Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 01-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
divedive
Human being with feelings

Default Region Playlist - How to add functionality

I work on a team that would really benefit from adding functionality to SWS Region Playlist.
We need to be able to import and export multiple playlists via a single TXT file (perhaps CSV or TSV).
Our projects involve 100s of region playlists - playlists that we currently have to build by hand. (We concatenate a lot of audio for embedded systems). We would like to automate that process and connect to our other tech.

I've done a fair amount of scripting but no low level coding so I believe this is above my ability level.

From what I understand, SWS is open and people contribute to it quite often. Is this correct? I could pull funds together to hire a software-developer to add this specific functionality to SWS Region Playlist. Is this something that other folks have done? How does that process go? Are there for-hire developers in the community I can get in touch with?

A second optional need, and perhaps a more lofty request, would be to add Region Playlists as an export source in the Render to File menus. (Essentially allowing the user to batch export different arrangements of regions w/o having to use the options in the Region Playlist submenu where you add playlists to your project.) However, as I understand it, this functionality would need to come from Justin and the official Reaper dev team. Is that right?

Thanks!
divedive
divedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
nofish

Yes, SWS is open source and anyone can contribute to it.
This is usually done by submitting pull requests.

https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/pulls

You could of course also submit a feature request in the SWS issue tracker.

https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/issues

Though if a FR gets implemented is always 'luck', depending of if one of the contributors has motivation to work on it (and there are not that many active contributors currently.)

Hiring a dev for implementing a particular SWS feature is something I think didn't happen so far (to my knowledge), but I'd think it's not something out of question in general (given the dev is willing to submit his code under the same license SWS is using.)

Tim ('sws' on the forum) is the current maintainer of SWS extensions, so maybe approach him for further thoughts etc.

https://forum.cockos.com/member.php?u=6434
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by divedive View Post
I could pull funds together to hire a software-developer to add this specific functionality to SWS Region Playlist.
In fact a friend of mine could be interested in that job, as he he konws Reaper technology very well, ad has a lot experience in writing software - among other languages in C, as would be necessary with enhancing SWS. (I could be intersted myself, but I will have not enough spare time until - say - 2020).

I would be inclined to provide some assistance, as I one day might try to become a maintainer for the SWS "LiveConfigs" part (which Tim says he does not know much about).

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
divedive

Thanks everyone. I'll work on documenting what we're needing in greater detail. And reach out to you guys soon.
divedive is offline   Reply With Quote