Old 01-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
DuskyVO
Human being with feelings

Default ACX Check

tldr: Looking for built-in audio statistics checker to verify audio quality.

Hey all, I've done some searching around but haven't really found a great answer for this. I'm using reaper to edit VO for ACX, and having trouble streamlining the technical testing side of things.

Currently I'm using a program called Second Opinion (https://www.stevenjaycohen.com/2ndopinion/), which does exactly what I need: checks for appropriate head/tail silence length, dB peak, and RMS range. Unfortunately this is an inelegant solution, because I have to render to WAV, use Second Opinion, adjust as needed, render to WAV again, then when it's good render to MP3 for upload.

Within Reaper itself, I've been able to use JS: Audio Statistics to watch dB Peak and RMS, but (so far as I know) I need to play through the entire file to get the values; it would be preferable to have something that just scanned regions, checking the dB and RMS, and possibly also head/tail length.

Someone on a Reddit thread a few years back said it's "really easy to write a Reascript for that," but if that's the best option I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have a script, plugin, or just general advise on how to do this more efficiently?
DuskyVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
Philbo King

Try SWS Analyse Loudness. Set it to analyse tracks, select your tracks, and hit go. It won't do head/tail silence lengths though. And it requires you install the SWS Reaper extension.

If this is for final mixes, you do have to render the mixes first. No program can analyse a wav file that doesn't exist yet.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
DuskyVO

Ahh, that makes perfect sense now that I think about it. That's why using the Audio Statistics FX at the end of my chain shows the final results I'm looking for, but running Analyze Loudness doesn't... now I feel kind of dumb.

Do you know of any programs that could run a test like this on a rendered MP3? Or is there something special about WAV? Sorry if it's a silly question, still very new to all of this.
DuskyVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:49 AM   #4
Philbo King

Orban has a utility for Windows that lets you drag a file onto it and it'll analyse it for LUFS loudness.

Cooledit (AKA Adobe Audition) has some nice analysis tools built in.