Old 05-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #41
Amberience
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Hey Amberience,

I came from Nuendo and do a lot of multi-mic recording and was looking for a good comping solution as well. I think I came up with one. Insofar as choosing different takes in sync across multiple mics... I also came up with a solution.

This video was done a long time ago to share with a buddy of mine who was also looking into comping across multiple tracks in Sync. Maybe this will help... 3:15 and on may be what you find of interest.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiix8jsbzx...-fade.mp4?dl=0

P.S. This was way before V6... so apologies for the retro skin

Cheers,

Andrew K

Hey man, that's a cool video. I like your crossfade script idea, I've been doing it manually because I'm a dunce! Other than that, this workflow pretty much is how I am working right now. I think the thing I'd like to speed up is cutting a snippet of audio in order to punch in another take. That's the bit I want to be quicker.

So say I just need to take a snare hit from take 11, but the rest of the take needs to be take 2... what I do right now is place the edit cursor at the start point... slice the group... place it at the end point.. slice the group... then select the newly edited mini-chunk and start cycling through takes... then I do my crossfades manually.

It's a bit of a ballache tbh! But undoubtedly there's some magic to the workflow in Reaper that I am missing.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #42
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
Hey man, that's a cool video. I like your crossfade script idea, I've been doing it manually because I'm a dunce! Other than that, this workflow pretty much is how I am working right now. I think the thing I'd like to speed up is cutting a snippet of audio in order to punch in another take. That's the bit I want to be quicker.

So say I just need to take a snare hit from take 11, but the rest of the take needs to be take 2... what I do right now is place the edit cursor at the start point... slice the group... place it at the end point.. slice the group... then select the newly edited mini-chunk and start cycling through takes... then I do my crossfades manually.

It's a bit of a ballache tbh! But undoubtedly there's some magic to the workflow in Reaper that I am missing.
Hmmm... you may be recording in Lanes mode as opposed to Takes mode?
Old 05-30-2020, 05:59 PM   #43
Amberience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Hmmm... you may be recording in Lanes mode as opposed to Takes mode?
I believe I'm recording in regular takes mode - default Reaper settings. I didn't even know there was a lanes mode tbh!

The way this sort of thing works in Studio One (which is my other main daw) is you have a recording preference to put takes on layers. When you do that you can then do swipe comping very easily. It's not perfect though and has problems of its own.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #44
Mosaic Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
To be clear, I'm perfectly confident and content with the item+time selection method we have now, and don't really need it to change for anything I ever do.

I do however agree that if area selection is going to be a thing, we should be able to do with it anything that we could do to within a time selection. Just cut and copy is nowhere near enough.
Absolutely. Context-aware actions are a big part of the usefulness of an area selection feature. An area selection aware delete, area selection aware split, and of course, cut, copy, and paste would be, in my mind, the bare minimum for an area selection feature to feel like a completed feature.

What I'd love to see is sort of comprehensive, context-aware/smart actions, something like: Split selected items at edit cursor // Split all items at edges of area selection // add 4 automation points to area-selected automation lane // Split selected MIDI notes at edit cursor

Want to split a selected item? Click it and press S. Want to take one chord from a stereo-miked acoustic guitar and separate it? Area-select the chord's start and endpoints on both audio tracks, press S. Want to split and create a new section during automation? Area-select a section of the automation lane and press S. Etc.

Actions like that, which would behave differently depending on what was most recently selected (and if there's an area selection present or not) would be such a huge blessing for workflow and generally intuitive usability. "S always splits". "Del always deletes", rather than memorizing 4 different variations of the same key command. I can't imagine it'd be tremendously hard to implement either, since there are very similar scripts and actions that already exist for the older time selection feature. Heck, I even built my own smart split script for time selections, and I'm awful at scripting, haha.
Mosaic Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:25 PM   #45
ferropop

Agreed on all the context-aware stuff...it should at the very least match the Time Selection actions.

I have to say -- I have been FLYING with Area Selection in the past few days. I cannot believe how much faster this has made my production workflow. I've been (possibly by far) the most annoying/persistent person on the forums pushing for Area Selection, and can happily say even in its most infantile form (duplication/deletion) this is BEST thing to happen to Reaper in years.

Excited for it to all come together as a complete feature!
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #46
deeb

yes ! it's already very useful but still not pretty pretty pretty and clean
Hope they focus on the user experience and interface, this might take more time to implement really well but it is really worthy

--=============================================

- What you select is droppable if target is visible and if fits when dropping is what you get (no background magic like creating lanes and full flexibility and no limiting - since we know what we are doing when dropping)

- Area selection rows height adapt to existing tcp row height and not the opposite like current implementation, because Messing with TCP tracks height is very clumsy for eyes and brain and looks not right.

- when dragging to a different Y position or drag/drop copying, first make a ghost with transperant content with just the ouline border of the selected area and keep the Area selection in it's original position until we drop, so it let's us see what we are replacing while dragging and still able to see what we dragged in it's original position. And then after drop it, then yes, move the area selection to the new place.

This allows us to focus while dragging on what we will be replacing and still be able to see what we have selected in AS in it's original position.

- in this ghost transperant area content which appears while dragging gives us a sign if the place we are dragging over will be able to hold the content or not (if droppable)

And then keep an eye on integrating AS to substitute TS:

I am outside and this is speculation only but Time Selection will always exist and function like: GetSet_LoopTimeRange accept 2 types:
- loop
- non looped

Since the loop version will always have to exist (loop locators), If API for TS functions always get the looped version of time selection, everything can be back compatible

And so maybe non looped version of Time Selection on the GUI can be deleted and current time selection non looped version functionality can be dealt by Area Selection.

----
Also i don't like right clicking and drag modifier, but i have CTRL Emulates Right Click in modifiers, so i can do CTRL + ALT + Drag and do the AS and CTRL + ALT + Shift Drag to add more Areas to the selection. I think i would prefer has a mode, and so doing just drag and shift drag would accomplish same result while in this mode.

Last edited by deeb; 05-30-2020 at 11:19 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:37 AM   #47
Vagelis

And this addition would be great to have in the future, a comp tool with area selection to choose parts of the recorded takes without splitting

https://youtu.be/1S-2x0VdH1Y?t=425
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:37 AM   #48
puddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
And this addition would be great to have in the future, a comp tool with area selection to choose parts of the recorded takes without splitting

Studio One's comping really is a thing of beauty.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:55 AM   #49
Amberience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post

Yes that's what I'm referring to. It's pretty good. Another good thing is that you can put all those edits inside a container so that you can hide your edits and just look at it as a single item. It's pretty neat for reducing visual clutter.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #50
sonictim

Default Area Selection Left Drag Option

I'm sure this has probably been mentioned elsewhere, but I just wanted to +1 my support for having the option to be able to map an area selection to a left drag mouse modifier. Thanks!
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:36 AM   #51
n997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I *think* the discussion was about consolidating tools/workflows into a single "marque+area select." Think of Cubase for example: click and drag with the object selection tool just selects things. Those things can be cut, copied, pasted, duplicated or otherwise manipulated various ways.

At least, that's my guess as to what folks are looking for. Unified experience, unified set of actions/behaviors. Maybe a smarter tool.

That said, I think best thing would be to keep to the existing behavior as-is, and build up area selection over time so it can eventually replace the current appraoch so as not to mess with existing workflows/preferences.
I concur with this.

It should be possible for Area selection to set status of envelope points and items as "selected", for as long as that particular area selection exists.
In case of envelope points, it would apply to points within area selection; in case of items, it would apply to items fully or partially within area selection.

If this is doable, perhaps it could be realized as one of options in Mouse modifier settings:

"Create area selection" > "[v] Set items and points as selected"
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #52
IadAslan

Not happy that I'm the super-noob here but how the heck do I create an area selection in the first place? I'm on latest dev build (from yesterday) and I can't find anything in prefs, nor mouse modifiers, nor actions list? What am I missing here?
IadAslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #53
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IadAslan View Post
I'm on latest dev build (from yesterday)
Yesterday (in my timezone) was posted rc1 (i.e. release candidate 1) where AS isn't contained (edit: meaning it will not be in the v6.12 official version).
The build before is +dev0609 where you should see this:

Last edited by nofish; 06-11-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: pic replaced
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #54
IadAslan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Yesterday (in my timezone) was posted rc1 (i.e. release candidate 1) where AS isn't contained (edit: meaning it will not be in the v6.12 official version).
The build before is +dev0609 where you should see this:

Wow thank you!! I'll stay on that build until this is part of the official release!
IadAslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #55
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IadAslan View Post
Wow thank you!! I'll stay on that build until this is part of the official release!
I'd think that AS will still be in the next dev cycle(s).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #56
jayrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
I concur with this.

It should be possible for Area selection to set status of envelope points and items as "selected", for as long as that particular area selection exists.
In case of envelope points, it would apply to points within area selection; in case of items, it would apply to items fully or partially within area selection.

If this is doable, perhaps it could be realized as one of options in Mouse modifier settings:

"Create area selection" > "[v] Set items and points as selected"

I just want to drag my mouse over an item to select a part of it, then hit backspace to delete that part. Like in Pro Tools since version 3 Or Cubase.
Then autmatically apply a configurable fade out/in on the remaining bordering items.
This would save me hours of editing time in complex voice production,

along with an easy way to apply one crossfade (or fade in/out, when not overlapping) to all selected items.
jayrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #57
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrope View Post
I just want to drag my mouse over an item to select a part of it, then hit backspace to delete that part. Like in Pro Tools since version 3 Or Cubase.
Then autmatically apply a configurable fade out/in on the remaining bordering items.
This would save me hours of editing time in complex voice production,

along with an easy way to apply one crossfade (or fade in/out, when not overlapping) to all selected items.
1. select the item, make a time selection
2. use Shift S "Item: Split items at time selection"
3. Hit delete
Also you can join 2 and 3 in one custom action
Dont think it needs an area selection for that....may have misunderstand you
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrope View Post

Isn't just select all items and adjust crossfade holding shift?
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:42 AM   #58
Win Conway

So what exactly does area selection do ?
Simple terms here please, because I have never had any issues selecting anything in Reaper before.
So whats the big deal ?
Old 06-20-2020, 03:49 AM   #59
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Simple terms here please, because I have never had any issues selecting anything in Reaper before.
So whats the big deal ?
TLDR, you can use it to carve a smiley face into a dense project and then move it all at once
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:01 AM   #60
vitalker

Quote:
So whats the big deal ?
You can create complex selections, which are not possible with time selection due to its design limits.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:04 AM   #61
planetnine

It’s like Marquee select, except that it only selects the area of items that it encloses, not the whole of any items it touches. Then, when you drag it, it auto splits, and allows drag+drop moving or copying, stretching, etc.

It allows the same manipulation with Envelope items as Media items. The exact functionality bounds and capabilities of this is presently being moulded and tested.

It won’t necessarily give any actual functionality increase (although that is being pushed, here), rather a more direct path between user editing task and its achievement -ie less thinking and more doing. The complaint for existing workflows is that you have to pretty much manually select and cut parts individually rather than the AS ethos which is to “just grab it and move/copy it”. It should result in a more visual, direct, logical and “conventional” editing workflow.

I’m sure I’ve missed some essential aspect in this, which will be corrected in due course

Edit: ^^ before I got there

>
Old 06-20-2020, 04:20 AM   #62
vitalker

Quote:
So whats the big deal ?
It's not only about selecting. You should check how it looks like in Cubase or Studio one.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #63
jayrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
1. select the item, make a time selection
2. use Shift S "Item: Split items at time selection"
3. Hit delete
Also you can join 2 and 3 in one custom action
Dont think it needs an area selection for that....may have misunderstand you

Isn't just select all items and adjust crossfade holding shift?
Bravo and thank you. #2 had escaped my attention. And: If i can combine #2 and #3, then probably the crossfading fits in there as well. Gosh, i love Reaper.
jayrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #64
Sexan

The most done action that people are trying to do:

Select multiple envelopes at once and paste or delete or duplicate

Select multiple envelopes across different tracks and do whatever

Select anything and do something in one go without 123123 actions/scripts
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #65
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
It’s like Marquee select, except that it only selects the area of items that it encloses, not the whole of any items it touches. Then, when you drag it, it auto splits, and allows drag+drop moving or copying, stretching, etc.

It allows the same manipulation with Envelope items as Media items. The exact functionality bounds and capabilities of this is presently being moulded and tested.

It won’t necessarily give any actual functionality increase (although that is being pushed, here), rather a more direct path between user editing task and its achievement -ie less thinking and more doing. The complaint for existing workflows is that you have to pretty much manually select and cut parts individually rather than the AS ethos which is to “just grab it and move/copy it”. It should result in a more visual, direct, logical and “conventional” editing workflow.

I’m sure I’ve missed some essential aspect in this, which will be corrected in due course

Edit: ^^ before I got there

>
Ahhh OK, somethimg I would not use often, sounds like it would just slow me down, im very very picky with my editing, so I will stick to how I do it now.

This reminds me of the stretch markers vs slip edit for drums thing, one is much much quicker, the other is old, out of date, not flashy, and sounds a ton better to me personally haha.

I can maybe see a use for pulling a snare or something, but I dont really have an issue doing that right now either.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #66
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post

I only use AI, took me ten years campaigning to get them lol
Old 06-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #67
mccrabney

Quote:
I only use AI, took me ten years campaigning to get them lol
same - so it might help you to know that getting AI to move predictably is one of the main reasons i'll be using AS.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:09 AM   #68
vitalker

Just check Sexan's script: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219705
Old 06-21-2020, 05:09 AM   #69
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
same - so it might help you to know that getting AI to move predictably is one of the main reasons i'll be using AS.
Yeah you must be doing something much more advanced than me, I move AI just fine.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #70
mccrabney

Quote:
Yeah you must be doing something much more advanced than me, I move AI just fine.
i doubt it, i've seen you 'round the watering hole

moving AI has improved in the last year, but you may remember issues where AI that trailed off the end of items (usecase: controlling reverb, delay, etc) didn't move predictably with underlying items. TLDR too much hinged on the "env points move with items" option and not "is the object selected?"

AS sidesteps a lot of that. if i remember, next time i am testing and have a really good AS demo licecap, i'll send you a PM link to it
Old 06-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #71
joshxtra

Just discovered the latest dev-builds and GOD do I love AS already!

One Thing that hasn't been mentioned yet:
AS should also work together with the nudge tool. This would be extremely handy for quickly editing tightness of multi-miked instruments.

Also lots of love for the contextual all-knowing split tool!
joshxtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #72
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshxtra View Post
AS should also work together with the nudge tool. This would be extremely handy for quickly editing tightness of multi-miked instruments.
Ask for it in dev builds threads and take part in pre-release testing.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #73
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post

Yes.

And some stuff mentioned in this request.
https://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=843
Or envelope groups.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....143#post752143
Old 06-23-2020, 04:34 AM   #74
pepe44

Dont know if this is already asked but could be a good solution.
Making auto area selection when using the Auto trim /split for a visualization of the area that is going to be removed / splitted from the media item. I would see great use for this implementation.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #75
sonictim

Default AREA ITEMS

Using mouse modifiers, I learned there was a way you could create multiple areas, but eventually, they go away. It would be amazing if you could lock, or leave behind area selections. Similar to "automation items" they could be "area items" and could be similar in function to protools "clip groups". As I use clip groups quite a bit in protools, it think this could be a very useful feature!
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:51 AM   #76
anomar

Default Fade inserted at the end of copied area !?!

Hi,
It is supposed that when you copy an area that has no fade-in or fade-out inside it your copy will be exactly what you are seeing, but...if at the end or start of that item(s) there is some fade, that fade is applied to your copy, it is very strange. (Those fades are outside your selected area, why should they be applied ?)
Otherwise if you split that area before make the copy everything happens as expected.
This is a very old issue.
Using Sexan Area Selection that behaviour is not happening, wyswyg !

Thanks for any comments.
anomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #77
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomar View Post
Hi,
It is supposed that when you copy an area that has no fade-in or fade-out inside it your copy will be exactly what you are seeing, but...if at the end or start of that item(s) there is some fade, that fade is applied to your copy, it is very strange. (Those fades are outside your selected area, why should they be applied ?)
Otherwise if you split that area before make the copy everything happens as expected.
This is a very old issue.
Using Sexan Area Selection that behaviour is not happening, wyswyg !

Thanks for any comments.
Maybe you could post a licecap ! It seems not desired
Old 07-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #78
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictim View Post
Using mouse modifiers, I learned there was a way you could create multiple areas, but eventually, they go away. It would be amazing if you could lock, or leave behind area selections. Similar to "automation items" they could be "area items" and could be similar in function to protools "clip groups". As I use clip groups quite a bit in protools, it think this could be a very useful feature!
Is it not easier to simply use grouped items for that? That's very much what clip groups are in protools.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #79
anomar

Default LiceCap - Fade inserted at the end of copied area !?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Maybe you could post a licecap ! It seems not desired
Follows a licecap.
In the area to be copied there is no fade !
anomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #80
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomar View Post
Follows a licecap.
In the area to be copied there is no fade !
Obrigado! Please Post it in the pre , I guess it will be fixed .