Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #41
rstockm
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedboy View Post
Still not as smooth as a trackpad would be.
For the record: this thread started with the complain, that even on a trackpad the scrolling is not as smooth as in other Mac apps.
rstockm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #42
Markcastle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Well perhaps different people mean different things by smooth scrolling.

For me it means non-stepped scrolling, like the trackpad. The only mouse I have used that seems capable of that is the Apple Magic Mouse, not even mice with free scrolling mode seem to support this.

But as said (almost) all apps on Mac, including DAWs, support this non-stepped scrolling. And in my opinion an app released for macOS is expected to support this as the standard Apple mouse (or trackpad) is surely the most commonly used pointing device among Mac users.

For me continuous, pixel-smooth scrolling is way less eye-straining than steps (even small ones) and I dare to say that this also plays some part of what draws people into the macOS ecosystem and gives them the feeling of a smooth, polished, user-friendly system - after all Apple is often associated with bringing the now ubiquitous smooth touchscreen swiping experience to the market with their Iphone. If an app does not support this it is very noticeable and disruptive and it somewhat gives the feeling that for example Reaper on Mac is more of an afterthought, even tough it otherwise performs greatly and almost bug-free (even better than Apple's own DAW).
Yeah, I'm using an MX Anywhere 2, with Infinite Scroll (or Mag Speed, or whatever you wanna call it), and my mousewheel can scroll all the way continuously (I can select between two modes, one without, as I said, and one with discrete steps).

While in browser and in all apps (most of it) I can actually benefit from using that badass wheel, in Reaper, I just cannot.

I know in Macs there's a different "technology" and an inertia option (I believe that was its name...?), but even if Windows doesn't support that feature, I'd at least prefer to smooth scroll (both vertical and horizontal, plus zooming) like I do in other apps and programs, but I simply can't, cause Reaper scrolling it's forced to be with these mentioned graduate steps (probably a whise choice due to performance reasons).

So I hope they can add an option to use smooth scrolling, in all direction, plus zooming.
Markcastle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #43
Phazma

Good to know there are some mice which would in some way benefit from smoother scrolling in Windows too.

Btw, just for the sake of complete information, Reaper has actually added support for the macOS inertia about half a year ago (under Preferences > General > Advanced UI > uncheck all "Throttle mouse events" boxes). While that was a huge improvement which I am still very grateful for, it feels all the more "itching" that the occasion has been left out to also add support for scrolling as smooth as the pointing device and OS permits... but given they had included inertia support out of nowhere some day, I am still having hopes that someday smooth scrolling will be available too.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #44
Markcastle_

Quote:
I have created these custom actions and assigned to my horizontal and vertical mousewheel:

The scrolling does not get totally smooth but it seems to help a bit. Try how many 0.5x multipliers work best for you. For me 2 for horizontal and 1 for vertical gave best results.

However, no matter what you do, while inertia works for wide scrolls with mouse throttling off, the small scrolls are still jerky, not pixel-smooth.

Another interesting thing:
I was able to shortly try out the MX Master 3 mouse (which everyone claims to be the best mouse), to see if the free wheel spin with smooth scrolling (in Logitech Options) works like Apple's trackpad and magic mouse. However without 3rd party solutions, even the MX Master doesn't do pixel-smooth scroll and it even doesn't in apps that support it (like web browser etc).
So I think it is an apple-mouse/trackpad exclusive behavior connected in some way to the OS that most apps support but Reaper does not. I will soon make a more precise feature request in the FR forum to support pixel-smooth scroll with apple devices (given that they already support inertia, maybe we can get this too).
MX Anywhere 2, here, still no smooth scrolling, zooming on Windows 10.

Did you send that request, didn't you?
Markcastle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:59 AM   #45
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcastle_ View Post
Did you send that request, didn't you?
Feature request submitted now:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....56#post2425856

Please everyone in this thread who cares about the issue support the FR by commenting "+1" or similar and ideally discuss it there, contribute arguments, crossplatform use-cases, implementation ideas and whatever has to do with it, so that the FR remains active and Cockos see there is interest for this by different types of users.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:27 PM   #46
sash2s

Quote:
Feature request submitted now:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....56#post2425856

Please everyone in this thread who cares about the issue support the FR by commenting "+1" or similar and ideally discuss it there, contribute arguments, crossplatform use-cases, implementation ideas and whatever has to do with it, so that the FR remains active and Cockos see there is interest for this by different types of users.
Thanks for that! Already voted!
sash2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:08 AM   #47
Inglev

Also regarding sluggish playhead, gui and such: On my MacMini 2018, the playback head and all track meters goes to and instant freeze whenever I move the mouse cursor over an automation track. When I hold the mouse still, everything runs smoothly.
Whenever I make an area selection and/or time selection, the meters get really laggy, but the playhead still runs smoothly.

Turning on the throttle for Move in General->Advanced UI, resolves the freezing issue, but makes scrolling and selecting mor sluggish and laggy in generel.

I am no programmer, but it seems wierd that a simple mouse movement would freeze up so many ui elements..
Inglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:15 PM   #48
Joe Miller

Hey guys I just discovered this thread after making a bug post earlier today -

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=252740

What's funny is I swear I used to have very precise zoom and scroll in older versions of Reaper on MacOS, using the Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad or the one built into the Macbook. It's only been recently (new M1 Mac and forced onto Big Sur etc) that I've noticed it is nothing like it was. As you can see from the thread above I got a little progress by tweaking the gearing and turning off swipe, but it's still nowhere near the precision that is available in other apps. For example try the same actions in Twisted Wave the audio editor and it's smooth as butter down to the single sample, very easy to work with. I cannot get the Magic Trackpad to even vaguely behave any more and have just put it away because it feels like trying to paint a faberge egg while wearing boxing gloves!
Joe Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:43 AM   #49
X-Raym

Default slsenseless / ReaScripts Smooth Zoom Scripts

On slsenseless / ReaScripts (non reapack) GitHub repo, you have various smooth zoom action...

It doesn't worth native support cause there is lots of ways we can zoom, here it means that you have to put the zoom actions to your modifier etc so it isn't really plug and play

Anyway, it gives a good idea of what if could do

you can adjust script speed and easing by edting it

(note there is also smooth scrool scripts on the same repo, and one attemps by amaglma too)
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #50
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
On slsenseless / ReaScripts (non reapack) GitHub repo, you have various smooth zoom action...

It doesn't worth native support cause there is lots of ways we can zoom, here it means that you have to put the zoom actions to your modifier etc so it isn't really plug and play

Anyway, it gives a good idea of what if could do

you can adjust script speed and easing by edting it

(note there is also smooth scrool scripts on the same repo, and one attemps by amaglma too)
Thanks for pointing out but I tried those scripts and the scrolling ones don't work at all while the zooming ones do work somehow but not smooth (and I also played around quite a bit with the user settable variables and it does weird things like scrolling instead of zooming, far away from being usable).

So still definitely worth to support it natively.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #51
X-Raym

Here are my setting for Vertical:
Code:
-- Variable
local amount = 5 -- Amount of zooming (/!\ Integer)
local zoomTime = 0.15 -- Total time of zoom in seconds (Theoretical, mesure and set approxZoomTime so it will be more accruate)
local direction = 1 -- 1: scroll up = zoom in / scroll down = zoom out, -1 reversed
--
local approxZoomTime = 0.01 -- Time that "CSurf_OnZoom" take, you can mesure yours by puting fluidity to 1 and uncommenting the two line in the for loop
--
and Horizontal
Code:
-- Variable
local amount = 1.7 -- Amount of zooming (1.7 ~default)
local zoomTime = 0.10 -- Total time of zoom in seconds (Theoretical, mesure and set approxZoomTime so it will be more accruate)
local smoothness = 5 -- Higher is more smooth, 1 = no transition
local direction = 1 -- 1: scroll up = zoom in / scroll down = zoom out, -1 reversed
--
local approxZoomTime = 0.008 -- Time that "adjustZoom" take, you can mesure yours by puting smoothness to 1 and uncommenting the two line in the for loop
--

But again yes, native could be nice.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #52
Phazma

Thanks, but also with your settings it is not smooth. Even the standard Reaper zoom is smoother. And seems like mouse inertia doesn't work with this script :/
Old 07-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #53
xoixa

How did you get it started? I tried it and got an error:
Arrange view smooth horizontal scroll.lua:13: attempt to call a nil value (field 'BR_Win32_GetFocus')
xoixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:03 PM   #54
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoixa View Post
How did you get it started? I tried it and got an error:
Arrange view smooth horizontal scroll.lua:13: attempt to call a nil value (field 'BR_Win32_GetFocus')
Make sure you have the SWS extension installed.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:02 AM   #55
tzzsmk

you can try using Smooze app which actually provides smooth scrolling across MacOS UI,
also, if you want smooth GUI, you should use some 100-120Hz monitor, makes a noticeable difference as well
Old 07-31-2021, 03:40 AM   #56
xoixa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
Make sure you have the SWS extension installed.
of course it's installed!
Old 08-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #57
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoixa View Post
of course it's installed!
Which version of SWS?

According to the release notes, the 'BR_Win32_GetFocus' function shown in the error message is available since v2.10.0 pre-release build (February 2, 2019): https://www.sws-extension.org/whatsnew.php

Last edited by solger; 08-03-2021 at 11:03 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #58
xoixa

2, 10, 0, 1
Old 08-04-2021, 08:57 PM   #59
xoixa

Two more useful scripts for smooth scrolling.
amagalma_Smooth scroll view left.eel
amagalma_Smooth scroll view right.eel

Last edited by xoixa; 08-04-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:43 AM   #60
solleydust

Hi there im not sure if the issue is fixed but this is what i found

An old thread from 2014 in cockos forums pointed out that, at curtain zoom, the DAW no longer shows the peak from the peak file generated , but reads directly from the media item, thats why the disk and cpu usage increase a lot.
So i checked out the Desired Cache resolution settings : 300 samples/sec
That means that smallest length it can display peak from peak files is about 0.003 sec

Then i measure that length in arrange view, try zooming in and out
And surpisingly , it lagged the most when the length gets too small that it becomes a straight line. Zoom out from that point, it stops lagging, zoom in, lag like crazy
My theory is the resolution is not large enough to cover the entire arrange view that contains many tracks and when it reach the point when the DAW has to read directly many tracks at once, lag can occur. but when i zoom in more, less tracks need to be displayed, it stops lagging.

So i tried to increase the Desired Cache resolution from 300 samples/sec to 1000 samples/sec

Delete the peak files from %temp%/REAPEAK or from the project folder depends on settings

It worked

No more lagging , smooth zoom in and out.

Hope it works for you guys too
solleydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 03:36 AM   #61
Phazma

Thanks for sharing your findings.

This thread however is not about laggy zoom which can or can not occur in certain circumstances and would be a performance issue. It is about Reaper not supporting zooming (and scrolling) at pixel-resolution; rather the scrolling/zooming occurs in chunks of pixels. Who uses a simple, traditional mouse with a stepped mousewheel might be unaware of the issue. But if you are on Mac with something like a Magic Mouse or Trackpad and first scroll inside pretty much any MacOS app (internet browser for example) and afterwards scroll (or zoom) inside Reaper, you should notice that it is not smooth but jumpy. Like moving the finger a millimeter on the mouse equals to a jump of soemthing like 5 or 10px instead of just 1px.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:14 AM   #62
bFooz

I've made some effort to script this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....54#post2647854
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote