Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-02-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
Wizzart
Human being with feelings

Default Nabla Looper | Hands-Free and Pedal-Style Looper for REAPER

Hey everyone, I just released a set of looping tools for REAPER. This collection of scripts enables two live looping setups:

Arranged Mode (Hands-Free, Pre-Programmed, ALK2 style):

Manual Mode (Pedal-Style):

Get started with Arranged Mode
What can you do with Arranged Mode?
The Arranged Mode is designed to create live looping sessions and perform completely hands-free, that is, without the use of external triggers to start/stop a loop recording section, although it can also be a useful tool to speed up the loop-based music production.

The concept is quite simple, the Audio or MIDI recorded in a “Record Item” named “Loop 1”, will be propagated to all the “Playback Items” named “Loop 1” any where in the project (it can be any other name).

Each “Playback Item” can have specific properties and settings, such as volume, pan or pitch automations, reverse mode, as well as specific effect chains, additionally, being able to create automations of effects and parameters of each track. In this way, it is possible to create more complex sessions than in a traditional looping system.

Creating an arrangement:
- Item Types
- Item Creation
- Organizing Tracks
- Running Nabla Looper
- Takes System
- Clear items
- Practice mode

Installation and a brief explanation of how Nabla Looper works:

Nabla Looper is under development, try out these tools and give us your feedback, we can make it become a more stable and useful loop system for all community.

~ Esteban ~

Last edited by Wizzart; 10-22-2020 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Updated to version 0.2
Wizzart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
TonE

Looks good, which action you were using in the action marker? I like in your concept the marker is shifted as well, so a single action marker is enough, cool idea.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
Wizzart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
which action you were using in the action marker?
I call multiple scripts in the action marker, one of them moves the mark to the next position. But I don't use action marker anymore, I recoded all the system for work with defer functions, this way you can create your own "action-something" system, so you can trigger one function at item start-end, measure, beat, midi note, etc, there are countless options.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
TonE

So you have no precise action names?

Not sure for what defer-functions are good for, in general.

This is what I tried some time ago with action markers.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....92#post2279192
Old 05-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #5
Wizzart

Quote:
So you have no precise action names?

Not sure for what defer-functions are good for, in general.

This is what I tried some time ago with action markers.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....92#post2279192
Basically, I make my own actions according to my needs, sometimes I use "native" or SWS actions, but whit the ReaScript API you can do a lot of personalized things, for example, to move the action marker to the next measure and repeat the process I do something like this:

Code:
local actionName = "_RSdf5ce5ae071fb6a201f510718e3357941438f1e8" -- command ID of this script, find it in the action menu.
local retval, num_markers, num_regions = reaper.CountProjectMarkers( 0 )
if num_markers == 0 then -- If there are no markers then create one
	reaper.AddProjectMarker( 0, false, 0.1, 0, "!"..actionName, 0 ) 
else
	local pPos = reaper.GetPlayPosition() -- Get the actual play position
	local retval, measures, cml, fullbeats, cdenom = reaper.TimeMap2_timeToBeats( 0, pPos ) -- Get the acutal measure
	local time = reaper.TimeMap2_beatsToTime(0, 0, measures+1) -- Convert the actual measure plus one to time
	reaper.SetProjectMarker( 0, false, time, 0, "!"..actionName, -1 ) -- Move marker to next position
end
Then, every time the action marker runs, will move it to the next bar, preserving the same name action(s).
With another script you can add or change the actions names (command ID's) that will be performed at the next action marker.

Last edited by Wizzart; 05-02-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
TonE

Thanks for sharing your idea, yes, simple idea with action name above, then just moving itself to the future, in this case next measure.

Where is the defer function here?
Old 05-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
Wizzart

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your idea, yes, simple idea with action name above, then just moving itself to the future, in this case next measure.

Where is the defer function here?
There is no defer involved that way, similar aproach with reaper.defer() or reaper.runloop() it would be like this:
Code:
-- Do something every measure while project is playing.
-- Wizzart 3nd of May 2020
-- licensed under MIT-license

function next_measure_defer()
	local playPos = reaper.GetPlayPosition() -- Get actual play position
	local playState = reaper.GetPlayState() -- Get actual play state
	local dDelta = 0.03 -- Tune this for adjust the precision of the trigger
	if playState==1 then  -- Runs only if the project is playing
		local retval, measure, cml, fullbeats, cdenom = reaper.TimeMap2_timeToBeats( 0, playPos ) -- Get the actual measure
		local retval, nextMeasure, cml, fullbeats, cdenom = reaper.TimeMap2_timeToBeats( 0, playPos+dDelta ) -- Get the next measure by slightly ahead the play position
		if measure ~= nextMeasure then 
			reaper.ShowConsoleMsg("Do something here\n")
		end
	end
	reaper.defer(next_measure_defer)
end

next_measure_defer()
This is the basic concept, you can adjust to everything you want.

Last edited by Wizzart; 05-03-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
TonE

Thanks for sharing also this technique.

Have you a few interesting ideas for: "Do something here"

Here a few of mine:
1. check items color per track, if red, start recording
2. check items color per track, if not red, stop recording

One needs to get used to these new concepts or possibilities first.

What is worth triggering in a repeated fashion?
Hmm, usually, start/stop recording, used already above. Maybe muting/unmuting stuff, in certain tracks, in a randomized fashion, something like: unmute all tracks in group, then mute randomly chosen single track. Doing this for all measures, could bring some nice variation.

But I would like to know which action you used in JUST THE TWO OF US video, but did not write it here?

Last edited by TonE; 05-04-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
Wizzart

Quote:
Have you a few interesting ideas for: "Do something here"

Here a few of mine:
1. check items color per track, if red, start recording
2. check items color per track, if not red, stop recording
That is just what I'm doing in the Arranged Live Looper, more or less, when the recording of the item ends, this new file propagate to all the same named items in the project, (or track, according to the configuration). A lot of other functions involved in the process, but that's main the idea.

Quote:
But I would like to know which action you used in JUST THE TWO OF US video, but did not write it here?
Well, this a more complex system, there are functions for:
  • Repeat items if the play cursor exceeds the defined threshold
  • Start-stop recording on certain tracks
  • Detect if the track is for looping or normal recording
  • Defer function waiting for hotkeys (Single, Double or Long press, each trigger a different action, for simulate the operation of a looper pedalboard)
I think those are the main ones, and each of those has other child actions...

If you want to experiment with these concepts and have any questions, feel free to ask me and I will try to help.

(Maybe this thread should be in the developer forum?)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #10
beingmf

Killer!!
Will you release a somehow final version of the scripts (with some documentation) or would I be able to use them as is? This is really amazing, man!
Old 05-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
Ampa

Looks fantastic.

Very interested in how this develops.
Ampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #12
mehmethan

This is great.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #13
strinxx

Nice!
strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #14
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzart View Post
Well, this a more complex system, there are functions for:
  • Repeat items if the play cursor exceeds the defined threshold
  • Start-stop recording on certain tracks
  • Detect if the track is for looping or normal recording
  • Defer function waiting for hotkeys (Single, Double or Long press, each trigger a different action, for simulate the operation of a looper pedalboard)
I think those are the main ones, and each of those has other child actions...

If you want to experiment with these concepts and have any questions, feel free to ask me and I will try to help.
You bring very original new ideas to Reaper world, fantastic my friend, I guess the entire Reaper community will play with those fresh new ideas and possibilities in future, bringing a new flood of actionmania using those concepts. The simpler the main concepts the better, and you designed really very simple, thus very powerful and universally usable techniques. Wonderful, thanks for sharing them here! Great having another original thinker in this forum. One original brain, improving usability for entire community. Respects!

This is also something like playtime, only better.

Another interesting concept could be: Designing/recording a few regions in your arrange first, before starting live looping like you do above, then starting recording as you do, but at any point in time, switching jumping to one of those prepared loops, then those loops would be added to the end of arrange, then recording new stuff there, then a bit later, jumping to another prepared loop, adding/recording on top of that and so on. In short exactly what you did, but additionally having some prepared loops you might switch into. Maybe you tried this as well already.

Any original ideas are welcome here, the more practical, the better.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #15
mehmethan

Hi Wizzart,
Do you have a plan to share your workflow/scripts with reaper community?
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #16
grandfougue

Bravo
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #17
Wizzart

@TonE
Yes, all that is possible! (and thank you for your kind words). For now, I've been working to improve script performance, actually, beta testing will start next week.

@beingmf
I hope to release the first stable version in early July, with all the necessary documentation.

@ Ampa
I think I will open a thread in the developer forum to treat things related to the script development, I will be very happy to share with the community some of what I have learned in this process.

The main idea of Nabla Looper is to create an environment that is completely integrated into reaper, easy to install and use, if you know the basic concepts to work with Reaper (insert a track, choose audio or midi input, insert fx's, create an item) then you can start playing with Nabla Looper. Of course, for more experienced users the possibilities become endless, thanks to the power of Reaper to let you create your own workflow.

Stay tuned for updates!
Old 07-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #18
Wizzart

Hi! I just released the first version of these tools, I hope you can try it!

~Esteban ~
Old 07-09-2020, 02:12 AM   #19
Quadcore

Amazing, same vision here, thanks for sharing !
Quadcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:48 AM   #20
beingmf

Wow, can't wait to try it! Thanks so much!!!
Old 07-10-2020, 04:14 AM   #21
vitalker

It is AMAZING!
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #22
AntonioEc

Cool. Very good toy. I played with loopers sins the first Boss RC. This script is probably the most advanced looper in the market. Audio and midi, unlimited tracks and time, we can use a drum machine with it or any vst.

Maybe Ableton Live can be compared, but the price ...
AntonioEc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #23
jcgurango

This looks incredible! I kinda put my looper on the backburner and forgot to pick it up again so I can't wait to try this!

Last edited by jcgurango; 08-10-2020 at 10:06 AM.
jcgurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #24
Dave 2099

Hello Esteban,

Thanks for giving us such a great tool! I've tried both modes and they both seem to work quite well. I am having one problem that I hope you can help me with. I want to use my midi controller to trigger recording in manual mode, but I can't make it work. The trigger works with the keyboard shortcut, and I can use my midi controller to initiate the manual mode, but not to trigger the recording. Do you have any ideas about what may be going on?

cheers,
Dave
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #25
TonE

Dear Esteban, your latest installation video is a master work. Very detailed, step by step guide, also for non-experts. Thanks for that! Showing again how genius you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVPp9w-0wjA

In short this seems to be an Ableton Live killer or Playtime killer one could say. Especially if we imagine what else could be built on top of those new possibilities having this arsenal of genius script developers for Reaper. saike brought tracker workflow to Reaper world, you bring looper workflow to Reaper. Wonderful. Thanks my friend. Let us wait now when Kenny Goia video will appear with these new possibilities. Greetings also to him of course.

What is missing to be a full Ableton Live session view killer is what I mentioned above, possibility to switch into prepared loops and continuing with them at the end of arrange. I can imagine two very practical scenarios:
1. using 1-bar loops
2. using 4-bar loops
n. using n-bar loops

It could be depending on regions. Or depending on selected items length for example, no matter if there is any region or not. I am thinking mainly backwards from hackey trackey workflow, there usually I am designing just a 1 bar pattern/item. So those would be my prepared items. You can duplicate, change, duplicate, change, creating 20 items for example. Then continuing with your tool. Best of both worlds. Writing all here just not to forget them. In case those are interesting also for other Reaper lovers. Yes we are not Reaper users but Reaper lovers.

Last edited by TonE; 09-22-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #26
Dave 2099

TonE, I am reflecting on your comments about regions. You commented on my earlier post about my live looping setup (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=222094) and I think there is some connection because my setup is based on regions.

My rec/bump custom action lets you record an item, and with another click, move the item to a new track and create a looping region. You can continue working with this region, adding different parts or whatever. Then you can duplicate that region and add new parts. I created the rec/bump as a way of capturing an idea that would serve as the basis for a new section of a song. It requires that the track used for recording be set to recording output (unless the FX are not important). It is a bit rough because you may have to manually intervene in the arrangement view, but once you have a region set up based on an original idea, hopefully it becomes easier. You can also map out a time selection and/or region and work within that, though I have some bugs to work out with this approach.

Once you have some song parts mapped out as regions, you can bounce back and forth with go to next/previous region with smooth seeking.

Hopefully there is some synergy with Esteban's Nabla functions, which are spectacular in their ease of use.

(I am contemplating a how-to video based on your earlier comment to my post. I will work on this very soon.)

Also wanted to add, thanks Esteban for the great video about how to install and use Nabla. This was very helpful.

Last edited by Dave 2099; 09-23-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: forgot to add...
Old 09-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #27
TonE

Dear Dave, thanks for connecting your other post here as well, having good ideas connected is always useful, if not now immediately, for sure in long term, until some other genius decides to do something about it.

Now, just wanted to share the idea, how genius Nabla Looper is, if you imagine, each setup you can save as track template or project template, thanks to Reaper's powerful design.

Now imagine how cool is that? Take some template, record 10 times. Take another template, record 10 times. If this is not cool, I do not know what is. Thanks to all who made this possible. Now all can spend their time doing the real thing, practicing instruments, playing, having fun while recording.

Ah, regarding connecting, wayback has to be connected here as well, I guess.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233734
Nabla Looper + wayback = secret Reaper looping weapon

Last edited by TonE; 09-24-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #28
Wizzart

Great ideas!

I been working on a new version, I redid all the code with lots of performance improvements and new features added, I've also been writing a little user's guide, and preparing new videos to show these new features.

Now it will be possible to install Nabla Looper from ReaPack to make future updates easier!

I hope to release the new version next week, after that I'll can start to figure out a way to implement some of the workflows that you propose. So I hope we are sharing ideas in the next few days.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #29
Wizzart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 2099 View Post
Hello Esteban,

Thanks for giving us such a great tool! I've tried both modes and they both seem to work quite well. I am having one problem that I hope you can help me with. I want to use my midi controller to trigger recording in manual mode, but I can't make it work. The trigger works with the keyboard shortcut, and I can use my midi controller to initiate the manual mode, but not to trigger the recording. Do you have any ideas about what may be going on?

cheers,
Dave

Only works with MIDI CC messages, and these should send 127 and 0 on press and release, also try with the different MIDI CC modes within the shorcut window from the action list. Let me know if works with this configurations.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #30
Dave 2099

Awesome, I was wondering whether that might be the issue but hadn't tried reprogramming my midi pedal. Which, in fact, uses PC messages! I'll report back when I have a chance to try it. I think my pedal (FCB1010) lets me choose toggle/momentary modes, so hopefully that takes care of it.

Thank you sir!
Old 09-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #31
TonE

Quote:
Now it will be possible to install Nabla Looper from ReaPack to make future updates easier!
Thanks Esteban, ReaPack sounds great!

Another thought, it could be cool if the Nabla Looper's design would allow kind of 'plugins' just for Nabla Looper. Those plugins could extend its features then. Of course only if the design allows it. Each feature could be just a plugin for Nabla Looper, over time we could have 100 or more extra features for it. Imagine something like packages for Emacs, which extend Emacs features.

Someone made this great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCT2XZbUII

Last edited by TonE; 09-24-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:44 AM   #32
mschnell

I included a link to this thread in the sticky thread in the "Live" subforum.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #33
Dave 2099

Esteban, I wonder if you would mind creating a version of the Manual Core script that only continues duplicate the existing items (i.e., that does not affect other tracks or prime the trigger for the start/stop recording script). I've been looking for something like that, but I'm not a coder. Thanks in advance if that's something you're willing to do!

At TonE's request, I put together a demo of my rec/bump/create regions custom action. I think it would be cool to merge this kind of functionality into Nabla.

https://youtu.be/fcvZFfI4w3s
Old 09-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #34
TonE

Dear Dave, thanks for the video demonstration.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #35
Wizzart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I included a link to this thread in the sticky thread in the "Live" subforum.
-Michael
Thank you, Michael!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 2099 View Post
Esteban, I wonder if you would mind creating a version of the Manual Core script that only continues duplicate the existing items (i.e., that does not affect other tracks or prime the trigger for the start/stop recording script). I've been looking for something like that, but I'm not a coder. Thanks in advance if that's something you're willing to do!
You can do that by turning off the "Link Triggers" in Nabla's preferences, you must also uncheck the "Stop / repeat playback at end of project" option in REAPER's preferences, in the "Playback" section.

In the coming version I fix the "arm/unarm all tracks issue". A couple more days to be ready!
Old 09-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #36
Dave 2099

Quote:
You can do that by turning off the "Link Triggers" in Nabla's preferences, you must also uncheck the "Stop / repeat playback at end of project" option in REAPER's preferences, in the "Playback" section.
This feels like Christmas day! That's awesome man, thank you.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:54 AM   #37
TonE

Does this only work in 64 bit systems, tried in Reaper 32 bit in 32 bit wine in Ubuntu 18.04, when starting any of the Nabla scripts, e.g. Arrangement mode or setting, I am getting following Reascript Error: path/Nabla Looper Arranged Core.dat: size_t size mismatch in precompiled chunk

Is it possible getting non precompiled scripts, maybe this could help or any other tips?
Old 10-03-2020, 06:19 AM   #38
mccrabney

very cool work, thanks for generously sharing it.

so, i gave this a shot the other day, but tried using it on my default project. i have a fairly complex default project and it didn't "take" well to this script.

is it because my default project relies on a different recording mode? it uses record midi overdub on 8 tracks each armed and receiving discrete channels of incoming midi.

sorry i don't have more info here, this isn't good bug/experience reporting - it was a week or so ago and i haven't tried since. just thought i'd ask.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #39
TonE

I think something related to this situation was mentioned before, the recording input should be "audio and midi" or so. You could try that for testing purposes at least.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:59 AM   #40
maxdis

Thank you for this great script, but there's a way (in Arranged Mode) to hear what I'm playing before I'm recording a loop? When I press the "Arranged Mode" button, I can't longer hear what I'm playing, and I can only hear it when the cursor is crossing over the red item and recording.
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote