Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #41
Judders
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
£16.64 shouldn't be a lot of wonga for this "Perfect Plate" if it lives up to the name.

Picked up the Soundtoys and Arturia plates when they were free though. I tend to use IRs from Reverberate 3 or Valhalla plugins. I tend to like digital plates from other algorithms too. Not chasing ultimate authenticity, just something that sounds nice in the mix. Sometimes the ones that come with virtual instruments get mixed in the blend too.
Like Ree-Yees not sure where to look first!
Liquidsonics'Lustrous Plates is my favourite. The ability to dial in the perfect amount of low frequency dispersion is great. I also like the Waves' Abbey Road plates.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:58 AM   #42
Softsynth

For Windows users this new 64bit freebie this year.
Epic Plate:
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/page/2/
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #43
maxdembo

I really like what I hear in that Produce Like a Pro video.

Installed
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #44
foxAsteria

I've never heard a real plate. I kinda doubt it sounds like Perfect Plate. But I lurv it. EpicVerb is an oldie, but definitely a goodie.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:19 AM   #45
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I've never heard a real plate. I kinda doubt it sounds like Perfect Plate. But I lurv it. EpicVerb is an oldie, but definitely a goodie.
Epicverb RIP. He created a new 64bit version this year. He then quickly canned that and created the brand new Epic Plate.

You can still find his almost brand new 64-bit Epic Verb but on his website it is replaced with brand spanking new Epic Plate.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:36 AM   #46
foxAsteria

Oh, I thought it was just an updated version...def didn't notice that bit. Well my old copy still works for the projects that need it.

Cool he's making new freebies! Aaand it crashed Reaper.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:50 PM   #47
Softsynth

Quote:
Oh, I thought it was just an updated version...def didn't notice that bit. Well my old copy still works for the projects that need it.

Cool he's making new freebies! Aaand it crashed Reaper.
Oh, worked fine here- when I've tried it a few times.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #48
Time Waster

Quote:
Oof, Valhalla's the worst of the bunch...
I really like the Valhalla UI. I hate UI's that try to look like hardware. I want my software to look like software.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:11 AM   #49
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
I really like the Valhalla UI. I hate UI's that try to look like hardware. I want my software to look like software.
Hate is such an overused word. Hate Stalin, Idi Amin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Putin not a GUI!

I like a good skeuomorphic (or semi-skeuomorphic) GUI if it's done really well, if it's at least equal in terms of visual clarity and usability to plain Jane GUIs. Plenty of them are. Actually I think it makes it easier for the brain to work out how to navigate around a GUI that has character features much like a landscape, as opposed to a cluster of bland identical controls.

A hint of skeuomorphic can be nice too. Look up the royal theme for Surge XT, both practical and easy on the eye.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:49 AM   #50
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
It's a common sentiment. OTOH there is the skeuomorphic extreme where hardware limitations are duplicated unecessarily is equally obnoxious and unusable to me.

But as an artist, it's offensive to see devaluation of actual design skills. Even if most folks seem totally unaffected.

Not to belittle your own preference; I just find this current trend epitomized by valhalla et al too much in the opposite direction. There's a balance to be had by they ain't got it. Got my money though, all the same...

Everyone's different I suppose. I like some airwindows stuff but its kept to a minimum by my inability to differentiate them in my memory.

To the degree I come to associate a pleasing interface, workflow and sound, that pretty much determines what I reach for first. valhalla's still 2 for 3 due to sheer simplicity, so they stay in rotation.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:32 PM   #51
Tubeguy

Quote:
oo bad lazy UI design has become so trendy... *sigh*
Yeah it's pretty ugly. Won't do much for inspiration that's for sure.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:10 PM   #52
Judders

Quote:
It's a common sentiment. OTOH there is the skeuomorphic extreme where hardware limitations are duplicated unecessarily is equally obnoxious and unusable to me.

But as an artist, it's offensive to see devaluation of actual design skills. Even if most folks seem totally unaffected.

Not to belittle your own preference; I just find this current trend epitomized by valhalla et al too much in the opposite direction. There's a balance to be had by they ain't got it. Got my money though, all the same...

Everyone's different I suppose. I like some airwindows stuff but its kept to a minimum by my inability to differentiate them in my memory.

To the degree I come to associate a pleasing interface, workflow and sound, that pretty much determines what I reach for first. valhalla's still 2 for 3 due to sheer simplicity, so they stay in rotation.
Airwindows and Valhalla are entirely different. Airwindows plugins have no design.

Valhalla Plate is a bit dull, but I feel Vintage Verb does a great job of evoking the feeling of the 3 modes with a minimum of information.

I'm interested in what you feel would improve Vintage Verb and a GUI that you would hold up as a good example of getting the balance right.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:46 AM   #53
maxdembo

Well, Im having a great time with this plug in. Thanks for the heads up, fox.

UI be damned, its the noises that inspire. Assign the knobs to a controller and the GUI barely gets seen. Resizing plugins is something I've always wanted to do since plugins became a thing, so thats cool too.

The instant reverse reverb is a great option, as are the harmonic settings and the rotary leslie speaker-esque options. Great to have all that in one plugin.

Def a recommended plugin for me.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #54
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Airwindows and Valhalla are entirely different. Airwindows plugins have no design.
Yea, I compare them because valhalla's meh design is only marginally better than no design. In both cases I do like maxdembo and avoid it altogether by mapping hardware controllers.

You're right I should post some examples. I've been thinking about it...

But at least maxdembo's got something out of the thread. I didn't actually come here to bash the UI...The thing sounds really lovely even if they weren't actually trying to 1:1 model a plate reverb sound. I wouldn't know either way, having no experience with a real unit.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-27-2022 at 11:29 AM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:59 AM   #55
maxdembo

Quote:
at least maxdembo's got something out of the thread.
I have indeed, its a fantastic sounding plugin. We are spoiled for choice, but a GUI to me just needs to be functional, not inspiring. Far more has been made with far less, its easy to get bogged down in unhelpful stuff. The work is all that matters. I get it tho, I understand the workflow, ease of use etc.

Anyway, this on my shopping list for next hardware purchase. This will sound amazing thru Perfect Plate.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:34 AM   #56
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Anyway, this on my shopping list for next hardware purchase. This will sound amazing thru Perfect Plate.
Man you really like them tiny gadgets eh? Even farts sound amazing thru Perfect Plate.

My nephew lives some hours away, but I gotta remember to tell my sis to bring the blip box next time. I haven't got to play with it yet...def gonna try it thru Perfect Plate.

One caveat though (besides UI)...have you noticed the insanely high PDC? Had to enable the "ignore plugin delay" PDC option to make it useable live. Still, it's a reverb. No harm in a little obligatory pre-delay.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:27 AM   #57
maxdembo

Gimme me one small backpack and I'll give you a complete battery powered studio
Old 09-28-2022, 05:41 AM   #58
Softsynth

Quote:
One caveat though (besides UI)...have you noticed the insanely high PDC? Had to enable the "ignore plugin delay" PDC option to make it useable live. Still, it's a reverb. No harm in a little obligatory pre-delay.
Yuck.
It had better be the absolute best reverb ever made by miles if that's really the case.

You have put me off even trying it.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #59
maxdembo

Quote:
I hadnt but now I have. Good lord, thats a large number. 2k+
Old 09-28-2022, 11:34 AM   #60
foxAsteria

The BIGGEST!
Old 09-28-2022, 11:40 AM   #61
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
You have put me off even trying it.
Watch the demo vid at least. It's pretty impressive what this thing can do. Idk if it's the best ever, but it's certainly one of the most unique...and sweet spots everywhere.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #62
maxdembo

Quote:
The BIGGEST!
It was until I noticed auto-tune doing a lovely 5k+

I dont actually know what impact this has on anything or what Im supposed to do about it. I shall investigate
Old 09-28-2022, 12:02 PM   #63
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
I dont actually know what impact this has on anything or what Im supposed to do about it. I shall investigate
If you right click the plugin and select Chain PDC > ignore plugin delay the latency will not affect all the other tracks in order to keep synch.

I think this is OK for a reverb send, since it's not critical to be in time with everything else. You just have to calculate the pre-delay considering the already substantial delay. Can always render and line it up later too I guess.

I'm confused as to if/how that works in a single chain, but I'm not usually putting reverb on single tracks anyway.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:26 AM   #64
maxdembo

Quote:
Watch the demo vid at least. It's pretty impressive what this thing can do. Idk if it's the best ever, but it's certainly one of the most unique...and sweet spots everywhere.
It really does sound great.

Quote:
Man you really like them tiny gadgets eh?

/////

I gotta remember to tell my sis to bring the blip box next time. I haven't got to play with it yet...def gonna try it thru Perfect Plate.
Space is limited here, and being mobile is the aim, as well as solar power, and low energy use/rechargable/replaceable batteries, so thats the real reason for the love of this recent trend of being able to do everything in one pedal sized enclosure. Synths that used to be the size of a wall, now in a 5v tiny box powered by USB. Its quite amazing.

Blipbox... Video please
Old 12-17-2022, 01:13 AM   #65
Tubeguy

Crazy as it sounds but from all the plates and IR's that I've tried, I'm using Dead Duck reverb to get a nice plate sound. You just need to find the right setting otherwise it just sounds like an ordinary reverb.