Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #1
p_wats
Human being with feelings

Default Issues with Reaper and Plugin Alliance

Anyone every have extremely slow load times when loading a plugin from Plugin Alliance in Reaper (Windows 10)?

I've used some of their plugins for years without issue, but recently I have been having problems (opening a project hangs if a PA plugin has been used, adding a new instance of a PA plugin freezes Reaper for a few minutes).

I've given PA support details of the issue and tried different methods of authorizing their plugins, but to no avail.

They claim this is a known issue, but they can't reproduce it on their end and don't have a solution.

The only workarounds that help are:

a) running Reaper as an administrator (shouldn't have to do this and it also means I can't drag and drop files into Reaper)

b) Turning off my computer's internet connection while loading a new project or adding a new PA plugin instance (also not idea, as how am I supposed to get distracted by Youtube videos when I should be mixing?)

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Last edited by p_wats; 08-27-2021 at 07:55 AM.
p_wats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:15 AM   #2
CEAudioDesign

YES?! Im running into this as well now did you manage to fix this at all? The same is happening for waves plugins!
CEAudioDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:53 AM   #3
pcp

It sounds like a firewall issue perhaps? Try downloading an offline license, PA offline is commendably quick and easy and authorises all your plugins in one go. In a DAW I find it is best not to have plugins calling home in any case as that is a potential source of dpc latency, especially if your firewall is kicking in.
pcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:27 AM   #4
CEAudioDesign

Tried an offline license but to no avail, I am on a work PC so it could be to do with IT restriction issues. Super frustrating
Old 11-30-2021, 08:06 AM   #5
pcp

That's strange - so it's still trying to access the internet even with the offline licence? I use offline licences and PA definitely doesn't make connection attempts. Did you uninstall fully before reinstalling with the offline licence?
I would also check if it's an antivirus flagging the files? Doesn't happen with Windows Defender but if you have some outre corporate AV it could well cause this issue, and I guess it'll be difficult for you to exclude your plugins, samples and REAPER folder from real-time scanning (which is well worth always doing). Portable install could be worth trying if you're in a locked down system?
pcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
CEAudioDesign

It seems so, I've deleted everything to do with PA plugs that I could see, they don't seem to have a great uninstall method at all. There support "Delete everything in the folders". I've got a ticket in with our IT department, to add exceptions but we'll just have to see. Its happening on Waves plugins aswell, hence why I think its a anti virus issue as they use propriety online authentication
Old 11-30-2021, 10:38 AM   #7
p_wats

I had two support threads with PA where I tried everything, including offline registration. I've also tested with disabling Windows Defender to no avail (personal computer with no corporate firewall/anti-virus).

In the end they said "This is a known issue on some systems for which we haven't found the cause yet".

Basically, all I can do is either run Reaper as an admin or toggle wifi off when loading PA plugins (or load a project and go get a coffee while it hangs for a while).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEAudioDesign View Post
YES?! Im running into this as well now did you manage to fix this at all? The same is happening for waves plugins!
I don't have any Waves plugins, so I can't verify if it's the same issue. No fix yet though, unfortunately!
Old 01-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #8
p_wats

For what's it worth, this seems to be fixed now (I haven't made any changes on my end, but maybe they figured something out on the authorization side?).
Old 01-03-2022, 02:24 AM   #9
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Glad to hear it is working now, although it would be good to know what solved it.

I haven't had this issue with Plugin Alliance but I am having this issue with Waves.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:03 AM   #10
martmix

i have this problems with SSD5 and amplitube
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:09 PM   #11
bigbone

Can't open my Plugin Alliance with Reaper on my MAC.try everything
and can't open it. Anybody can help.

thank you
bigbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:24 PM   #12
ramses

Softube plugins are ridiculously slow on my machine... Loading and unloading.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote