Old 09-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
bbmuddywolf
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper freezes up

I have an issue that the computer geniuses can help me with. Every once in a while after I have opened a project—my current one being fairly large with some significant processing—usually once I open an fx rack, Reaper will stop responding (a message comes up on the top title bar) and the screen goes transparent white like a sheet was thrown over the monitor. I can still see the window behind it but menus and mouse clicks do nothing. If I have a track in playback mode it still sounds but I can’t stop it. I am running Windows 7 and just finished updating all the drivers. As I do not know the insides of a computer can someone help me figure this out? And please talk slow about possible fixes.
bbmuddywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
suchatravesty

Have you proven that the problem is tied to a specific project? If you open the same project on a different computer do you have the same problem?
suchatravesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
bbmuddywolf

I don’t have another computer to try it on but I did have the same issue when I had worked on the same project in Bandlab’s Cakewalk. However in Cakewalk it also occurred on other projects.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
toleolu

Does CTRL ALT DEL bring up the task manager or s everything locked up?
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
suchatravesty

With the small amount of info you've given my hunch would be you have issues with that computer. I would try to prove that wrong first.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
bbmuddywolf

The program doesn’t freeze up all the time. How do I go about proving a problem or will it be more efficient for a computer illiterate to just bring it in to a repair shop?
Old 09-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
suchatravesty

That is a good question. If you aren't able to prove it by using another computer, I guess you could try to uninstall Reaper and reinstall it with the latest version.

After it freezes does Reaper recover on its own after a few moments or do you have to force quit?

Roughly how many tracks, fx and media items do you have in your project?

Are you running Reaper from a flash drive or is it installed on your computer?
If you right click "My computer" within the start menu what are your machine specs. such as processor and RAM and hard drive?
Old 09-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #8
domzy

my guess is a buggy plug-in
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
bbmuddywolf

I have not installed the lastest update yet—could that work similar to re-installing the whole program?

I am running Reaper directly installed on my pc. Once Reaper freezes I have to force a quit. My current project has 16 tracks each with their own media item plus number of buses and a couple parallel fax busses totaling 30 tracks. Each media track will have some eq and comp on it plus additional fx on the drum tracks and buses.

When I started with Reaper I did bring some third party vst’s with me. I should maybe try replacing those with the Cockos equivalent—though a couple are not in the stock selection.

My computer specs are i5cpu, 650 @ 3.20GHz, 6.00 GB ram
Old 09-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #10
hopi

I used to get that now and then on my old XP pc but have not had it on the new win7 pc... it IS ugly...

how much ram do you have, what is the cpu specs, and what is the audio interface?
Old 09-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #11
bbmuddywolf

6GB ram. i5 cpu 650@3.20GHz (whatever that means). Not sure what you mean by audio interface.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
bbmuddywolf

Just as an update to this thread: I spent yesterday, not sure how many hours but a lot of the day, remixing my project with stock plugins and the updated Reaper. It was a good chance to see what was available within the program and I was actually quite surprised and happy with what I found. The point of this is to say that the program never froze up. So I guess I will need to figure out which plug-in was giving me problems.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #13
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmuddywolf View Post
Just as an update to this thread: I spent yesterday, not sure how many hours but a lot of the day, remixing my project with stock plugins and the updated Reaper. It was a good chance to see what was available within the program and I was actually quite surprised and happy with what I found. The point of this is to say that the program never froze up. So I guess I will need to figure out which plug-in was giving me problems.
Open the 'Performance Meter' window (search Action List), and sort the VSTs by CPU load. Will tell you loads. Some plugins eat 40% CPU or more; about 3% is the very most you want for any single one.

Last edited by bolgwrad; 09-30-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote