Old 07-06-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Default LBX Smart Knobs 2

Smart Knobs 2 is out!

Direct download can be found here: SK2 zip file

Here is a link to the SK2 Manual.

Here is a link to the SK2 Setup Video.

Here is a link to the SK2 The Basics Tutorial.

Here is a link to the SK2 Control Map Creator Tutorial.

Discord support channel: #sk2-support.

Enjoy!!

Initial post:
Just a quick heads up: Smart Knobs 2 is just around the corner (but still, it's done, when it's done )

We have been talking about the project and some further details on sonicstate.com.
Here is the link to the podcast:
https://sonicstate.com/news/2021/07/...h-super-knobs/

And here's the new home of Leon's scripts:
https://www.lbxtools.com/

Feel free to post questions here. We will try to answer them.

Last edited by _Stevie_; 10-18-2021 at 11:06 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
buschag

System requirements? I run an old Mac for now. Really looking forward to this.
buschag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
X-Raym

Looks impressive!!

Quote:
We have been talking about the project and some further details on sonicstate.com.

Are you... Stephan Romer ?... Stevie/Stephan ?

You have your current expressive picture profile since so long I was surprised to see you differently - more relax actually haha
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #4
Zeno

Looks very promising!
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #5
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Looks impressive!!
Are you... Stephan Romer ?... Stevie/Stephan ?

You have your current expressive picture profile since so long I was surprised to see you differently - more relax actually haha
Haha, yeah, that's me!
I chose that avatar like 15 years ago on a different forum and kept it.
I hope I haven't caused too much damage!
Old 07-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #6
Skijumptoes

Saw the Sonic State vid, looking forward to what this brings.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschag View Post
System requirements? I run an old Mac for now. Really looking forward to this.
Reaper.

As long as you run Reaper and Reaper runs ok - SK2 should work. We haven't really tested on older systems - but it should work ok as long as it can handle the midi.

If you are using with an XTouch - with full feedback including scribble strips - then a decent midi interface is required - not a really cheap one that's likely to drop midi events. Most half-decent soundcards I've tried it with tend to have suitable midi ports - but a cheap £15 usb midi interface may struggle to keep up with the midi feedback at times.

Other controllers without scribble strips shouldn't have issues as the feedback requirements would be far less.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:14 AM   #8
SebyMusic

Default Presonus Faderport 8 with Smart Knobs 2

Hi, is there anyone who was able to make it work FP8 with SK2?
Is there any mapping please. I really need help to make it work.
tks in advance
Seby
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:02 AM   #9
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
Hi, is there anyone who was able to make it work FP8 with SK2?
Is there any mapping please. I really need help to make it work.
tks in advance
Seby
Hi,

Although I don't have a faderport - it certainly should work well with one. Have you watched the Control Map Creator (CMC) video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stvFjGjOcMY&t=1s

If you have any issues setting up a control map - let me know and I'll take a look at the FP8 manual to try and give you a hand with it.

It should be straightforward to set up the controls, and I should be able to help with setting up the scribble strips.

The best mode to start in - is if the FP8 has an MCU (or MC) mode - switch the FP8 to that - then open the CMC script and start adding and learning controls.

Then it's just working out suitable SYSX formats for the scribble strips (you could try the provided Mackie Universal formats - and if they don't work (they were added using a Project Mix IO in MCU mode) - it may need a little tweak.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #10
SebyMusic

Default Need help please about Midi feedback

Hello, I don't understand or find anything about it. I have put my motorized fader unit in midi mode wich transmit CC and can be learned in SK2. Now, in map creator, what should I put in feedback type? Should I put the same info as in midi type, midi chan and midi num? I'm totally lost. I tried everything and can't do it.
Please help me with maybe a video about it or something.
as for Scribble strip, this is the only thing I found in manual...
https://www.manuals.ca/presonus/faderport-8/manual?p=87

Have a nice one
Seby

Note: I have a Presonus FaderPort 8 controller in midi mode and also a BCF2000 and BCR2000.

Last edited by SebyMusic; 01-04-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #11
lb0

Quote:
Hello, I don't understand or find anything about it. I have put my motorized fader unit in midi mode wich transmit CC and can be learned in SK2. Now, in map creator, what should I put in feedback type? Should I put the same info as in midi type, midi chan and midi num? I'm totally lost. I tried everything and can't do it.
Please help me with maybe a video about it or something.
Have a nice one
Seby

Note: I have a Presonus FaderPort 8 controller in midi mode and also a BCF2000 and BCR2000.
Did you watch the video? What you are asking about the Feedback Type is explained in the video (bottom of text in the section from 2m43s).

You don't need to put anything in Feedback Type *IF* the feedback message is the same as the learned Midi Type. Most controls will not require the Feedback type to be filled in as the message will be the same as the input message type.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #12
SebyMusic

Hi again lb0, tks for your help and time. Here's a video about my problems in midi mode with any device that I have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lj8...el=SebyChannel
tks for you help
Seby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Did you watch the video? What you are asking about the Feedback Type is explained in the video (bottom of text in the section from 2m43s).

You don't need to put anything in Feedback Type *IF* the feedback message is the same as the learned Midi Type. Most controls will not require the Feedback type to be filled in as the message will be the same as the input message type.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:17 AM   #13
lb0

Quote:
Hi again lb0, tks for your help and time. Here's a video about my problems in midi mode with any device that I have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lj8...el=SebyChannel
tks for you help
Seby
Hi Seby,

Thanks for the video - good to see what you are doing.

I will reply in more detail once I've had time later to watch in more detail - but from as far as I have got in the video (where it's jumping the parameters of the plugin) - it seems as you've noticed - it is not getting any feedback.

My initial thoughts are that MIDI mode on the FP8 maybe doesn't react to any feedback? Is there an MCU mode you can set the FP8 to? Then relearn the fader in the CMC (map creator) - and try to see if it gets feedback then?

If you can try that - I'll reply in more detail later - once the kids are in bed
Old 01-04-2022, 10:29 AM   #14
SebyMusic

Hi again, yes, in MCU (Logic) mode, I can have feedback and it's working.
But my problem is with other device, like arduino for instance or other that are MIDI only.
tks
Seby

Quote:
Hi Seby,

Thanks for the video - good to see what you are doing.

I will reply in more detail once I've had time later to watch in more detail - but from as far as I have got in the video (where it's jumping the parameters of the plugin) - it seems as you've noticed - it is not getting any feedback.

My initial thoughts are that MIDI mode on the FP8 maybe doesn't react to any feedback? Is there an MCU mode you can set the FP8 to? Then relearn the fader in the CMC (map creator) - and try to see if it gets feedback then?

If you can try that - I'll reply in more detail later - once the kids are in bed
Old 01-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #15
SebyMusic

Default BR2000 Setup

Hi again lb0, now I wanted to setup a BCR2000 for plugin management.
Still I have no feedback, and don't know what to do.
Do you have anyone who had succes with this device

tks
Seby
Old 01-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #16
lb0

Quote:
Hi again lb0, now I wanted to setup a BCR2000 for plugin management.
Still I have no feedback, and don't know what to do.
Do you have anyone who had succes with this device

tks
Seby
I'm not sure I've heard from anyone about the BCR. I used to own one but loaned it to a mate years ago and haven't seen it since.

Behringer manuals are pretty awful on details so it can be hard to work out - but the encoders should be set to one of the relative modes and this would need to be matched with one of the relative SK2 modes (which I've no idea - but pretty sure at least one combination would work).

Regarding feedback to the encoder LEDs and buttons - you'd need to find out what the BCR expects as feedback (it's almost completely programmable if I remember correctly - so you should be able to set it up in a way that works).

You could ask on the SK2 support discord channel - there are a few people there that have various non-XTouch controllers. And google might help with trying to understand how to control the BCR as it's an old device and I suspect a reasonable amount of information regarding controlling it is available.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:59 PM   #17
SebyMusic

Quote:
I'm not sure I've heard from anyone about the BCR. I used to own one but loaned it to a mate years ago and haven't seen it since.

Behringer manuals are pretty awful on details so it can be hard to work out - but the encoders should be set to one of the relative modes and this would need to be matched with one of the relative SK2 modes (which I've no idea - but pretty sure at least one combination would work).

Regarding feedback to the encoder LEDs and buttons - you'd need to find out what the BCR expects as feedback (it's almost completely programmable if I remember correctly - so you should be able to set it up in a way that works).

You could ask on the SK2 support discord channel - there are a few people there that have various non-XTouch controllers. And google might help with trying to understand how to control the BCR as it's an old device and I suspect a reasonable amount of information regarding controlling it is available.
When you say expect, is there a way to find what a controller expect as midi channel or CC or else?
tks
Seby
Old 01-04-2022, 06:02 PM   #18
lb0

Quote:
When you say expect, is there a way to find what a controller expect as midi channel or CC or else?
tks
Seby
Like I said - the BCR is programmable so you're probably not going to find a document with all the mappings on there - but there may be a way to find out what midi is assigned to each control via the controller itself (edit mode maybe). But I don't know - it's been over 10 years since I've used a BCR.