Old 08-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #41
lb0
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Lovely devs (Stevie????)

Don't suppose there's any chance smart knobs 2 will remember any of the settings made with smart knobs 1 is there?
Hi, Sadly templates created with SK1 will not be compatible with SK2. SK1 templates are missing most of the information required to map reliably to a particular control in SK2.

This is mainly because users mapped their own controllers to the faderbox in SK1 - and so SK2 will not have any of this information available in order to map parameters to the correct controls in SK2 as it uses a completely different method of communication with the controller.

Hope this doesn't cause too much of a downer for you with this release. I have (hopefully) made it very quick and easy to map plugin parameters

The release is getting very close (as is the end of the month which I gave as the deadline! :|) - I'm working on documentation for setting SK2 up - once that's done I'll release it... Obviously - I'm still working on it in all my spare time - and the amount of spare time I have fluctuates - but I'm still aiming to hit that deadline - or at least very close to it...
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #42
Amparitoo

thank you ibo your efforts are very grateful! nothing happens, if you have had to program everything again, I don't think it bothers us too much to re-map it. waiting for late August or early September to start trying it out.
Amparitoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #43
buschag

Default Extender

As an xtouch user will there be the ability to use an extender easily? Or is it more of a single controller setup? Can’t wait.
buschag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:01 AM   #44
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschag View Post
As an xtouch user will there be the ability to use an extender easily? Or is it more of a single controller setup? Can’t wait.
Yes - I have both XTouch and an XT Extender set up. You can officially connect 4 different controllers.

A quick note on the XTouch though - in order to use the coloured scribble strips you need to have it in XCtl mode - but XCtl mode only works via the MIDI ports (and ethernet) - but not USB. So you would need to connect the XTouch to a midi interface by either the MIDI ports or ethernet port.

The Extender works fine using the USB connection.

But if your controller's are programmable (unlike the XTouch) - then there's potential to use >4 controllers (by combining multiple controllers into a single control map - ensuring none of the MIDI messages for each control overlap - ie. each control must use a unique midi message).
Old 08-24-2021, 02:08 AM   #45
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Hi, Sadly templates created with SK1 will not be compatible with SK2. SK1 templates are missing most of the information required to map reliably to a particular control in SK2.

This is mainly because users mapped their own controllers to the faderbox in SK1 - and so SK2 will not have any of this information available in order to map parameters to the correct controls in SK2 as it uses a completely different method of communication with the controller.

Hope this doesn't cause too much of a downer for you with this release. I have (hopefully) made it very quick and easy to map plugin parameters

The release is getting very close (as is the end of the month which I gave as the deadline! :|) - I'm working on documentation for setting SK2 up - once that's done I'll release it... Obviously - I'm still working on it in all my spare time - and the amount of spare time I have fluctuates - but I'm still aiming to hit that deadline - or at least very close to it...
Hell no - no downer at all!!!!!! Was just adding mappings to sk1 and thought "should I maybe hang on adding any more till sk2" :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:15 AM   #46
mozart999uk

Quote:
Y

A quick note on the XTouch though - in order to use the coloured scribble strips you need to have it in XCtl mode - but XCtl mode only works via the MIDI ports (and ethernet) - but not USB. So you would need to connect the XTouch to a midi interface by either the MIDI ports or ethernet port.

Thanks for this info. I was just thinking about buying the xtouch for when SK2 comes out but I don't have any more midi sockets free. How does it work over ethernet? Is it reliable? I have a script to turn my internet on and off on the PC which basically is just a batch script that (to turn off) changes the DNS of the network connector to 2.2.2.2. I wonder if activating that (and toggling back and forth during the day ) would mean I lose connection to the x touch? It sometimes gives my networked printer a headache :-)

Guess I could just buy a USB - midi interface
Old 08-24-2021, 04:02 AM   #47
mozart999uk

Ha me again! More questions.

I understand that the x touch doesn't have a midi CC mode.

I was wondering if it would be possible to map the jog shuttle wheel to scroll up / down like the mouse wheel?

Would that be possible within SK2?
Old 08-24-2021, 04:53 AM   #48
Amparitoo

Quote:
Ha me again! More questions.

I understand that the x touch doesn't have a midi CC mode.

I was wondering if it would be possible to map the jog shuttle wheel to scroll up / down like the mouse wheel?

Would that be possible within SK2?
I see you very impatient, hahaha Why will it be ?? Let poor Ibo work, surely all the questions will be well documented in the document he is preparing for us

Now you also want to buy an x-touch ?? do you work in a bank ?? or have you thought of docking one. jajjaa

It's all a joke
Old 08-24-2021, 06:12 AM   #49
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amparitoo View Post
I see you very impatient, hahaha Why will it be ?? Let poor Ibo work, surely all the questions will be well documented in the document he is preparing for us

Now you also want to buy an x-touch ?? do you work in a bank ?? or have you thought of docking one. jajjaa

It's all a joke
Ha! You are right. I should give him some peace. I got a bit over excited :-)

My x touch will be replacing my MFT.....hopefully :-)
Old 08-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #50
Amparitoo

midi fighter twister? this is the midi controller that will give me away, right? then it takes a while to buy the beghringer x-touch
Old 08-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #51
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amparitoo View Post
midi fighter twister? this is the midi controller that will give me away, right? then it takes a while to buy the beghringer x-touch
I'm not sure about "give" ;-)
Old 08-28-2021, 02:09 AM   #52
Amparitoo

Quote:
I'm not sure about "give" ;-)
Have you already ordered the x-touch? There is less and less to finish the month and theoretically the launch is approaching, to see if it will catch him off guard. You don't have to give me anything, I'm willing to pay for the transportation costs, hahaha
Old 08-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #53
lb0

Hi all,

Just to let you know - I'm still working hard on some documentation - and don't mean to be quiet on this thread.

The docs I'm working on (video and pdf) are a getting started guide. They won't yet dive into everything that SK2 can do - but will provide an essential starting point for getting SK2 up and running, and getting an understanding of how it works. I'm well underway with these now.

I'll answer further questions once I've got these done and SK2 is released. I highly doubt it will be today (I know I previously promised the end of the month - sorry!) - but workloads have been pretty high here so I've not had as much time to work on SK2 docs as I'd hoped. It will be ASAP and will definitely be sooner rather than later.

Without these docs I'd end up spending my entire life answering questions on how to get it up and running - which I'd like to avoid as much as possible.

So please keep an eye on this thread...
Old 08-30-2021, 01:40 PM   #54
Amparitoo

no problem, take the time, more would be needed. here we are bored and make joking comments. you calm down. on the other hand, i still have to uninstall knobs version 1, hahaha health
Old 08-30-2021, 05:10 PM   #55
SeanTypedThis

Appreciate the update and all of the hard work!

Still looking forward to this greatly, and still hope you're taking all the time you need.

Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2021, 02:08 AM   #56
mozart999uk

Quote:
Hi all,

Just to let you know - I'm still working hard on some documentation - and don't mean to be quiet on this thread.

The docs I'm working on (video and pdf) are a getting started guide. They won't yet dive into everything that SK2 can do - but will provide an essential starting point for getting SK2 up and running, and getting an understanding of how it works. I'm well underway with these now.

I'll answer further questions once I've got these done and SK2 is released. I highly doubt it will be today (I know I previously promised the end of the month - sorry!) - but workloads have been pretty high here so I've not had as much time to work on SK2 docs as I'd hoped. It will be ASAP and will definitely be sooner rather than later.

Without these docs I'd end up spending my entire life answering questions on how to get it up and running - which I'd like to avoid as much as possible.

Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to it. :-)
Old 09-04-2021, 07:38 PM   #57
_TIP_

Quote:
Hi all,

After seeing this post I went straight on Ebay and bought a Behringer MOTÖR 49 Keyboard (I wish I could get the X-Touch), now I'm waiting like everybody else for the big release day. lb0, please take your time to finish this master piece and don't bother with us, we are just all excited!!!
_TIP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:35 AM   #58
buschag

Just thought I’d drop in to see how things are going? So…. How’s it going?
Old 09-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #59
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschag View Post
Just thought I’d drop in to see how things are going? So…. How’s it going?
I know I know I know, nothing is more bothersome to me at the moment than getting SK2 out the door.

Time is zipping by too quickly - and I'm not getting enough done what with other parts of life providing unexpected hurdles.

I have got a 'basics' tutorial video draft done - which needs a couple of tweaks but otherwise is good.

I also have done the control map creator usage video.

And a few other documents are also ready to go... So closer than I was a few weeks back - a couple of tweaks to the videos which I will attempt to get done this week. Then it's just organizing everything ready for release...

So like I said before - nearly there - but I understand I've broken a number of release data promises recently - so do not want to promise anymore... Nearly there is all I can say
Old 09-21-2021, 08:43 AM   #60
buschag

It’s all good. No need to apologize. I was just thinking maybe you forgot to hit the send button to send it to the interwebz. Hahaha. We’re waiting patiently so take your time. 🍻
Old 09-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #61
SeanTypedThis

Thanks for the update, thanks for even taking on this amazing project in the first place (along with all of the other amazing things you've done already)! Hope it's not getting in the way of too many life things, but to echo everyone else, take all the time you need and take as much care as you see fit!

Besides, I'm sure most of us are used to waiting much longer for less feature rich things that we have to actually purchase, haha...novel concept in the REAPER world, I know....
Old 10-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #62
lb0

Default SK2 Released !

It's out... I will post more tomorrow

But feel free to read the manual on my Github...

Please note - you may need to download the manual before opening it - as Github doesn't play nicely with the hyperlinks.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #63
cjewellstudios

Quote:
It's out... I will post more tomorrow

But feel free to read the manual on my Github...

Please note - you may need to download the manual before opening it - as Github doesn't play nicely with the hyperlinks.
Yahooooooo

Excited to dig in
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:51 PM   #64
buschag

Thinking I should leave work early to go check it out.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:59 AM   #65
_Stevie_

Here is a link to the SK2 Manual.

Here is a link to the SK2 Setup Video.

Here is a link to the SK2 The Basics Tutorial.

Here is a link to the SK2 Control Map Creator Tutorial.

Enjoy!!
Old 10-16-2021, 01:00 AM   #66
lb0

Please let us know how you get on. The setup procedure may seem a little daunting at first - mainly if you need to create a control map for your controller (if you don't have an XTouch or Extender).

Any questions - please ask. We've worked hard on the manual - but that will grow over time - so although we've tried to cover everything - we will be adding more detail and more videos are in the works.

Once it's up and running properly - We're confident it will become a big part of your workflow.

It's only really been tested on XTouch's, and a few other similar surfaces (An old Project Mix IO, and SSL Nucleus). I haven't been able to include the Nucleus control maps - because the Nucleus is completely reprogrammable - so the setup of the Nucleus would need to be the same as the ones used by our testers - but I would be able to provide this for anyone who uses a Nucleus).

I'd be very interested to hear how it works with other devices - or if it requires tweaks to make it work with certain devices. The current hardware requirements are listed in the manual.

Like I said, once initial setup has been made - the only complexity remaining
is learning how the assignment maps/layers work.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #67
Shuba

Default Error Message

Hi LB0, thanks for all your work on this, I'm excited to get it up and running. I've successfully run the installation script, but when I try to run SK2 itself I get the following error message:

...v\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\LBX\LBX_SmartK nobs2.lua:26413: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (field 'dcount')

Let me know if this isn't the right forum to be bringing these kind of issues up, but I'd really appreciate it if you could shed some light on this situation. I'm running Windows 10, Reaper 6.37. Thank you for putting all this together.
Shuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #68
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuba View Post
Hi LB0, thanks for all your work on this, I'm excited to get it up and running. I've successfully run the installation script, but when I try to run SK2 itself I get the following error message:

...v\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\LBX\LBX_SmartK nobs2.lua:26413: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (field 'dcount')

Let me know if this isn't the right forum to be bringing these kind of issues up, but I'd really appreciate it if you could shed some light on this situation. I'm running Windows 10, Reaper 6.37. Thank you for putting all this together.
Hi Shuba,

Yep - this is the correct place to report any bugs

I'm investigating now...

Cheers,
L.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #69
lb0

Quote:

Hi again Shuba,

Hopefully fixed that bug. Please download the zip file again and reinstall. Please can you let me know if the bug appears fixed.

Cheers,
L.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #70
Shuba

LB0, thank you! Bug is fixed, I have it up and running and I'm getting the hang of things. The basics video is very instructive. I've set up a global generic mixer map using the track offset function. Only strange thing is that I'm having trouble toggling the select, mute, solo, record buttons on the extract. All the buttons are set up in toggle mode in the mapper, and I am able to select/mute/solo/arm recording, but unable to deselect/unmute/unsolo/unarm...
Old 10-17-2021, 10:05 PM   #71
_TIP_

Default Behringer Motor 49 Keyboard

Hey lb0, I'm currently using a Behringer MOTOR 49 keyboard, do you have an idea how to get both, control and keyboard functionality with your script? In the instructions it says to enable it only as a controller... Thank you so much for this masterpiece, I hope to be able to get it to work soon!
_TIP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:20 AM   #72
lb0

Quote:
LB0, thank you! Bug is fixed, I have it up and running and I'm getting the hang of things. The basics video is very instructive. I've set up a global generic mixer map using the track offset function. Only strange thing is that I'm having trouble toggling the select, mute, solo, record buttons on the extract. All the buttons are set up in toggle mode in the mapper, and I am able to select/mute/solo/arm recording, but unable to deselect/unmute/unsolo/unarm...
Hi Shuba,

That's a bit annoying. Could you please let me know what hardware controller you are using?

Thanks,
Leon.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:24 AM   #73
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TIP_ View Post
Hey lb0, I'm currently using a Behringer MOTOR 49 keyboard, do you have an idea how to get both, control and keyboard functionality with your script? In the instructions it says to enable it only as a controller... Thank you so much for this masterpiece, I hope to be able to get it to work soon!
Hi TIP,

You need to instruct SK2 to ignore/pass-through certain messages.

In the Control Map Creator - on the Additional Data tab - there's a box where you can set this. It's not been fully tested (only quickly by me) - so please let me know if it works properly

Obviously - once set - recreate the control map - then in SK2 - re-build the setup (Settings - Create Setup).

Link to part of video where this is mentioned:

https://youtu.be/stvFjGjOcMY?t=385

Cheers,
Leon.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:42 AM   #74
reapero

wow its a bit overwhelming, but i am not the smartest guy around for sure!

I´ll trt to go thru the long video whenever i have some minutes.

Yhanksd for the hard work! This looks impressive!
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:42 AM   #75
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapero View Post
wow its a bit overwhelming, but i am not the smartest guy around for sure!

I´ll try to go thru the long video whenever i have some minutes.

Thanks for the hard work! This looks impressive!
Hi there,

The Manual has a pretty easy-to-follow installation section. I'd start there and just have fun mapping. Trying to understand everything before installation could be overwhelming. I think it's just a matter of loading SK2 in and wrapping your head around it as you go.

Fortunately, the software's GUI is clear, so it will be very easy once you get the hang of it.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 10-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #76
Arthur McArthur

Leon this looks incredible! Looks like you've been busy! Congrats on the big 2.0 release.

I'm eager to try this out and have been trying to set it up with my Midi Fighter Twister, but am having problems getting the Learn to work in the Controller Map Creator.

My device is set up to Control Only, and it looks like it's sending MIDI correctly, but its not being picked up by the learn function. I do notice on the "LBX_CM_LRN" track that gets created, the LBX_CM_LRN plugin is unavailable.
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:23 AM   #77
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
Leon this looks incredible! Looks like you've been busy! Congrats on the big 2.0 release.

I'm eager to try this out and have been trying to set it up with my Midi Fighter Twister, but am having problems getting the Learn to work in the Controller Map Creator.

My device is set up to Control Only, and it looks like it's sending MIDI correctly, but its not being picked up by the learn function. I do notice on the "LBX_CM_LRN" track that gets created, the LBX_CM_LRN plugin is unavailable.
Hey Arthur!

Oooh. I'm a complete muppet. It seems I forgot to include that in the installer !

Hang on - updating now.

Thanks for being a proper tester. The CM Creator was only tested by me as all the 'official' testers had XTouch's lol.

Will let you know when I've updated
Old 10-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #78
Shuba

Quote:
Hi Shuba,

That's a bit annoying. Could you please let me know what hardware controller you are using?

Thanks,
Leon.
Hey Leon,

It's an x-touch, I'm running loopMidi and using an old iconnectivity midi interface. I'm pretty sure it's all properly wired, adjusting a fader with the mouse in reaper makes it move on the x-touch, adjusting it on the x-touch makes it move in reaper.

Cheers,
Brandon
Old 10-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #79
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post

CM LRN JSFX added to the zip installer.

Please reinstall - and try again

FYI - I think you'll need to use Relative 1 mode for the encoders (I think I added that specifically for the MFT but is completely untested as I do not own a MFT). Also ensure you set the encoder push buttons to the send midi when pressed and released setting.

Please let us know how you get on - or if you encounter any further problems.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #80
lb0

Quote:
Hey Leon,

It's an x-touch, I'm running loopMidi and using an old iconnectivity midi interface. I'm pretty sure it's all properly wired, adjusting a fader with the mouse in reaper makes it move on the x-touch, adjusting it on the x-touch makes it move in reaper.

Cheers,
Brandon
Ah - ok cool. Well you should have the perfect setup.

I will PM you my email address as it may be easier to solve via email.

Would you be able to email me a screen grab of the Properties window of a button assignment (that isn't working) first off...

Thanks,