Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #1
Sweetfoot
Human being with feelings

Default How to quickly link all parameters between two Identical FX

I will often double or triple track lead vocals. I use slate's virtual mix rack (VMR) on all of the tracks. I usually want the same chain on all tracks with identical settings. What I'd like to be able to do is open the FX chain for my lead vocal, make changes to the settings and/or swap out VMR modules and have all of the changes automatically apply to the FX chains on the double and triple tracks. How would I go about setting this up in a way that wouldn't require going in and manually linking every parameter whenever I add a new VMR module?
Sweetfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
Tone Ranger

Following!
Tone Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
Lokasenna

You can't directly link parameters on different tracks, unfortunately. There are a few ways to work around that limitation though - for instance, having a script that automatically updates the children when you change the parent. Have a look for Set selected tracks FX parameters values from last focused FX (real-time) on ReaPack, or just search for "fx parameter" to see a few others.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:19 AM   #4
DarkStar

And, once you have set it all up for the three tracks, save them as a Track Template for next time.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
for instance, having a script that automatically updates the children when you change the parent.
or, I imagine, adding Automation item to all source FX parameters, then adding pools to child FX. But in this case you can control stuff only with TCP.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

There are a couple of JS plugs out there that can help you link parameters across tracks. It’s a little fiddley but works. Another option might be to put them all in one “rack track” where linking parameters is easy. Assign each a different pair of channels and route from the vocal “tape tracks” through the “rack” and on to another set of “mixer tracks”. I don’t think the hassle of feedback routing to have them back on the original tracks is worth it, but it could be done, too.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
Sweetfoot

Thank you all for the answers! "Set selected tracks FX parameters values from last focused FX (real-time)" is close enough to what I need.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:05 AM   #8
svijayrathinam

We need a simpler solution for this..pls... can someone pls write a script that can immediately link all parameters of similar plugin in one click..pls
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:18 AM   #9
jrk

Been done.
Script: spk77_Link selected tracks FX parameters.lua
Old 01-13-2021, 06:10 AM   #10
valy

We need a native solution. Maybe one day.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:20 AM   #11
Gass n Klang

push. I miss that option quite a lot. For track and take fx.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:33 PM   #12
mschnell

I'm not sure that a "native" feature for this (supposedly important only for some) is really an urgent issue, but it could be done by a (rather complex) script, a (very complex, supposedly no Take FX linking possible) JSFX, an extension (like SWS) or a VST (like ReaLearn).

If I would do it, I supposedly would do a VST to be placed in each appropriate track, linking with plugin parameters like ReaControlMidi does, and the instances could exchange the necessary information under the hood.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-29-2022 at 11:56 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:32 AM   #13
Gass n Klang

the most important thing is that it's easy and fast to use with no time consuming linking setup techniques. I think a native support would be best. Linking like on live mixing desks would be fine. They normally ask if A should override B or vice versa.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:56 AM   #14
X-Raym

On this thread

Scripts: FX Param Values (various)

You have

• X-Raym_Set selected tracks FX parameters values from last focused FX (real-time).lua
  • X-Raym_Propagate last focused FX parameters values but bypass to similarly named FX on child tracks (real-time).lua
These are probably the quickest workarround because it doesnt store anything (it is based on focus and track selection, which might work for you or not).
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #15
skylar_battles

Any updates on this? Using multiple instances of Reatune for vocal pitch correction on different tracks of vocals would be an example where this would be very useful.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #16
X-Raym

@skylar_battles
hmm i dont see why, cause each tracks needs his own shifting.

But anyway, maybe, as corrections arent automatable, this new KSMHR plugin can help ?

https://youtu.be/wWrZBHqm4lA
Old 10-03-2022, 10:57 PM   #17
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
Any updates on this? Using multiple instances of Reatune for vocal pitch correction on different tracks of vocals would be an example where this would be very useful.
Is this not more a task for Melodyne and friends ?
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:43 PM   #18
skylar_battles

X-Raym, because if a vocalist tracks doubles or triples does't each performance need to be pitch corrected separately?

I tried do using one instance of the pitch correction on a folder containing child tracks which worked very poorly.

Maybe I should take all the vocals out of the master send and send them to a vocal recieve that's fully wet?

I do imagine Melodyne would be more seamless but I am enjoying pushing the stock plugins to the limits as I continue to really try to learn this software.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:14 PM   #19
X-Raym

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles
because if a vocalist tracks doubles or triples does't each performance need to be pitch corrected separately?

precisely. So I dont see why linking parameter is needed.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:07 PM   #20
drichard

I sometimes do something similar. Often I will drag (I forget if it's Ctrl-drag or Alt-drag) a copy of the updated plugin to the other two tracks, then delete the previous existing instances. It only takes a few seconds. It's faster than updating the settings on the other two tracks, and you never have to worry about making a mistake. For example, if I want to change the EQ I make the change, delete the EQ plugins on the other two tracks, and drag the updated EQ to the two tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetfoot View Post
I will often double or triple track lead vocals. I use slate's virtual mix rack (VMR) on all of the tracks. I usually want the same chain on all tracks with identical settings. What I'd like to be able to do is open the FX chain for my lead vocal, make changes to the settings and/or swap out VMR modules and have all of the changes automatically apply to the FX chains on the double and triple tracks. How would I go about setting this up in a way that wouldn't require going in and manually linking every parameter whenever I add a new VMR module?
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:08 PM   #21
drichard

You can have a different pitch correction, for example, while still using the same EQ and compression settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
precisely. So I dont see why linking parameter is needed.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:15 PM   #22
skylar_battles

drichard, yes that's my workflow for this now but I think there must be a better way. Also, just dragging without any keyboard modifiers seems to retain the settings.

I'll try a vocal bus to see if that works better today.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:41 AM   #23
drichard

As I said, it only takes a few seconds for me. My guess is that any method of setting up a link of parameters for FX across tracks would take a lot longer. Maybe it's because I've done it so much, but it's super fast and easy for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
drichard, yes that's my workflow for this now but I think there must be a better way. Also, just dragging without any keyboard modifiers seems to retain the settings.

I'll try a vocal bus to see if that works better today.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:05 AM   #24
dylanoid

Realtime linking is going to be really useful if you need to make frequent changes that are copied across several fx.

It would be very helpful to have simple fx instance link across project - in each fx click a button to list/choose which other instances it is linked with, with an indicator showing that linking is on. When you move a parameter in any of the linked instances it changes all the others.
dylanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:35 AM   #25
Sweetfoot

Default UPDATE

Since posting this, I'l been using "spk77_Link selected tracks FX parameters.lua", it's been doing what I need.

Most frequently, I use it for layered vocals. I like to put a compressor on each individual track, rather than putting all the vocals into a folder an relying on bus compression, since this can yield a more dense sounding blend of the layers. I activate the script, then I can quickly select all the vocal layers, and adjust the compressor settings one track, and the settings are repeated on all the other selected tracks. If I then want to make adjustments to some tracks, but not all, I can do so be deselecting the tracks I don't want to affect. Seems to be a pretty elegant solution.