Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Default help me find MY distro please

Posted in the wrong place earlier:

Since I currently have an old spare Win10 on a core 2 duo dell box, what would be the easiest way to get a basic Linux for music distro installed on it that will run LInux reaper AND my little RME Babyface?

Suppose I should wander over to the Linux area...

In the meantime I have done a few live runs with things like Puppy and of course Mint.#Got an old version o f Ubuntu Studio loading as I type.
Any suggestions for me & my babyface? 2.5 core 2 duo, 4gb ram & now it has a 320gb 5400 hard drive.
Runs win10 home 64bit fine if a little slowly.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
JamesPeters

First: do you plan to run native Linux software only (such as I do) or do you want to use Windows plugins (etc.)

Second: what software do you plan to run (Linux software).

Third: do you mind changing the configuration of your distro when necessary, or are you averse to that kind of thing.

A distro that's more audio-specific could be a good choice if you want to try to run "everything possible" since it'll have a low latency kernel by default, JACK and WINE etc. installed already, and hopefully configured well. However if you're only using native Linux stuff you can use just about any distro (then it's just a matter of whether the software you want to run is available in the repo for that distro, or if you have to add another software source to your package manager).

And you might have to swap kernels but that's easy to do too.

Here's a post I made explaining what I did with my distro install.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=13

I have no experience installing RME products in Linux, so you'll have to search for that I guess (if no one else with that experience posts replies).
Old 06-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Lokasenna

Fourth: How much time are you prepared to spend messing around in a terminal?

For having things set up out of the box, I think Ubuntu Studio (that's what I'm on) or AVLinux are the obvious choices.

As far as your interface, it looks like you're in luck - it's class-compliant, so it should comparatively straightforward to get running. You won't be able to use TotalMix or the internal DSP though.

https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/hw/rme_babyface
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Yeah I'd have mentioned "fourth" but I was waiting for a reply. And I didn't expect I'd be recommending Arch to him.

I just poked around to see what I could find about the Babyface, and yes as Lokasenna said: since you need to use "class-compliant mode" to use it in Linux, you can't use the Linux HDSPmixer for RME devices (which is similar to TotalMix) in Linux. Even if you could use HDSPmixer, that wouldn't allow you to use any onboard DSP anyway.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 06-25-2019 at 02:52 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:42 AM   #5
ivansc

Interesting read chaps and thanks for the advice. Busy wekk coming up but I did slap Ubuntu Studio 18.04 on last night but wont have time to really thrash it much trill next week. Great to be able to use an old computer up. This one all I have had to do is put a bigger hard drive that I had lying about in it & replace the DVD drive which works but wont open and close without a paperclip in the little hole & then its a crap shoot if it sees the dvd or not. Bought a refurb for £10.

I am planning on leaving this machine in our house in france for when I visit. |Or using it in the UK as a linux learning tool...
Old 06-28-2019, 12:53 AM   #6
sub26nico

ivansc, if you can deal with French (iirc you are ), take a look at LibraZiK distro (link in my signatutre)