Old 11-08-2021, 01:34 AM   #1
Dogbox
Human being with feelings

Default Traktor kontrol f1- - newb

Hi guys, I just got hold of this unit on loan (maybe permanently) from a brother-in-law. Still a bit confused with all the terminology..aologies. Took me 2 days to figure out how to get it functioning, turms out i needed NI "Controller Editor" software installed, that allowed me to put it in midi controller mode. Was able to assign some coloured leds to pads in that software, then assign a few basic actions here in Reaper.
so far got ....
turn on track monitor/record mode
play
stop
record
volume on fader
pan on rotary
Its a very cumbersom process here in Reaper becusse there are so many actions and i have have no idea what most of them do. Was wondering if anyone knows of a way to create a midi map file in control editor, export and import into reaper to speed up the process, Also if anyone has advice on common actions that people assign to pads and rotary dials etc, Love to hear suggestion, or possibilities of what you can do with a midi controller. Or if you can point me in the direction of some information
cheers in advance
steve
Dogbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #2
bobco631
Human being with feelings

I've got one of these units as well , Traktor F1 , four faders , lots of pads and colors etc , its pretty well made and with Traktor of course it's quite intuitive and flexible , bought a template from midi monsters to do some remixing and stuff , it's fun to play with , can be handy with a laptop and Traktor to serve as event music , awards show stuff , gala events , I used to do a lot of AV , it was handy .
I use mine mainly now with Gig Performer 4 , a handy way to adjust a few items on the fly , tweak this and that , change presets .
The Controller Editor you mention is of course required at all times to activate it and load templates , which are really just note on off , and or CC values , toggle , gate , one shot sort of things .
It has two layers basic and shift so of course you can get a lot of traction out of it , however .

How are you able to recall what goes where with pure mental recall ? The same old song and dance for me : get into it , spend hours programming moves and get somewhere , leave it for a week or three and return to it scratching your head , what did I do here again? I make pdf's in Mac Preview to help recall colours and mapped items etc , but you can only hold so much in the ol' buffer. Gotta keep it simple , just a few for this and that . You could use the CSI plugin to map it to any Reaper action etc , and the FB state with colors all that , but it's likely faster just associating plain old midi with action command id's , simple and direct, just my two cents.

Cheers
bobco631 is offline   Reply With Quote