Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #601
themixtape
Human being with feelings

I installed that DLL over the 8.00 DLL.

Check this out... I hope this helps. The slow stuff I experience is when a heavy-resource plugin (such as V-Collection Matrix 12)'s TRACK is SELECTED.

If it's not, no slow-down (tracks 1-3 in this screencast-- no lag at all even though the screencast is a bit slow-looking).

Notice the heavy plugins in this project: Omnisphere (using Keyscape's C7 Grand), V-Collection Clavinet, and Addictive Keys. No slow-down when those tracks are selected. Only with the Matrix-12.

Really hope this helps, in discovering what's wrong. Thx!

http://oustedproductions.net/reaper/jurgen.gif

(Clearly shows the lag when track 4 selected). Everyone using DrivenByMoss, can you verify if you experience lag when a certain track is selected? If it is de-selected, does the lag go away?

Last edited by themixtape; 09-11-2019 at 06:00 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #602
mehmethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Could please everybody who experiences performance issues give their full hardware (incl. audiohardware) and software specs?
- I'm using push 2. It is directly connected to a free usb2 port on my PC.
- Windows 10 64 bit. Latest Reaper dev build.
- System and plug-in contents are on seperate SSD Hardisks.
- i7-6700k 4.00Ghz 32GB Ram
- Rme UFX interface.
- I dont know if it is related but I have latest java installed.
- Normally my system is rock solid and I dont have such problems. Except this drivenbymoss error and nexus plugin license fail recently.

Last edited by mehmethan; 09-11-2019 at 01:27 PM.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #603
mehmethan

https://stash.reaper.fm/37133/AI.gif

On track 1,2 I have Lethal and Avenger vsti plugins. Track 3,4 is empty. Please check the gif. When I select track1,2 Reaper is freezing. But when I select track 3,4 everthing is normal. (drivenbymoss is active and I'm using that dll file you sent a few messages ago.)
Old 09-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #604
heavybeats

Quote:
Could please everybody who experiences performance issues give their full hardware (incl. audiohardware) and software specs?
+1 on performance issue with v8 so have rolled back. Im not using any VSTi but am running CPU instensive Acustica Audio plugins on a busy session. Reaper meters are lagging badly as is whole interface really when DriveByMoss enabled

Specs are:
- Windows 10 latest build
- Reaper 5.983
- Steinberg UR824 interface
- Push 2
- I7 8770k, 32GB RAM
heavybeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:33 AM   #605
timzibrat

Quote:
Windows 10 latest build
Reaper 5.983

RME UCX
Novation 61SL MKIII

Intel Xeon E5-2680 v3 10 core
64GB RAM
2x500GB samsung SSD
4x3TB HDD Toshiba PCI Raid 5 config

EDIT: Still experiencing the same choppy, laggy behavior with the new dll (even when trying to select a track. Takes about 4-5 seconds to select in bigger projects).

Last edited by timzibrat; 09-13-2019 at 04:40 AM.
timzibrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:55 AM   #606
moss

Default Performance Issue

Trying to sum-up:
1) No issue with 7.05
2) Test-DLL shows the same lag (which rules out the new reading of the track chunk)
3) Everybody seems to be on latest Win10 and Reaper (me too, but don't have the issue)

So, more questions:
1) Does it happen if DBM is loaded but no Device is added/active?
2) Can everybody confirm that it only happens if a track with a "heavy" plugin is seletced
3) Can someone try with a clean portable install of Reaper? Only add one criticial plugin you need for the test (no alternative layout or other extensions).
4) It happens already if there is one track with a problematic plugin, no clips, no automation, no playback running, correct?

Will try to provide a test version with more output in the next days but I am very busy currently.
moss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:48 AM   #607
timzibrat

Yes, there's no difference in whether a device is selected or not.

2) Can everybody confirm that it only happens if a track with a "heavy" plugin is selected
It happens for me without selecting any track. Whole project is laggy.

3) Can someone try with a clean portable install of Reaper? Only add one criticial plugin you need for the test (no alternative layout or other extensions).
I honestly cannot get DBM to work properly in my portable install. It's like something is pressing buttons all the time, recording, witching tracks etc. Crazy behavior. No lag apparently though. Will need to spend some time with this to figure it out.

4) It happens already if there is one track with a problematic plugin, no clips, no automation, no playback running, correct?
Yes. One Omnisphere track slows things down. The timecode starts jumping forward by 7-10 frames, so no smooth time anymore while pressing play.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #608
mehmethan

DBM is loaded but no device active. I still have that cpu overload and freezing with some plugins.

2) Can everybody confirm that it only happens if a track with a "heavy" plugin is seletced.
DBM is loaded but no device active and it only happens when that plugin track is selected.

I tried with a clean portable install and have same issues.

Yes.Also no record-arm and no input.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #609
themixtape

Quote:
Trying to sum-up:
1) No issue with 7.05
2) Test-DLL shows the same lag (which rules out the new reading of the track chunk)
3) Everybody seems to be on latest Win10 and Reaper (me too, but don't have the issue)

So, more questions:
2) Can everybody confirm that it only happens if a track with a "heavy" plugin is seletced

Will try to provide a test version with more output in the next days but I am very busy currently.
I can't load a plugin with the browser with 7.05 (latest Reaper, 64-bit). 64-bit Windows 7. SL MKIII. I can with 8.00, though. Tried a fresh portable install. Same issue.

1. I don't think so
2. It only happens when a "heavy" plugin is selected, indeed.
3. Tried clean portable install. Same issue with 7.05 (can't load plugin with browser) and 8.00 lag with heavy plugin.
4. Yes, without clips, no automation... but, playback IS running (that's why I notice the lag) when the track is selected. If it's just one track with the plugin, it still lags on certain "heavy" plugins. If it's two tracks, and the empty one is selected, no lag.

Thanks Jurgen!
Old 09-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #610
moss

8.10 is online!

If you still experience performance issues with some plugins, open the new
Debug dialog and experiment with deactivating some of the update routines.
Tell me if deactivating one of them fixes the problem.
  • All devices
    • New: Added new scales
    • New: Added a Debug dialog where you can test to deactivate update routines
    • Fixed: Creating clips did not start recording.
    • Fixed: Send values were always sent for Send 1.
    • Fixed: Only use send envelopes when active
  • APCmini
    • Fixed: Sometimes the pad grid was not drawn after startup, since the APCmini is slow to be ready for receiving commands.
  • APC40mkI/mkII, APCmini, Launchpad MkII/Pro, Novation SL, Push
    • Fixed: Deactivate all sequencers if no clip is selected. This caused weird effects if
      the grid resolution of the sequencer was changed with no clip selected and then a clip
      was selected.
  • Beatstep Pro
    • Fixed: Some knobs did not toggle its value
  • Mackie HUI
    • Fixed: Crash on startup and shutdown if Display was active
  • Native Instruments Komplete S-MkII, A-series/M32
    • New: The extension is now split up into two. One for the S-series and one for the A-series/M32. You need to add your Kontrol device again.
  • Novation SLMkIII
    • New: Notification messages are also displayed on the SL display
    • New: Firmware version is displayed on startup
  • OSC
    • New: /playbutton - Toggles playback, you can configure the Stop behaviour in the configuration settings
    • Fixed: All /vkb_midi commands did crash
  • Push
    • Fixed: Display a message if no clip is selected in clip mode
    • Fixed: Octave buttons were not updated in sequencer modes.

Enjoy!
Old 09-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #611
barbaroja

Thanks Moss. Awesome stuff as always.

do you think it can be possible for push 2 users to change the repeat rate with the 1/32, 1/8, 1/16, etc buttons as well? Without the need to go inside the repeat rate submenu.

When performing, I have to go inside the submenu, holding repeat button to change the repeat rate so it breaks any performance with repeat.
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #612
themixtape

Thanks, Jurgen. I am experiencing MASSIVE lag now. MASSIVE. Even when the track ISN'T selected, it's lagging. It didn't lag before, when the track wasn't selected (Arturia Matrix-12). It is MASSIVELY slow now, when the track is selected. It is completely unusable.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #613
pepe44

installed the new version, after a few moves, i had a crash.
Behringer X touch.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #614
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Quote:
8.10 is online!

Tell me if deactivating one of them fixes the problem.
  • All devices
    • New: Added new scales
    • New: Added a Debug dialog where you can test to deactivate update routines
    • Fixed: Creating clips did not start recording.
    • Fixed: Send values were always sent for Send 1.
    • Fixed: Only use send envelopes when active
  • APCmini
    • Fixed: Sometimes the pad grid was not drawn after startup, since the APCmini is slow to be ready for receiving commands.
  • APC40mkI/mkII, APCmini, Launchpad MkII/Pro, Novation SL, Push
    • Fixed: Deactivate all sequencers if no clip is selected. This caused weird effects if
      the grid resolution of the sequencer was changed with no clip selected and then a clip
      was selected.
  • Beatstep Pro
    • Fixed: Some knobs did not toggle its value
  • Mackie HUI
    • Fixed: Crash on startup and shutdown if Display was active
  • Native Instruments Komplete S-MkII, A-series/M32
    • New: The extension is now split up into two. One for the S-series and one for the A-series/M32. You need to add your Kontrol device again.
  • Novation SLMkIII
    • New: Notification messages are also displayed on the SL display
    • New: Firmware version is displayed on startup
  • OSC
    • New: /playbutton - Toggles playback, you can configure the Stop behaviour in the configuration settings
    • Fixed: All /vkb_midi commands did crash
  • Push
    • Fixed: Display a message if no clip is selected in clip mode
    • Fixed: Octave buttons were not updated in sequencer modes.

Enjoy!
message error:

Quote:
drivenbymoss: ERROR: Could not register native functionsjava.lang.NoSuchMethodError: Method de.mossgrabers.reaper.ui.MainFrame.enableUpdates(L java/lang/String;Z)V not found
edit: I re-installed, removing before the old version ... and it works for the push 1 ... moss thank you

Last edited by Vincent Sermonne; 09-21-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Vincent Sermonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #615
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaroja View Post
Thanks Moss. Awesome stuff as always.

do you think it can be possible for push 2 users to change the repeat rate with the 1/32, 1/8, 1/16, etc buttons as well? Without the need to go inside the repeat rate submenu.

When performing, I have to go inside the submenu, holding repeat button to change the repeat rate so it breaks any performance with repeat.
The problem is that the Scene buttons already have plenty of different functions in the different modes.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #616
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Thanks, Jurgen. I am experiencing MASSIVE lag now. MASSIVE. Even when the track ISN'T selected, it's lagging. It didn't lag before, when the track wasn't selected (Arturia Matrix-12). It is MASSIVELY slow now, when the track is selected. It is completely unusable.

Any thoughts?
"
Tell me if deactivating one of them fixes the problem."
Old 09-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #617
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
installed the new version, after a few moves, i had a crash.
Behringer X touch.
Crash of what? Any log, error description?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #618
themixtape

Quote:
"
Tell me if deactivating one of them fixes the problem."
I tried one at a time... until it was all of them. No luck. In the meantime I just went back to 7.05. Even though I can't browse from the SL MKIII (insert / browse), it still has most of the functions I want and need (without any lag at all), so I'll rock this for a while until and if you figure out the lag/bugs... I wish the browse function worked as it does with 8.00, though. Thanks again for your awesome work!
Old 09-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #619
timzibrat

Hi. The lag is less significant than before, but I still experience it even without any of the updates ticked in the debug section.

Can someone provide me with a link to the 7.05 version, just for me to compare? All of the other functions are great btw. Jurgen, so I'm hopeful you can pinpoint the lag issue.

Best,
Tim
Old 09-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #620
Rims

Default Features question

Just a features question: Is it the design that all scenes are reaper regions, and therefore all midi/audio items must be the same length as the region? (As opposed to you have a group of tracks in a scene, all of different lengths and the scene loops per the longest loop) I watched some videos and I think that was the idea but not explicitly stated so am asking.
Rims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #621
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzibrat View Post
Hi. The lag is less significant than before, but I still experience it even without any of the updates ticked in the debug section.

Can someone provide me with a link to the 7.05 version, just for me to compare? All of the other functions are great btw. Jurgen, so I'm hopeful you can pinpoint the lag issue.

Best,
Tim
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/R...05-Windows.zip
Old 09-23-2019, 04:03 AM   #622
pepe44

Quote:
Crash of what? Any log, error description?
The surface control hangs and reaper hangs. i have to close reaper unplugg the surface , turn teh surface ON and restart reaper. Java things i can guess...
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #623
mehmethan

Hi, first I really want to thank you for this great work.

I installed v8.10 and test it. (push2 -win64 - reaper latest dev build) I still have same issues like the v8.0 Here is my debug mode report:

I used 1 instances of Lethal audio vsti plugin to test. Just one plugin inserted on track 1.No midi.no audio. There is also another track (track 2) which is empty.

- When drivenbymoss is not activated CPU usage is around 1.5% And track1 cpu use 0.02%

- When I activate Drivenbymoss select track1 CPU:16% and track1 cpu use 7.5%. If I select track2 CPU 9%.

Debug mode :

- Untick all. (nothing is selected in debug window) : Everything seems to be normal.

- Transport is selected only :Everything seems to be normal.

- Project is selected only :Everything seems to be normal.

- Track is selected only: CPU 8% it doesn't matter if I select track1 or 2. track1 cpu usage 0.02%

- Playing notes is selected only :Everything seems to be normal.

- Device is selected only: CPU 9% when I select track1. CPU 2% when I select track2. track1 cpu use 0.02%

- Master track is selected only: CPU 3%

- Browser is selected only : CPU 16% when track1 is selected. CPU 9% when track2 is selected. track1 cpu use 11%

- Marker is selected only : CPU 2.8%

- Clip is selected only : CPU 2.8%

- Session is selected only CPU 2.8%

I believe the biggest problem is about the browser data.I hope this helps.

I also switched back to version 7.05 to see if it will help. But I have same issues on 7.05,too.

Regards..

Last edited by mehmethan; 09-23-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #624
andreashe

Hi Jürgen,

I tried an update to 8.10 from 5.10.

Now I see the M32 but can't get it work. On the end I tried to resetup it for NI S49 (more important for me) but if I select it, it automatically chooses NI M32. Tried also removing the config file.

At the end, I can't get both working and downgraded to 5.10 which works for S49.

best regards
andreashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:52 AM   #625
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreashe View Post
Hi Jürgen,

I tried an update to 8.10 from 5.10.

Now I see the M32 but can't get it work. On the end I tried to resetup it for NI S49 (more important for me) but if I select it, it automatically chooses NI M32. Tried also removing the config file.

At the end, I can't get both working and downgraded to 5.10 which works for S49.

best regards
The NI host can only handle one device, no idea why they have such a limitation, makes no sense to me.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:03 AM   #626
andreashe

Sure, I know that only one device works at the same time. Just want to mention with your application version 8.10, Ni S49 or M32 do not work. With 5.10 I can use S49. And if I select in 8.10 the S49; it adds a M32 to the list, not the S49.

Did also unplug the M32 - no change.
andreashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:22 AM   #627
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
Hi, first I really want to thank you for this great work.

I installed v8.10 and test it. (push2 -win64 - reaper latest dev build) I still have same issues like the v8.0 Here is my debug mode report:
Ah, that is helpful. Many thanks for the detailed test!
Would not have thought that the Browser is the guilty one but having a quick look at the code, it does a lot of heavy stuff, which should not be necessary at that update rate.
So, you are good if the Browser update is off?

One last question:
Please test to have the Track update on and then test toggling the midi notes update (since it is also off if track is off).
Old 09-25-2019, 05:44 AM   #628
mehmethan

Quote:
So, you are good if the Browser update is off?
DBM is still not usable when there is a problematic plugin in the project. Browser update is OFF. (all other updates are ON) Reaper behaves very slow.

Quote:
One last question:
Please test to have the Track update on and then test toggling the midi notes update (since it is also off if track is off).
DBM is also not usable when there is a problematic plugin in the project and track update ON.(all other updates are OFF)

DBM is not usable when there is a problematic plugin in the project and track update ON, play notes update ON. (all other updates are OFF)

(DBM 8.10 - Push2 - win64 - Reaper latest dev build)
Old 09-25-2019, 06:16 AM   #629
Skijumptoes

Moss- How do i learn/change the parameters on Push 1 for a plugin? I've not been using Reaper for a while so i've forgotten how to do this and can't see it in any docs anywhere? Many thanks!
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #630
moss

Quote:
DBM is still not usable when there is a problematic plugin in the project. Browser update is OFF. (all other updates are ON) Reaper behaves very slow.
OK, thanks. But everything OFF is fine?
Old 09-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #631
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Moss- How do i learn/change the parameters on Push 1 for a plugin? I've not been using Reaper for a while so i've forgotten how to do this and can't see it in any docs anywhere? Many thanks!
Press the Device button on the Push. Make sure a track is selected and select the device in the device mode, with one of the first row buttons (it is not possible to follow a selected device in Reaper).
Old 09-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #632
Skijumptoes

Sorry, i meant how do i change the mapping so that the parameters are in a sensible order that works for me?

i.e. for a synth i may want Cutoff and Resonance to be the first two parameters.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #633
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Sorry, i meant how do i change the mapping so that the parameters are in a sensible order that works for me?

i.e. for a synth i may want Cutoff and Resonance to be the first two parameters.
Since Reaper has no way of reordering the parameters, it is not possible.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #634
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreashe View Post
Sure, I know that only one device works at the same time. Just want to mention with your application version 8.10, Ni S49 or M32 do not work. With 5.10 I can use S49. And if I select in 8.10 the S49; it adds a M32 to the list, not the S49.

Did also unplug the M32 - no change.
Just tested, stupid typo bug. Will be fixed in the next update.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #635
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Since Reaper has no way of reordering the parameters, it is not possible.
Ah ok, i think i've confused myself as i remember mapping previously - but i was thinking of the Klinke plugin for MCU control, where you can map plugins by pressing Alt+Plugin and it pops up an application to map them. i.e. https://i.imgur.com/emsj8tO.jpg

Thanks for replying.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #636
moss

Quote:
I put some of the updates on a slower update rate, which decreased the CPU hit quite a lot. Please give this a shot:
http://mossgrabers.de/stuff/reaper_drivenbymoss.zip
Old 09-26-2019, 03:54 AM   #637
mehmethan

Quote:
I put some of the updates on a slower update rate, which decreased the CPU hit quite a lot. Please give this a shot:
Hi, thanks for the fix. I tested it. I feel that there is a better response with this one but still unsable with problematic plugins.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #638
copper

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the fix. I tested it. I feel that there is a better response with this one but still unsable with problematic plugins.
Quote:
Hey. Thanks for what you do, I managed to connect my midi keyboard Komplete Kontrol A-61 and it works great!

But during operation, braking began to appear. The processor load did not grow much, but there were hangs that made it very difficult to work. I recorded a video in which I showed an example without using DrivenByMoss4Reaper and using DrivenByMoss4Reaper in a large, almost completed project. Would that be possible to fix?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_9...kCl3x_7oGjgzhX

My setup:
Reaper - v.5.983 x64
Windows 10
i7 8700 CPU
16gb RAM
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #639
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
Hey. Thanks for what you do, I managed to connect my midi keyboard Komplete Kontrol A-61 and it works great!

But during operation, braking began to appear. The processor load did not grow much, but there were hangs that made it very difficult to work. I recorded a video in which I showed an example without using DrivenByMoss4Reaper and using DrivenByMoss4Reaper in a large, almost completed project. Would that be possible to fix?
Hmm, interesting. Playback is solid and the CPU look also okay. Question is why the play cursor drawing stops.
Could you provide this or a similar project?
Problem is, I cannot fix this until I can reproduce it.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #640
maxdembo

I'm about to try this driver.

Simple question tho I guess... Will this make it possible for the BSP's tempo knob to control Reapers BPM on the fly?
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote