Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
unca D
Human being with feelings

Default Almost there - MIDI hookups

I have a MIDI hookup problem. I've been working on it for months. There have been earlier posts (adding midi instruments [1 and 2]. I've reviewed all the threads from Darkstar, Hopi, Tod, and others, plus support emails to roland. Tried to utilize them all with the following hookups.

Problem: Trying to get a Roland A800Pro and Roland JV1080 sound module to
work in Reaper.
Here are the settings: Midi OUT of keyboard (A800) to MIDI IN of JV1080.
AUDIO OUT (L) of JV1080 to Line In (L) of Tascam Audio interface. The keyboard has an internal MIDI interface which is set to ON. USB from keyboard to PC; Tascam USB to PC. According to the Roland tech, this IS the correct setup. All I have to do now is get the routing correct in Reaper.

Per earlier forum info, Keyboard INPUT is enabled; OUTPUT is disabled.
JV1080 INPUT is disabled; OUTPUT is enabled.

Track pane input, Tascam In (L) (which is the JV1080) is checked (also shown in red in the routing matrix). Monitoring is on. Audio output is shown as the Tascam (L&R) (which goes to monitor speakers). Track is armed.

The keyboard has three midi "entities" shown in routing matrix and in
preferences as A-Pro 1,2 and 3. All the tascam entities are also shown.

I think and hope I'm very close to getting sound here. One fact is
troubling. When I press a key on the keyboard, the Midi Message light
does not flash, which it did when I had the unit working properly.

Anybody out there have ANY CLUE as to what I'm still missing, or not doing correctly?
unca D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Tod
Human being with feelings

Hi unca D,

I've never used outboard sound modules with Reaper but I'm assuming the hookup would be something like the picture below.

This assumes both the Keyboard and Tascam Interface can transmit it's midi in and out through the USB.

On the Midi Input track you'll need select Input: MIDI and direct it to the Tascam Interface Midi Input and set it to what ever channel you are using. You can probably set it to All Channels but you will have to send the appropriate midi channel to the Tascam Interface (the one you're using in your JV1080).

Also on the I/O of the Midi Track you'll have to select MIDI Hardware Output (upper right corner) and direct it to the Tascam Interface. Just below that, select the midi channel you want to send the JV1080.

On the Audio Track for the JV1080, I'd select the Stereo Input directed to the Tascam Inputs where you hooked the JV1080 to the Tascam. Either that or use two input tracks for L & R. I'm assuming the JV1080 is stereo.

If I've got this all wrong, maybe DarkStar will have a better way.

EDIT: Heh heh, I see I spelled module wrong but oh well.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote