Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-29-2021, 07:24 AM   #1
inoto
Human being with feelings

Default Measuring Latency (RTL) in Reaper, WASAPI modes...

I'm trying to measure my Realtek sound card's WASAPI round-trip latency using Reaper, with one track for playback and the other for recording (with a loopback cable on my motherboard).
There are two general issues/questions:

1. The results, at least when using WASAPI shared, are not consistent with the results in Oblique Audio's RTL Utility.
I already disabled the "Use audio driver reported latency". Is there something else that I need to disable, to make sure Reaper is not changing the latency?

2. Is there a way to select the "Windows Audio (Low Latency Mode)" mode that can be selected in the RTL Utility?
From a brief observation, it seems that it probably gets enabled if I keep the RTL Utility open with this mode selected before starting Reaper. Despite being low latency, it's a shared WASAPI mode, so both apps can use it. But again, the latency results differ between Reaper and the RTL Utility, so I'd like to know what's going on.
inoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #2
domzy

Doesn't shared mode mean that multiple apps are using the hardware? I'm not sure i would expect consistent performance if other apps can interfere?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #3
pepe44

Are you running the tests on a laptop? make sure its set to high performance, battery and different settings might affect the way everything works.

Check this article:
https://www.donyaquick.com/minimizin...0-with-wasapi/
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
Stella645

Don't the recent versions of RTL utility have a warning dialogue saying to avoid testing with windows drivers and only use ASIO?

That suggests to me they know it will not necessarily be accurate.

If you can measure and repeat with near identical results in Reaper this is your real world result. What would it matter what result you get outside of the DAW.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
inoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
Are you running the tests on a laptop? make sure its set to high performance, battery and different settings might affect the way everything works.
Thanks, but no, it's not a laptop and switching to high performance doesn't help.

Anyway, the results are pretty consistent in the RTL Utility, but not as consistent in Reaper. And there's always a significant difference in RTL between these two apps even though the settings look the same — although Reaper only has one WASAPI shared mode, whereas the RTL Utility has two.

As I said, it looks like I can "enable" the Low Latency shared WASAPI mode in Reaper by using it in the RTL Utility first.
It would be nice if this mode was accessible in Reaper directly. I guess I should post it in the Feature Request section.

But I'm also just curious about how it all works.

This is a very specific topic and I don't expect most people to know or care about it. But I do.
inoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoto View Post

This is a very specific topic and I don't expect most people to know or care about it. But I do.
I'd think that once most people get to the point of caring about measuring RTL they also care about using an interface with a decent ASIO driver.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote