Old 09-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
fabrizio benedetti
Human being with feelings

Default 32 bit ASIO drivers

I have a PC with an old RME Hammerfall that still rocks. I have Win7 32 bits there, and Reaper 32 bits (clearly). RME has never released 64 bit drivers for the Hammerfall, so I'm stuck to Reaper 32 bits. Or, am I not?

I'd like to finally update to Win10 though, but I wonder if anyone has already tested the combo:
- Windows 10 64
- Hammerfall 32bit ASIO driver
- Reaper 32 bits

If the Hammerfall drivers install fine, does Reaper 64 have the ability to use 32 bits ASIO drivers? I noticed that if I have both Reaper 32 and Reaper 64 installed on a 64bit system, I can open Reaper 64 and a 32 bit application sending data on ReaRoute, and it works... I figure what's happening is the 32 bit program opens the 32 bit ReaRoute ASIO dll and Reaper64 catches the audio from the 32 bit ReaRoute - so, some bridging from 32 to 64 is taking place in the Reaper/ASIO realm.
fabrizio benedetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
nofish

Slightly different situation, but I once used a rather old Digigram audio card for which a 64 bit ASIO driver also never was released. Only 32 bit ASIO driver was available.
Used it on Win 8, 64 bit.

Outcome was Reaper 32 bit did see the ASIO driver and it worked fine, but Reaper 64 bit didn't see the ASIO driver.

Last edited by nofish; 09-21-2019 at 04:02 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #3
fabrizio benedetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Slightly different situation, but I once used a rather old Digigram audio card for which a 64 bit ASIO driver also never was released. Only 32 bit ASIO driver was available.
Used it on Win 8, 64 bit.

Outcome was Reaper 32 bit did see the ASIO driver and it worked fine, but Reaper 64 bit didn't see the ASIO driver.
Well, quite similar in fact. And it seems to show that no 32 to 64 bits bridging is implemented in Reaper 64, my working scenario may be limited to ReaRoute.

I am imaging to run Reaper 32, that will open the 32 bit ASIO driver of the Hammerfall, and acting like a bridge by having a track monitoring input from ReaRoute; Reaper 64 would host all my projects, and output to ReaRoute. I don't need low latency, so this could really work. As long as 32 bit builds of Reaper are still around...
Old 09-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #4
fabrizio benedetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrizio benedetti View Post
I don't need low latency, so this could really work.
Recording from the RME to Reaper 64 would involve another set of ReaRoute channels in the opposite direction. I don't need monitoring in the box, I just have to see if the recorded tracks are aligned correctly (I may have to adjust latency offsets manually)
Old 09-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
dmartinyesyes

Default RME 64 bit Driver

I am not sure which Hammerfall card you have, but RME has 64 bit drivers for my 17 year old Multiface and all other Hammerfall cards with the exception of the Digi series cards putout in the mid 90's.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/downloads/driver/hdspe.php

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1569189049
Attached Images
File Type: png Hammerfall 64 bit.PNG (20.4 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by dmartinyesyes; 09-22-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: add sreenshot
dmartinyesyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
cyrano

Exactly what I was thinking...

Admittedly, the webpage for the download seems to be confusing to some.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
ivansc

I have a very elderly RME HDSP 9652 which I use with a pair of Focusrite Octopres.
I have always used the 64 bit software, which is what appears on the download page. Unless I am going nuts? I will pop over , check it out& give you a link to drivers, totalmix and firmware update area.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/downloads/driver/hdspe.php

Now since it shows that the drivers are for 32/64 bit, I assume that the software will run in either, regardless of bit size.
Now go to the next link down, which you get to by clicking on the Windows WDM streaming driver button & then clicking on HDSP button.
If your drivers are out of date its worth also downloadin the firmware update too, just in case.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
cyrano

Digicheck and the Mac installers are still 32 bit. That's a problem for 10.15 that no longer supports 32 bit apps. I spose an update is in the works. Until then, don't upgrade to 10.15?

I also don't think Reaper64 doesn't work with 32 bit drivers. Unless your OS doesn't run 32 bit software, of course. I was under the impression Win10 was 32/64 bit?
Old 09-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
fabrizio benedetti

Mine is a Digi, no 64 bits for us. Someone on the RME forums pointed out that for that card there is a 64 bit driver for ALSA in the Linux Kernel.