Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default How the hell do you install plugins?

How the hell can you put VSTs on mac Catalina? Specifically we tried the 4front.

Going to privacy and security, the thing just lets you click the box but still doesnt do anything. I also tried the path statement in the article below and substituted the real path but it still doesn't work. What do I do?

https://www.osirisguitar.com/how-to-...acos-catalina/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:00 AM   #2
Futur8me
Human being with feelings

Hi.., they have to be 64bit.., and i just right click on the vst installer and use the open option.., it then installs for me.

Have you tired that also?.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:19 AM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I don’t think there’s an installer on this plugin, it’s one of the ones you place in the folder yourself.

Apparently there may not be a way to easily install unsigned plugins on Catalina from what I’m reading sadly
Old 07-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
Futur8me

Then just drag and drop it into the vst folder.

I have had no issues at all with Catalina, unsigned stuff still works for me in Catalina.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
Then just drag and drop it into the vst folder.

I have had no issues at all with Catalina, unsigned stuff still works for me in Catalina.

That's what we did, then it gives you the security error with no option to open anyway. Looks like this is going to be a problem for mac users from now on with many free, unsigned plugins. This really sucks
Old 07-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #6
Futur8me

Very strange.., I wonder why I have no problems with Catalina then..?.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #7
superblonde.org

Quote:
i just right click on the vst installer and use the open option.., it then installs for me.

That is why it works for you. Because you are using an installer app to install the VST and you manually "allow unsigned installer app to run". For libraries without an installer app, that is where the need for using a manually-typed Terminal command comes into play, because "you are the installer 'app' ".
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Put the dynlib into the UserPlugins folder should work.
Or in UserPlugins/FX but it's some time ago I have done that on Mac, so I might be wrong.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
superblonde.org

No, that does not work on Catalina, you have to do a manual step.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:21 PM   #10
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Hmm.. Catalina is too often a problem these days.
I think I should install Catalina and run some tests to see, what could be done or why it's impossible, including the VST-problem.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #11
superblonde.org

It's not "impossible." It simply requires either an installer app, or a one-line command after manually copying a library.

There's no need to over-inflate the workaround to the plugin developer's own limitation.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:18 PM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Don't blame the developers for making free plugins to benefit the world
Old 07-31-2020, 10:05 PM   #13
Futur8me

I regularly try free and demo VSTs and some of them have no installers, I just drag n drop those ones into the VST or VST3 folder and they work for me on Catalina.

So I wonder why it just works for me then..?.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:56 PM   #14
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
I regularly try free and demo VSTs and some of them have no installers, I just drag n drop those ones into the VST or VST3 folder and they work for me on Catalina.

So I wonder why it just works for me then..?.

You are lucky, not sure, but there are thousands not so lucky and it is explicitly stated by apple that that will not be the case by design soon enough

Can you screencapture dropping in the 4front piano? (assuming you haven't whitelisted it in terminal already)
Old 08-01-2020, 05:36 AM   #15
Futur8me

Post the link to this 4front VST and I will download it and install it on my iMac once I get home.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:56 AM   #16
superblonde.org

Plugin developers who don't bundle their plugins with installers (hence forcing the manual process of copying the library onto the user, and now forcing the user to type a command to allow it to run) could also band together to create a packaging system for submitting their plugins. That's what developers do in other areas. So then users can easily find new plugins and install them without needing to go to some random-sketchy-looking or hard-to-find website. When I release a library I could put it on my website but I don't because it would be some sketchy, hard-to-find piece of software floating randomly on the internet; instead, I upload it to a plugin packaging site which does everything for the user. Linux "rpm", or "apt-get", or python "pip", or perl "cpan", or macOs "brew", and so many others, are all packaging systems for tiny libraries people have written and want to make easily available to users through a legitimate "safe" installer system. I wouldn't even know 4front piano existed if not for this thread here, because it isn't part of a larger installer system, and I don't install random libraries from sketchy-looking blogs.

So, if anyone is itching to solve the plugin problem for developers who don't have extra time to bundle their plugin with their own installer, then perhaps create a free plugin installer system, where many developers all around can easily upload their plugins and have users find them and install them.

If there's anything to complain about, it's why we're living in the year 2020 yet users are forced to manually copy a DLL which has to have administrative rights into a OS system directory, in order to get an audio plugin. It's not 1989 anymore!
Old 08-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #17
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Post the link to this 4front VST and I will download it and install it on my iMac once I get home.

http://www.yohng.com/software/piano.html
Old 08-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #18
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
So, if anyone is itching to solve the plugin problem for developers who don't have extra time to bundle their plugin with their own installer, then perhaps create a free plugin installer system, where many developers all around can easily upload their plugins and have users find them and install them.
This still won't work without paying the extortion. We had this problem for our plugs even though we registered everything apple asked us to. Until we paid the Danegeld, the issues are still there in catalina
Old 08-02-2020, 03:31 AM   #19
Futur8me

Ok I downloaded the OS X file, it is a .component, I then dragged n dropped into the AU component folder, it does not work.., I then renamed it .VST and put into VST folder.., and it works, it is a very nice sounding piano))).

Edit - Try this if you are still having problems..> https://www.istartips.com/disable-gatekeeper.html

Last edited by Futur8me; 08-02-2020 at 03:38 AM.
Futur8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:38 AM   #20
cyrano

Isn't the Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/ path the place for component files?

Or has that been deprecated in Catalina?
Old 08-02-2020, 05:33 AM   #21
Futur8me

Audio units still go into the Components folder in Catalina.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #22
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Ok I downloaded the OS X file, it is a .component, I then dragged n dropped into the AU component folder, it does not work.., I then renamed it .VST and put into VST folder.., and it works, it is a very nice sounding piano))).

Edit - Try this if you are still having problems..> https://www.istartips.com/disable-gatekeeper.html

Weird, so the AU works if you rename it to a VST but the VST wont work? I'll try it on some of the student's computers.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #23
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Weird, so the AU works if you rename it to a VST but the VST wont work? I'll try it on some of the student's computers.

The OS X download is a .component not a .vst

The text file that comes with it explains that you change the .component file to .vst to work as vst.

The .component AU did not work at all for me in Reaper or Logic, but when I renamed it to .vst Reaper recognised it as a vst and it works I can use it.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #24
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
The OS X download is a .component not a .vst

The text file that comes with it explains that you change the .component file to .vst to work as vst.

The .component AU did not work at all for me in Reaper or Logic, but when I renamed it to .vst Reaper recognised it as a vst and it works I can use it.

That's what we did, exactly as described in the text file and it would not allow it as it was not from a trusted developer.

Could you unwhitelist it and video you getting this to work the way you described?

To clarify, what you have described is contrary to the problem so many OSX users who were, prior to catalina, able to install this, are having when they try this
Old 08-03-2020, 01:21 AM   #25
Futur8me

There is nothing magical to this.., just download it then drag it into the components folder, if the AU does not work or show up in Reaper or Logic like it did not work for me then rename the .component to .vst

Then drag it into the vst folder.., Reaper then recognises it and it works perfect for me.

Did you see the link i posted in an earlier post?.. here it is again..>> https://www.istartips.com/disable-gatekeeper.html

Scroll down the page to option one where it explains the ‘sudo spctl –master-disable‘

Old 08-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #26
pipelineaudio
Mortal

That just isn't working for most people. Still says it cannot be opened and the option to open anyway is grayed out or clicking does nothing, as stated in the link here:

I did see the option with the terminal commands. I'm hoping not to have to go there as most of the parents and kids really have no business messing around in terminal

The fact that you are able to do it in catalina without messing with terminal is perplexing! There are many long time DAW experts and OSX users who cannot do this with the same plugin. Is there a possibility you had some security features turned off?
Old 08-04-2020, 02:25 AM   #27
Futur8me

Quote:
That just isn't working for most people. Still says it cannot be opened and the option to open anyway is grayed out or clicking does nothing, as stated in the link here:

I did see the option with the terminal commands. I'm hoping not to have to go there as most of the parents and kids really have no business messing around in terminal

The fact that you are able to do it in catalina without messing with terminal is perplexing! There are many long time DAW experts and OSX users who cannot do this with the same plugin. Is there a possibility you had some security features turned off?
I honestly do not know what else to say.., could it be the T2 chip???, my 2015 iMac does not have one.., everything works great for me.

I guess you either use the terminal and turn off the certain security settings in catalina to use those plugins or just face the facts and accept you can't and start using the payed and signed for catalina software.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #28
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
I honestly do not know what else to say.., could it be the T2 chip???, my 2015 iMac does not have one.., everything works great for me.
Ahh! Maybe good catch! Let me have a look
Old 08-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #29
toleolu

You on a Mac now Pipeline?
Old 08-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #30
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Hell no, those things are nightmares! But so many of our students are. I'm really cringing for the people who do all these tutorials, they maybe can cut them up and reupload, but they lose all their view count and all that. What a PITA
Old 08-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #31
toleolu

Quote:
Hell no, those things are nightmares!
Nice to see even after all this Covid stuff, some things never change.

Things going OK at the studio?
Old 08-04-2020, 10:38 PM   #32
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Pretty good so far. The software company is doing good, and because we were making masks so early on this its helping to keep the school open. We've been bringing in hypochlorous acid foggers and other things to help the doctors and dentists stay open