Old 05-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #81
Guido
Human being with feelings

Default Hows it goin?

Hi all,

Ive been looking for a way to tightly intergrate my d8b hui layer w Reaper and have been searchin all over the net for a hui to MCU emulator that would work....Then I looked at inthepipelines documentation of the Houston {awesome job} AND i think their MIDI spec is the same!HUI duh..PLEASE.....if there is anything i can do to help with this csurfs development {i come from a MIDI backround} let me know....and thank you Deric and everyone else for all your hard work.

Guido

Last edited by Guido; 05-22-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #82
inthepipeline

Location: Bristol, UK. Slowly sinking island next to mainland Europe

Hi Guido,

I doubt that it is exactly the same, but I can get 7 of the faders to work with my Houston with the baby Hui (partial) csurf. You might try this.

Things have gone pretty quiet on this thread recently. I guess we're all concentrating on music for a while. I'm certainly trying to.

It would be nice to know if Deric and Marcus are still alive and kicking....Marcus?...Deric?

*I*
Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #83
Guido

Hi Inthepipeline,

Thx for the response,yes I canget faders,pan,bank,mute,solo and most transport using the HUI [partial} surface in Reaper,but there are a couple of things that make it unusable for me.....
1.No text on my HUI...Track names etc and
2. when I select a track on the control surface it keeps adding to the track selection too easy to make a mistake.

I hear ya on actually PLAYING music. Cya

Guido
Old 06-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #84
Deric

Hehe... yes, still alive

See my earlier post, basically, I'm learning how to implement a few things (learning how to code with a little more understanding of what I'm actually doing) and using the 01X (which I have) to get the stuff working properly.

When this is done I'll have a much better idea on how to do something cool for the Houston with a similar feature set to the next 01X release (FX control, Sends control, everything control).

I appreciate it must be a drag waiting... but I seem to be a lot less smart than I'd previously imagined
Old 06-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #85
norbury brook

Hi Guys,

I'm alive not sure about the kicking

I'm mid cd project at the moment,then I'm going to Australia next week for 3 weeks on tour with a band so I'll be Reapering on my laptop when possible.

Deric I wish I could help you in some way but my eyes glaze over at HTML so that's my level I'm looking forward though saving the HOuston from EBAy which is where it was heading untill your timely first post!

Marcus
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #86
inthepipeline

Good to hear from you both.

I'm glad that you are both still actively interested in doing the whole thing. I do appreciate that it is very complicated. I've spent a little more time recently just trying to remember some of the basic 'c' stuff. I can at least now identify which blocks of code do what. Why is a much bigger question! I failed miserably when I last tried to learn, so I'm very aware of the complexity of this.

Deric,

A request..

I was wondering whether you might be able to PM me a framework.h to play with. Something with which I could quite easily achieve basic fader and button functionality a-la Hui, perhaps demonstrating in practice how to code for one illuminated Houston button, with annotation explaining which code does what?

I can make no promises, but at least then I might stand a chance of getting some useful mapping done and maybe obtaining complete, but basic functionality. I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to get the display doing anything useful, but knobs and buttons would be a good start.

I've been unable to pursue this as I would have liked because the machine I've been working on is using DuX's pre5503 XP release. There were a few bits missing which MSVC++ needs. I'm going to upgrade to XP3AOFinal in the next few days, so I should be able to run the compiler/linker. Then I can start playing around in earnest.

Also, have you made the 01X csurf.h available to view?

*I*
Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #87
Guido

[QUOTE=Deric;191307]Hehe... yes, still alive

When this is done I'll have a much better idea on how to do something cool for the Houston with a similar feature set to the next 01X release (FX control, Sends control, everything control).

".......this is so freakin cool!" he said rubbing his hands together briskly!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #88
Deric

Ian,

Honestly I simply don't yet know enough to be able to attempt a worthwhile tutorial on this stuff, unlike you I still haven't figured out "what all the blocks are doing".

My 01X code (csurf_01x.cpp) is in the SDK now - along with all the other control surface .cpp files. It's reasonably documented as to what is doing what etc.

I went as far as I felt I could with the 'current' 01X release, I then realised that I had to learn more of the basics of C++ programming before being able to attempt 'the next stage'. I know that once I am comfortable with this next stage that I'll be able to apply that understanding to any other control surface.

'Hacking-and-hoping' quickly becomes tiring after a few weeks - it gets to the stage where you know that you simply don't know enough and then have to find out what you need to know next.

If you want to have a try I'd suggest messing about with the .cpp of the control surface emulation you are currently using - that's what I did when I started this - I looked at the mcu cpp and started modifying bits of it and just continued from there.

To get an LED to illuminate you'll need something like this:

Code:
if (m_midiout) m_midiout->Send(0x90, 0x64,0x7f,-1);
What this does (I think!) is check if access is available to the MIDI Out port, and if it is, it transfers the following message to the MIDI Output utility:

90 64 7F

This is a 'Note On' message for note '64' - in Hexadecimal (you know it's Hex because the number is expressed '0xnn' in the command. (This is therefore note '100' in decimal - but that probably won't matter - as you'll determine the value with, say, MIDI-OX which will display it in Hex anyway...).

I think '90' specifies that the message is a 'Note On/Off' type of message, the 'middle' value (in the above case '64') specifies the 'note/pitch', and the last value (7F) specifies velocity.

Ordinarily a velocity of 00 will turn an LED off, whilst 7F turns it on. However, some LEDS have multiple states/colours and require a velocity value other than 7F to trigger the LED in that colour (and if you find out how to determine this without a load of very boring, time consuming, incrementing a value, re-compiling, transferring the newly compiled .dll to REAPER, starting REAPER, and then seeing if the LED has changed colour - before doing it all over again, for every value, please let me know!).

Of the stuff I've looked at so far it seems to be that LEDs 'generally' have the same address (note on/off (middle number) number) as the button they are related to. So, if your button thows out 'code x' when you press it, then sending 'code-x' back to the unit will trigger that button's LED.

If I already had the knowledge to the complete what I am trying to do - I would be able to get a Houston map out (or, pretty much, any other CS map) within a few hours - this is not yet the case, which is why 01X V2 is not out yet, and also why I say I don't have enough understanding to be able to supply you with a suitable 'framework'.

What I don't want to do is 'do a little bit of a lot of things'... I want to do this so that it is as useful as it can currently be (given what is achievable with the current Cockos SDK) and whilst it would seem tempting to start getting 'skeletons' together for other control surface types, in reality is is just distracting time away from actually understanding what I need to know to understand how to use the SDK properly.

I will say that there is (at least in my case) a significant difference between modifying bits of code to do something different/access a different address/run a different command, and actually knowing what one's doing, with enough understanding, to get the code to do whatever one wants it to do - within its given limitations.

Having said (all of) that - you can get very far just by hacking existing code with very little actual understanding (as I did previously with the 01X), so if you want to - just do as advised above and start looking at the .cpp that your surface currently works best with.

I hope this is of some help

Deric.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #89
shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
...Ordinarily a velocity of 00 will turn an LED off, whilst 7F turns it on. However, some LEDS have multiple states/colours and require a velocity value other than 7F to trigger the LED in that colour...
Deric, there should be a 'Midi Implementation Sheet' for your CS where all these messages are explained (maybe as part of the user doku?), can't you get hands on one of those?

not that i know anything about a houston...
shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #90
Deric

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman View Post
Deric, there should be a 'Midi Implementation Sheet' for your CS where all these messages are explained (maybe as part of the user doku?), can't you get hands on one of those?

not that i know anything about a houston...
If only it were that easy (for the 01X, at least) - YAMAHA do not include any of this information and, despite repeated requests, have so far completely unwilling to even just supply the screen addressing info for the unit - let alone how each of the controls are mapped.

What I've had to do is use MIDI Yoke and MIDI-OX, and then spend A LOT of time p*ssing about getting the info, and then writing it all down etc.

For sure some manufacturers are MUCH more helpful than YAMAHA and print this stuff in their manuals etc, or provide it on request.

To date YAMAHA and MACKIE have been errr... less than helpful...
Old 06-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #91
shaman

Quote:
YAMAHA do not include any of this information and, despite repeated requests, have so far completely unwilling to even just supply the screen addressing info for the unit - let alone how each of the controls are mapped.
uh, did'nt know that. Great work then!
shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #92
kerryg

Quote:
If only it were that easy (for the 01X, at least) - YAMAHA do not include any of this information and, despite repeated requests, have so far completely unwilling to even just supply the screen addressing info for the unit - let alone how each of the controls are mapped... For sure some manufacturers are MUCH more helpful than YAMAHA and print this stuff in their manuals etc, or provide it on request...To date YAMAHA and MACKIE have been errr... less than helpful...
"We don't want to give you that information because although we almost certainly won't ever write an app that makes use of it later - hey, maybe pigs will fly and we will write one - and if there's a tenth of a percent chance we could lose revenue to your then-competing app if we do, the accounting department will make my manager mount my **** on a plaque ..."?
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #93
inthepipeline

Perhaps cynical.....but true

Well then, in the meanwhile I'll just fiddle about trying, not that Fiddle is one of my instruments. It's all going to take some time in any case.

*I*
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #94
norbury brook

Hi guys,

Greetings from a slightly chilly Australia (melbourne) just wondered how things were progressing on this front?

Marcus
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #95
inthepipeline

Well.....

From me, not a lot.
There's not really much that I can do beyond what I have already done, bar learning C++. I simply can't afford the time. I'm doing lots of music work now. It's live engineering season after all.

Hope you are enjoying Ausiland

*I*
Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #96
mkjekyll

Default Houston on Reaper

These posts seem a bit old so maybe the idea of getting a Houston surface to work in Reaper has gone by the wayside.

I noticed some of the people here had documented some pretty good midi mapping of how the Houston works. I do not know how this can be integrated into the plug in SDK but if there is a way to integrate what has been provided here to get a Houston somewhat working for a non-programmer I would like to know the ins and outs.

Better yet if there is some file repository where others can try what you guys have built so far please point me to it.

Thanks,

Mick
mkjekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #97
inthepipeline

Hi mjkelly2,

I feel the same way!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20184&page=2

This explains in detail exactly which midi message is output from the Houston for every function button, fader and of course the jog/shuttle wheel. It also decribes the input expected for the Houston to illuminate its buttons, move the faders and how to program the display to display ASCI II charcters.

Hope you have fun!

*I*

Last edited by inthepipeline; 04-09-2009 at 05:23 AM.
inthepipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:44 AM   #98
strinxx

Hi everybody!

Yes, I am one of those Steini-frustrated Houston-users, too.
Last week, while searching for some Help/ Documentation for the Houston, I read about you guys here and what you began to do...

This is just great!

I've read about Reaper before in the Cubase-Forum, quite a while ago now.
But I never seriously considered to give it a chance...
After I read this thread here, I downloaded this little piece of software and gave it a try.
I was really so blown away about what a few Megabytes actually are able to do!
So cool!

I can only encourage you guys, not to give up to somehow integrate the Houston into Reaper.
In Cubase, I'm actually quite happy with it's functionality now, although they never really finished Houston's implementation into Cubendo.

And I'm really not happy with steinberg's update-politics and never-ending-bug-stories... and total unawareness of their customers needs.
If there is a chance to give Houston its full capabilities - what Steinberg never did - then I defenitely would switch over to Reaper! As fast as possible!

Unfortunately I'm also not a programmer, just a guitarist and composer...so sorry.

I wrote you, not just to bring up this thread again, but also to hopefully encourage some of the Reaper-programmers, too.
I think there are many of those Houston-owners who actually like their remote, tired of being ignored by Steinberg and looking for a new alternative to work with.

In desperate hope ;o)
Mike
strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #99
Geoff Waddington

Hang on... help is on the way.

I am currently starting an open source project to support MIDI based control surfaces.

It will be generalized and will accept external config files for the various surfaces.

That said the support may be fairly basic at first -- transport, faders, mute, solo, record, that sort of thing, but it will improve over time.

Unlike some I am fairly rigourous in my approach.

The steps I take are:
Requirements gathering
UML Analysis
Design
Implementation

So don't expect something tomorrow.

I know the next question "When then?"

I'm guessing early 3rd quarter (September sometime).
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #100
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Hang on... help is on the way.

I am currently starting an open source project to support MIDI based control surfaces.

It will be generalized and will accept external config files for the various surfaces.

That said the support may be fairly basic at first -- transport, faders, mute, solo, record, that sort of thing, but it will improve over time.

Unlike some I am fairly rigourous in my approach.

The steps I take are:
Requirements gathering
UML Analysis
Design
Implementation

So don't expect something tomorrow.

I know the next question "When then?"

I'm guessing early 3rd quarter (September sometime).
wow! something like Cubase's generic surface? Excellent! Is there a dedicated thread that describes your ideas? I am also toying around with C++ trying to turn my VS2480 into a surface (actually Xenakios provided all the code uptill now, i am taking it over) so i do have a vested intrest in this !

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:21 AM   #101
strinxx

Hey Geoff,

this is so good news!
Can't actually wait to see this coming, but... take your time!
I don't want to bother you ;o)

Thank you so much in advance for your help and work! And of course to inthepipeline and Deric for what they have done already!
This is so cool!

Mike
strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote