Old 02-28-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Default Split at Spectral Peaks .. ?

I just fiddled around with Spectral Peaks on a drumloop.
Really amazing.
The distinctive kick, snare, and hat hits are really visible in a detailed way.
Each type of sound having its own color : COOL !

Now, makes me wonder if a feature like "Split at Spectral Peaks" in the end would be possible.
Cause i think this way would be way more accurate and faster than first having to fiddle around with transient guides / transient sensitivity window and then making split at transients.
I just have not that great experiences with this kind of transient detection > split at transients - workflow, altough i know exactly how it works.

Opinions ?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
mschnell

Sounds like a very usable feature.

I'm not sure if the time resolution of of the peak-file is exact enough. I suppose the "dynamic split" does not use the peak file information, but the audio stream itself. (Otherwise it would be faster.)

OTOH enhancing "dynamaic split" by a decent filter (or whatever) might be helpful.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-28-2017 at 02:30 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #3
planetnine

I'm sure Justin put some code in this forum to show how the peak files frequency could be read -eg to allow placing cursor at next instance of a frequency, etc...

>
Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
vanhaze

Yeah, would be great !
Old 02-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
planetnine

Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Here's a bit of lua which can query the pitch/tonality for the first selected item at the current edit cursor position (no non-essential error checking is done):

Code:
item = reaper.GetSelectedMediaItem(0,0);
take = reaper.GetMediaItemTake(item,0);
nch = reaper.GetMediaSourceNumChannels(reaper.GetMediaItemTake_Source(take));

ns = 1;
buf = reaper.new_array(ns*3*nch);
rv = reaper.GetMediaItemTake_Peaks(take,1000.0, reaper.GetCursorPosition(),nch,ns,115,buf);
if rv & (1<<24) and (rv&0xfffff) > 0 then
  spl = buf[nch*ns*2 + 1];
  reaper.MB(string.format("Pitch: %d Hz, tonality %f",spl&0x7fff,(spl>>15)/16384.0),"hi",0);
end

>
Old 03-01-2017, 12:04 AM   #6
vanhaze

Hey P9,

Thank you for helping me.

However, i am confused what that code exactly does and how to use it and how it is exactly related to my FR about splitting at (self choosen) spectral peak colors.

Sorry for looking stupid :0)
Old 03-01-2017, 01:55 AM   #7
planetnine

You could make a script action to "Go to next instance of chosen frequency (colour)" or even "Split at next instance of chosen frequency (colour)" based on Justin's code to query the freq at a position.

Just an idea towards your spit at spectral peaks notion, if you were feeling adventurous I might take a look if you're not

>
Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #8
Javier Robledo

Hi I Tried to save the reascript and tells me that there's something wrong ...

Another thing...

- Do you know if there's an option for prevent peak in all track by default and just enable the tracks we want in pre-Track options ?¿

Thanks ¡¡
Attached Images
File Type: png Captura de pantalla (2).png (53.3 KB, 254 views)
Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
NextLevel

Go for it p9!

Here is what I sort of envision...

A GUI with little "swatch squares" that would get populated with the same colors of the spectral peaks. Next to each one of these swatches there would be a radio button that the user could tick for including it as a split position. The script would then aggregate each position and when you click apply it would move the edit cursor to each position and add a split.

If you wanted to get real fancy with it you could maybe include a window that would show the waveform based on either currently selected item or based on time selection range. Inside this graphic there would be verticle lines showing where each split would occur.

... anyway just some ideas.

Cheers

P.S. Some other ideas would be options for adding any of the following instead of/or along with splitting (project markers, tempo markers, stretch markers)

Last edited by NextLevel; 03-01-2017 at 08:06 AM.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #10
Javier Robledo

Heda was working in something similar for ultra fast de-essing using based in Spectral peaks

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...19#post1785319
Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecl View Post
Hi I Tried to save the reascript and tells me that there's something wrong ...

Does that mean there's something wrong in line2 of your script? that shouldn't balk at that line -what have you done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
Go for it p9!

Here is what I sort of envision...

A GUI with little "swatch squares" that would get populated with the same colors of the spectral peaks. Next to each one of these swatches there would be a radio button that the user could tick for including it as a split position. The script would then aggregate each position and when you click apply it would move the edit cursor to each position and add a split.

If you wanted to get real fancy with it you could maybe include a window that would show the waveform based on either currently selected item or based on time selection range. Inside this graphic there would be verticle lines showing where each split would occur.

... anyway just some ideas.

Cheers

P.S. Some other ideas would be options for adding any of the following instead of/or along with splitting (project markers, tempo markers, stretch markers)

Let me get some basic stuff going and I'll see what I can do...

>
Old 06-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #12
permeke

any progress on this ,
permeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #13
permeke

eagerly waiting
permeke is offline   Reply With Quote