" is already in use. Please stop the application using it and run JACK again
Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: Released audio card Audio1
Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: ERROR: Cannot initialize driver
Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: ERROR: JackServer::Open failed with -1
Wed Aug 8 13:58:21 2018: ERROR: Failed to open server
Wed Aug 8 13:58:22 2018: Saving settings to "/home/daniel/.config/jack/conf.xml" ...
13:58:23.484 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock

Also, I did attempt 4duhwinnn's suggestion and when running the a2jmidid -j default command I get this:

daniel@Thoth:~$ sudo a2jmidid -j default
[sudo] password for daniel:
JACK MIDI <-> ALSA sequencer MIDI bridge, version 8 (7383d268c4bfe85df9f10df6351677659211d1ca) built on Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
Copyright 2006,2007 Dmitry S. Baikov
Copyright 2007,2008,2009,2011,2012 Nedko Arnaudov

Bridge starting...
Using JACK server 'default'
Hardware ports will not be exported.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
ERROR: a2j_jack_client_create: Cannot create jack client
ERROR: a2j_start: a2j_new() failed.

[1]+ Stopped sudo sleep 5 && a2jmidid =e
Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
brainwreck

Just to make sure of what you are doing, if you intend to use jack, you should start it before Reaper and make sure that jack is selected in Reaper's audio preferences. If you don't intend to use jack, you should make sure that the jack server is stopped.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
khz

yes @brainwreck

Code:
 ATTENTION: The playback device "hw:USB" is already in use. Please stop the application using it and run JACK again
&

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdudex
daniel@Thoth:~$ sudo a2jmidid -j default
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdudex
Stopped sudo sleep 5 && a2jmidid =e
NEVER AS ROOT (SUDO)!

# "sleep 5" <-- ~ $ man sleep
# sleep - delay a specified time period
Old 08-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Just to make sure of what you are doing, if you intend to use jack, you should start it before Reaper and make sure that jack is selected in Reaper's audio preferences. If you don't intend to use jack, you should make sure that the jack server is stopped.
I'm letting REAPER start Jack with this command in the "Launch Command" box.

/usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:M2496,0 -r48000 -p512 -n2 -Xseq

The -dhw: line would need to be the name your hardware is known by. hw:0 is the default hardware device. The -r, -p, -n switches are for sample rate, buffer size, and number of buffers. -Xseq is for ALSA midi driver.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
Jack Winter

Note that you don't need JACK unless you want to connect reaper to other applications. If you use ALSA as the audio driver then reaper can handle your soundcard and midi devices all by itself.

If you want to use reaper with JACK, then start JACK first and tell reaper to use the JACK device instead.

Note that since they both want access to the same soundcard, they can't both run at the same time...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #15
xdudex

So I changed Reaper to use JACK instead of ALSA... and Reaper crashed. Now it won't launch again. Oh this is fun times. I'm guessing I'm going to need to reinstall Reaper as I don't know how to modify it via command to revert to using ALSA. And I cannot seem to find Reaper via Synaptic. Eesh what have I gotten myself into...
Old 08-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
khz

Your sound card is already in use.
Make sure you have chosen the right one from:
qjackctl > Settings
(have chosen the right sound card).
JACK – A Beginners Guide to Getting Started with JACK >> http://libremusicproduction.com/arti...g-started-jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by khz View Post
Code:
&

NEVER AS ROOT (SUDO)!

# "sleep 5" <-- ~ $ man sleep
# sleep - delay a specified time period
Or take ALSA. This makes it less complicated.

Quote:
So I changed Reaper to use JACK instead of ALSA... and Reaper crashed. Now it won't launch again. Oh this is fun times. I'm guessing I'm going to need to reinstall Reaper as I don't know how to modify it via command to revert to using ALSA. And I cannot seem to find Reaper via Synaptic. Eesh what have I gotten myself into...
You don't need to reinstall Reaper.

# And if
Change to the directory
Code:
bla@bla ~ $ cd blablabla/reaper/reaper_594pre6/REAPER/
start
Code:
bla@bla ~/blablabla/reaper/reaper_594pre6/REAPER $ ./reaper5
or

Change to the directory
Code:
bla@bla ~ $ cd blablabla/reaper/reaper_594pre6/
install
Code:
bla@bla ~/blablabla/reaper/reaper_594pre6 $ sudo install-reaper.sh
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla@bla ~blabla//reaper_594pre6 $ ./install-reaper.sh
REAPER installation script

PLEASE NOTE -- REAPER for Linux is an unsupported experimental version.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
which: no sudo in (/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/7.3.0:/usr/lib/llvm/6/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/opt/bin)
Available commands:
[V]iew readme-linux.txt and REAPER license agreement

[R]un REAPER from /home/daw/Musik/reaper/reaper_594pre6/REAPER/reaper5

You can run REAPER without installing it.
Your ~/.config/REAPER/ directory will be used

[I]nstall REAPER (you will be prompted for various options)

This install script can put the REAPER program into /opt
or ~/opt, or a path of your choice, and optionally set
up desktop integration (menu items, file associations).

[A]dd desktop integration for /home/daw/Musik/reaper/reaper_594pre6/REAPER/reaper5

If you've extracted REAPER into the path you would like
it to live in (/home/daw/Musik/reaper/reaper_594pre6/REAPER), you can set
up desktop integration (menu items, file associations,
etc) via this action.

Command [V,R,I,A]:

Last edited by khz; 08-08-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #17
xdudex

Okay that has cleared things up. Forgive my ignorance, I was still under the impression JACK had to run WITH Reaper. So I don't even need JACK when it comes to listening to tunes through Chrome such as Youtube or Pandora. This is making more sense.

Thank you so much guys. Now to work on getting Reaper loaded... it's still continually crashing on launch since choosing JACK. I really appreciate all your help and the links and info!
Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
Goto the .config/REAPER/ folder of your home user and you can edit, delete, or rename the "reaper.ini" file there, which should let you start REAPER again without reinstalling.

When I was trying different settings with Jack, I found that I needed at least a 512 buffer windows size or REAPER would get hung on initializing, and was trying different hand tweaked settings in that file.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #19
khz

Quote:
So I don't even need JACK when it comes to listening to tunes through Chrome such as Youtube or Pandora. This is making more sense.
Yes. Unfortunately, many web browsers/... nowadays more pulseaudio than jack.
Don't panic! Linux is sometimes complicated.
Already ALSA (the driver): then Jack Soundserver and a Pulseaudio Soundserver... absolutely logical! . ;-)

Last edited by khz; 08-08-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #20
khz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Goto the .config/REAPER/ folder of your home user and you can edit, delete, or rename the "reaper.ini" file there, which should let you start REAPER again without reinstalling.
100 % Yes.
hidden files (e.g. "bla@bla /home/USER/.config/REAPER/ $ ") = personal $USER settings > delete or rename > Tabula Rasa

Last edited by khz; 08-08-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #21
xdudex

Perfect!! That worked flawlessly. Back in Reaper now using ALSA. Phew. You guys rock. Can't thank you enough for the info and help!

Time to get to know Carla and take her on a first date and check out all these new plugins. Need to find some replacements for the Windows based ones all my projects have on them, haha. I'm just bummed a month or so ago I blew $100 on a few good Waves plugins. I guess that $100 just went toward not having to pay for Windowsbunk10, . I saw Jack posted about using Windows based plugins so I'll definitely be checking that out.

Thanks again guys! I'm sure this isn't the last you hear from me on here. :P
Old 08-10-2018, 03:20 AM   #22
Jack Winter

I'm sorry, I really don't understand what you are trying to do and what the problem is! Please some more details.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #23
xdudex

Back again.... so if I want to use Carla, it appears I have to use JACK.

Still having issues. If I choose JACK under Device in Reaper, it still crashes right away.

I have to stop JACK in order to open Reaper. I guess I'm still not understanding things. Or is it possible I have something corrupt or installed incorrectly? I'm almost to the point of reinstalling Ubuntu entirely, but weary because of everything I've already gone through to get to where I am.

I'm at a loss for why Reaper crashes when JACK is running.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:02 AM   #24
eric71

If you are doing everything "in the box" - i.e. not wanting to connect external stand alone synths or other programs to Reaper, you do't need jack at all. And Carla, when you are using it as a vst does not require jack. Don't run jack. Select Alsa in Reaper, and load Carla as a vst. Jack midi is also a pain in the ass compared to Alsa midi (at least with Jack2). Alsa midi just works in Reaper now.
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:22 AM   #25
Jack Winter

Quote:
Yes, no need to use JACK at all unless you want to connect programs to each other.

You could try to run reaper in a terminal and see if there are any error messages when starting it trying to use JACK. Please paste them into a post here, and maybe we can figure out what is wrong.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #26
alextone

Quote:
Back again.... so if I want to use Carla, it appears I have to use JACK.

Still having issues. If I choose JACK under Device in Reaper, it still crashes right away.

I have to stop JACK in order to open Reaper. I guess I'm still not understanding things. Or is it possible I have something corrupt or installed incorrectly? I'm almost to the point of reinstalling Ubuntu entirely, but weary because of everything I've already gone through to get to where I am.

Have you stopped pulseaudio before starting jack?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #27
xdudex

Thanks again guys for all the clarification. Didn't realize I could load Carla as a plugin. Was again under the impression of needing JACK.

I also didn't think to stop Pulse.

I will be using a MIDI controller (that in itself has been another headache haha), but I'm sure I'll be satisfied with a virtual instrument. I don't anticipate myself using an external synth (as of yet). First and foremost is to just get setup in order to record the band, so I think I'm now on the correct path thanks to you fine folks.

Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #28
Jack Winter

I don't think stopping pulse should be necessary if you have auto-suspend pulseaudio selected. In any case I don't think that should trigger a crash?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #29
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
Have you stopped pulseaudio before starting jack?
With this command in REAPER's "Launch Command" box to start Jack,

/usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:M2496,0 -r48000 -p512 -n2 -Xseq

I hear a small pop in my JBL monitors when I launch or close REAPER, but I left the stock Linux audio in Xubuntu alone, so Pulse audio still functions normally.

They seem to co-exist too, as I can fire up REAPER and have a song playing, and at the same time fire up an MP3 and play it through Parole or Winamp.

REAPER is using my M-Audio Delta 2496 cards with Jack, and Linux uses the VIA motherboard audio on my system with Pulse.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #30
Jack Winter

You can also make pulseaudio connect to the jack server when it starts, so that you can output audio from both reaper and pulse on the same jack server. It should also be possible to record in reaper from pulse when you set it up like that.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #31
xdudex

I'm thinking that won't be necessary, for me at least. For band recording purposes, I'll be using the 1818VSL to record 8 mics. From there, I will only need to then use my 2i2 for tracking vocals, possible guitar overdubs, and MIDI tracks. I think per everyone's suggestions above, I should be on track (at least for band recording). The MIDI aspect is still looking to be a PITA. I use an Alesis v25 and the only software I could find for it (to route the drum pads, knobs, etc...) is Python based and only available from GIT and I'm having a difficult time figuring that out. Still researching and learning. If I can't figure it out, I'm sure I'll be creating a new thread.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #32
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
You can also make pulseaudio connect to the jack server when it starts, so that you can output audio from both reaper and pulse on the same jack server. It should also be possible to record in reaper from pulse when you set it up like that.
I think that must be happening with the way I let REAPER start Jack, because the other day I was watching a show on my second monitor using Kodi and another Linux server running MythTV, and I decided to dink around with a music bit I'm working on, and when I fired up REAPER, the TV audio stopped, although the video continued, and after REAPER got Jack fully initialized, the TV audio came back.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #33
xdudex

I eventually would like to be able to do this and use JACK when I want to watch Youtube or a video on my second monitor.

I'm going to look up killing Pulse and see if I'm then able to launch Reaper and use JACK. Will also look into Jack's suggestion of running Reaper in terminal and check for errors.

This thread alone has given me so much insight into how Linux uses audio.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #34
Jack Winter

Here is a good introduction to Linux audio: https://www.learndigitalaudio.com/ho...ows-audio-2017
Old 08-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #35
xdudex

Thanks, Jack!
Old 08-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #36
khz

Just a thought:
Is it recommended to completely uninstall pulseaudio (Audio Distribution)?
Old 08-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #37
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by khz View Post
Just a thought:
Is it recommended to completely uninstall pulseaudio (Audio Distribution)?
While some people choose to do so, I think it is flexible enough that it isn't necessary. As I understand it, it just needs to be turned off while using JACKD, and turned back on when you are done. Alternatively, there are tools that let PulseAudio run side-by-side and work concurrently--either connected to JACK or some other means.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote